Mississippi Coffee House

tombarnes

I am a hotel manager, but I have been fascinated with hotels since I was a child. I don't know why exactly, but hotels have always had a strong hold upon me. Maybe part of it was that I have always done a lot of traveling, but it's also that a hotel is a city or town's chance to put its best face forward. Something like reserving the best rooms of one's house for guests, a city or town should always try to make its hotel(s) unique and interesting. In a world of Hilton Garden Inns, I'm not always sure this is happening anymore. Hotel rooms have become a commodity, for better for worse.

I am a hotel manager, but I have been fascinated with hotels since I was a child. I don't know why exactly, but hotels have always had a strong hold upon me. Maybe part of it was that I have always done a lot of traveling, but it's also that a hotel is a city or town's chance to put its best face forward. Something like reserving the best rooms of one's house for guests, a city or town should always try to make its hotel(s) unique and interesting. In a world of Hilton Garden Inns, I'm not always sure this is happening anymore. Hotel rooms have become a commodity, for better for worse.

I was wondering if you were somehow connected to them or not. But I have noticed you mentioning them often. :D

I was wondering if you were somehow connected to them or not. But I have noticed you mentioning them often.

I do tend to talk about hotels a lot.... :lol:

No I'm not connected to them like you are. It's probably more to the fact that Arkansas has had some nice older hotels and I just happened to mention them or appreciate them. :D

Well, since you've got some inside track maybe, perhaps you could keep us updated on the status of the Memphis project to turn the old Chisca Hotel into some sort of Hilton development, as well as the status on the Memphis downtown Embassy Suites.

Also, if you find out, I'd be really curious to know the name of the "5 star" hotel being pitched for Memphis' One Beale project.

Finally, any info on the hotel operator for that proposed domed resort thing in Tunica?

Edited by sleepy

I'll try to look into the projects you have mentioned. I tried calling the development group in Edmonton about the Myriad project. They aren't ready to release any names, but I think Fairmont, being a Canadian company, just might be in the running. Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons are long shots, but the latter is also a Canadian company. As for the Chisca, I hope they will be releasing more details soon. I'll try to dig around to see what I can find.

Edited by tombarnes

While we have an off-topic section, I thought I might add a section where various and sundry issues about Mississippi could be discussed. Whether it's politics, architecture or sports, go ahead and post it here.

To explain the name, there is a tiny town in Mississippi, southwest of Laurel, called Hot Coffee. To learn more about it, click the link to the multimedia show found at the National Geographic.

Edited by tombarnes

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I stayed at the Peachtree Plaza a couple of years ago. My room was also on the 65th floor- or possibly the 67th. The room was decent enough, but oddly shaped. The views from the Sundial restaurant above are truly noteworthy.

The Hilton in Memphis has an excellent view from the upper floors, or even the elevator, which is glass, allowing you to see out as you ride up. It is a very nice hotel that's definitely worth a stay. The restaurant on the first floor is amazing at breakfast! The pool stays cold all year though do to the fact that the nearly 30-story eclipses it from the sun, but that's no big deal!

I've heard that the Hilton in Memphis had a good renovation a couple of years ago. It was built as the Hyatt Regency back in the 70's, but had most recently been the Adam's Mark. I stayed there when it was the latter. Actually, I stayed there for a job interview with Adam's Mark. It is supposedly vastly improved. The views are spectacular.

Yes the hotel was wonderful. Great service and room quality. All the upper floor rooms feature floor to ceiling windowns, not sure about the lower levels. The lobby was very modern and very interesting. I remember there being a huge fountain in the center. Also it was surrounded by a pond filled with ducks and had a little island type thing with a gazebo. I'll see if I can dig up some post-renovation pictures.

Hilton Garden Inns generally fall in the midle range of the pack as far as ratings go- about *** on average. Most do have full-service restaurants, but these hotels are still at the upper end of the limited service market. What distinguishes them is their generally fresh and attractive approach to room design. They are not daring or inventive, but usually don't offend. The price points are usually high enough to make them attractive to investors, while low enough to snare business travelers. The Pottery Barn of hotels perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Guilty on All Counts

James Ford Seale was convicted today of the murder of two men in 1964- Henry Dee and Charles Moore. Sentencing will take place in August. While this is belated justice, it is justice all the same. I am pleased to see Mississippi stepping forward to atone for its past sins.

The Jackson Free Press

And just how much "atonement" is needed for the state of Mississippi as a whole? And for how long? Or will this be a perpetual thing with people considering southern states, Mississippi included, to have committed "unpardonable sins"?

I'm sorry but I get tired of folks blaming the entire state perpetually for the sins of a few from the past. If justice hasn't been done, then pursue justice fairly. But continually holding the state responsible even to this day with the current generation who had absolutely nothing to do with the sin originally is irresponsible and woefully unfair.

Personally, as someone born and reared in Mississippi, I find what Seale did abhorant and his punishment should fit the crime, but there are those who hold me, as a former Mississippian, partially to blame even though I was only a wee child when the crimes occurred simply because I am originally from Mississippi. Is this fair? When will those people finally forgive the state (and southern states in general)? Or will they hold it over southern states like the Sword of Damacles forever?

Edited by Beukeboom

I see your point. Mississippi has been held to a standard which has not applied to other Southern states. While it might be said that the (not so) recent history might invite closer scrutiny, I do agree that Mississippi has been unfairly targeted to some extent. The best course is simply to acknowledge the sins of the past, do the best one can in the way of atonement and then move on. Other states have been allowed to move on, so why not Mississippi? There are a few ways in which Mississippi could expedite the process of moving forward- namely the flag issue. While I respect the right of the citizens of Mississippi to choose their own symbols, I think it is gravely detrimental to the state to continue flying the stars and bars of the Confederacy in the state flag. Perhaps this will change if another vote is taken.

• 1 month later...

The state is changing, however much people may not want to believe it's true. There is undoubtedly a long way to go, but I'm not quite sure I understand in what way Mississippi has prevented the MEmphis area from growing. If you are referring to the Medical Center, then this is an issue which does need to be addressed, but need not be representative. The attitudes of suburban flight on display in DeSoto and Tunica Counties are not unique to those places. In order to function in a regional way, the Memphis area will need to think as a region.