Detroit Highrises outside of Downtown

Exodus

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only is this probably not the best forum, but the whole way you are going about this just seems wrong. Not trying to be mean, but I doubt posts like this will get much interest. If you can't link to certain sites, maybe you should rethink the types of photo posts you want to make. Emporis.com doesn't allow the linking of their photos, and people could just as easily go to the site seeing as how most people don't like to click on links in a photo tour.

Not only is this probably not the best forum, but the whole way you are going about this just seems wrong. Not trying to be mean, but I doubt posts like this will get much interest. If you can't link to certain sites, maybe you should rethink the types of photo posts you want to make. Emporis.com doesn't allow the linking of their photos, and people could just as easily go to the site seeing as how most people don't like to click on links in a photo tour.
Ah, but the only difference is that they can click right to the pics instead of just laying out the list for them, which they would spend more time shuffling through the site just to find them. Plus, if they were to just link to the site doing that, there wouldn't be any real point to this thread. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Wyandotte has 5 highrise buildings in its downtown, though none meet the 12-story minimum. Four of them are residential while the fifth is a hospital.

Wyandotte Hospital is either 10 or 11 stories:

002.jpg

This senior highrise is 9 stories:

007.jpg

This apartment building is 10 stories:

009.jpg

This apartment building is 11 stories:

011.jpg

This apartment building is 11 stories:

017.jpg

The intersection of Pennsylvania and Fort St. has two 12+ story buildings. One is a 16 story National City Banking Center while the other is 12 story residential tower.

You can see them both in this picture. You can also see a portion of Wyandotte Hospital on the right edge of the picture:

001.jpg

Pointiac, Birmingham and i think i remember Dearborn having a few taller buildings as well, there are no tall buildings outside of DT here in GR, I think the tallest is a 6 or 8 story apartment of 28th street and there are none in any of the subburbs. I think that the 12 floor building planned for EGR would have been allright but they cut it to 6 floors, the shell of metro hospital in Wyoming looks pretty tall and if Wyoming really wants a "downtown like they talk about", they should stop building 3 story hotels, I am sure there could be a 10 or even 15 story apartment or office building somewhere near 28th and 131or by rogers plaza

Wyandotte is the second oldest incorporated city in the Metro Area. It became a city in 1867. It was originally the site of a Wyandot Indian village in the 1730's, but by the 1820's the Indians had left and whites began moving in. By the 1870's the population was over 2,000. It's claim to fame is that it was the first place in the world where the Bessemer process was used in steel-manufacturing.

The city developed pretty independent of Detroit, but was swallowed up by sprawl in the 1940's and 50's. The city still maintains much of its independence, despite being in the middle of suburban Detroit. It's the only city in the metro area that maintains its own power company, cable company, and water company. Many of the streets and roads also have different names within the city. For instance, Northline is referred to as Ford Ave in Wyandotte, while Jefferson Ave is referred to as Biddle Ave.

At its peak in the 1960's, Wyandotte had about 45,000 people in it's 5.3 sq. mi. However, much of that land is dedicated to industry, so the true population density is much higher. Today there are a little under 30,000 people in the city.

rendering_large.gif

^ That has been approved in Saint Clair Shores, and a second phase (if the first phase goes well) will be 33 stories. Does anyone have any more info on it? I just found out right now that it was going to be more than, like, 5 stories.

There is already "Shore Club Apartments" which is 26 stories, but there isn't a picture to be found of it on the internet.

There is already "Shore Club Apartments" which is 26 stories, but there isn't a picture to be found of it on the internet.

Here is the web site for Shore Club Apartments:

http://www.shoreclubapartments.com/home.asp

The "Skytower" Appears to be the 26 story portion but the photos of it are "comming soon." By the floor plans, it looks like it could be a potentially interesting tower.

rendering_large.gif

^ That has been approved in Saint Clair Shores, and a second phase (if the first phase goes well) will be 33 stories. Does anyone have any more info on it? I just found out right now that it was going to be more than, like, 5 stories.

After some research a few months back, I've been told that this project is on-hold, and they don't know when they'll be able to start. Apparently, the development wasn't as popular as they thought it would be.

I heard about that project a while ago too, and everytime I heard about it, it kept on getting more and more scaled back.

I personally wonder what effects that building would have on traffic.

andrew, that building is already done (I'm guessing the 70's or 80's) and if you knew what the building looked like you'd know why there aren't any pictures of it. It's not good enough or bad enough to say "look at that!".

andrew, that building is already done (I'm guessing the 70's or 80's) and if you knew what the building looked like you'd know why there aren't any pictures of it. It's not good enough or bad enough to say "look at that!".

I knew It was already done. I meant that the website currently doesn't have any pictures of it yet but only says "photos comming soon."

Cool Wyandotte pictures. Are there any other nice downriver towns?

Wyandotte and Trenton are the only traditional downtowns in the Downriver area, though several of the cities do have older shopping districts. Allen Park probably has the third best pedestrian-friendly shopping district along Allen Rd between Pelham and Southfield. (Think a smaller, less-progressive version of Ferndale). Lincoln Park has a quasi-downtown at Fort and Southfield (though the intersection isn't very pedestrian friendly and many of the buildings are empty). River Rouge and Ecorse both have older downtown-esque areas, though abandonment has become a problem. Flat Rock has an older traditional downtown, but it isn't that large and a lot of it has been redeveloped over the years.

Here's a few pics of Trenton:

004.jpg

017.jpg

029.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

006.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

019.jpg

019.jpg

026.jpg

016.jpg

041.jpg

013.jpg

Do you guys have any pics of Oakland DT's? Other than pontiac, I know in Oakland County there are a few cool city center places. From what I remember Birmingham is very cool.

I have pictures from 2 downtown in Oakland County, Milford and South Lyon.

Here are my pictures from Milford. It is a village of a little over 6,000.

100_1094.jpg

100_1095.jpg

100_1096.jpg

100_1097.jpg

100_1098.jpg

100_1099.jpg

100_1104.jpg

100_1100.jpg

100_1101.jpg

100_1102.jpg

100_1103.jpg

100_1105.jpg