Antique Car Museum

Florida

Auto Repair Facility And Display For Automobiles

(TSP070076) (12-18-20-002-0000) located on 16.71 acres at 6800 Mahan Drive. The proposed project is for the construction of two new buildings that will add an additional 20,400 square feet of space to the existing antique car museum. The property is zoned IC (Interchange Commercial).

• 1 month later...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New auto museum set to open

New attraction expected to draw 20,000 annually

The area may have found its golden ticket to increase tourism numbers with the opening of the Tallahassee Automobile Museum.

Saturday, the two-story, 95,000-square-foot museum will be unveiled to the public from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Located at 6800 Mahan Drive, it's easily accessible to travelers on Interstate 10 at Exit 209A.

Dozens of automobiles are a given, but the museum features five antique pianos, a collection of outboard motors, retro cash registers and brass fans, among other things.

Owner DeVoe Moore said his passion for collecting historic cars and artifacts is rooted in his appreciation of his forefathers.

"No one else has the first car made in America," said the opinionated founder of the museum. "Little old Tallahassee has the first car made in America (and) Abraham Lincoln's hearse. You just don't see those in every city."

Source: TDO.com

Chow Chow Chow! As you know DeVoe has a legacy of constructing ugly buildings in Tally.

Currently he has the International Drive mega tacky sign to advertise the museum plus just before the exit (that's Exit 209a/b FL :P ) on I-10 he has the brown colored signs (often used for State Parks/Historical Sites etc.) that note that the museum is coming up.

Since he has all those "goodies" in the museum, what he really needs to do is advertise them on some billboards several miles to the east and west of the museum. Something like "Come see the Batmobile or the first car ever-made" w/a picture of it on the billboard.

I'm not sure how many folks this will draw, but I'm always amazed at how many people visit Don Garlit's Museum of Drag Racing in Bellview (Ocala.) Gear-heads are a very devoted bunch!

Today We went to the Car Museum and it was AWESOME!

I went with Gearhart and Saw Florida there with his nephew.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves!

2003387541518019097_rs.jpg

2003365251578107750_rs.jpg

2003340144625830943_rs.jpg

2003369842761195773_rs.jpg

2003364554639481375_rs.jpg

2003346199972005025_rs.jpg

2003361023745945712_rs.jpg

This is just for you poonther, I knew you would be proud to have your old car in the museum!

2003301304212645951_rs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Originally published February 12, 2008

Ensley: It's a car museum that frustration built

By Gerald Ensley

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

carmuseumdayxc5.jpg

DeVoe Moore can give you an earful on how growth-management regulations are killing developers like him. How the construction permitting process is too slow. How politicians and the public don't realize the importance of development to the community.

But sometimes, such frustration produces benefits. That's how Tallahassee got arguably its best tourist attraction.

Source/More: TDO.com

Archived