Adelicia Rising at last?

it's just dave

Two towers had been discussed quite some time ago. A St. Louis company had proposed a 28-story and a 25-story, but it was a bit ambitious at the time, so that one died. I'm glad our local guys are the developers on this one in this neighborhood, more sensitivities to the area are more likely I would guess. This will ultimately be one helluva corner. Timing is everything, and it seems the time is here.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the view would be impaired somewhat but that is the side of the Adelicia that has open sides to the garage. This is what prompted me to ask if they were planning on screening the garage there (as they had done on the front) and tha is when he said thet the street facing the garage (Adelicia Street) was really an alley road and that the garage from the new building would face that side. Also if mybearing are correct it is the least impresive view opening up to SoBro and continuing South.

Construction sites often seed the dirt, its a speedy way to prevent water runoff onto the streets below. I wouldn't be concerned, it's just a courtesy...or a regulation.

You'll notice the same thing on road construction following initial grading. Teams plant everything from grass to this corn looking stuff to hold the dirt in place. Then they bulldoze it.

Thanks for the info. You've made my day. Have they started selling units in the Icon yet?

• 6 months later...

Someone remind me, will this project have street level retail/dining? It needs to so as to fit in the neigborhood.

The side that faces Adelicia Street will have the entrance to the parking garage and street level townhomes with access to the townhomes from the street. The 20th Ave. side and the Chet Atkins Place side appear to be set up for street level dining/retail.

Thanks for the construction pic. Things are moving along. How many floors of parking are there?

I don't know how many floors, but I do know that you are allowed to purchase 2 when you buy a unit. Depending on location they are either $10, 12 or $15,000. So don't forget to roll those babies into your mortgage.

• 1 month later...

I have a good friend who worked in the (R/E) Campus Development office at Vandy until this past summer. He told me that the developers are planning a 25+ story condo at the corner of Broadway and 21st across from the law school. Developers are considering a "premium" (5 star???) brand hotel in a second tower if feasible (we've heard that before haven't we?). It's still early in the dev. phases. Vandy does not control that parcel. It's where the IHOP used to be.

I have a good friend who worked in the (R/E) Campus Development office at Vandy until this past summer. He told me that the developers are planning a 25+ story condo at the corner of Broadway and 21st across from the law school. Developers are considering a "premium" (5 star???) brand hotel in a second tower if feasible (we've heard that before haven't we?). It's still early in the dev. phases. Vandy does not control that parcel. It's where the IHOP used to be.

Sounds kinda like an old proposal for a 27 story apartment in that area that was eventually shouted down by neighborhood residents who objected to the height. The 18 story Adelicia was as much as 'they' would allow. I am wondering if that's old news they have.

On the other hand, it was reported in this forum a year or so ago that a twin to Adelicia was under development. So, who knows. I'll cross my fingers that this is true. It would be great to see more residential in the ever growing Mid-Town area. If I had to move, that's probably where I would live. Mid-Town is to Nashville what Cambridge is to Boston and I really liked Cambridge after my recent stay there.

I just spoke to William about this, and this is NOT correct. To his and my disappointment, Vanderbilt has NO plans for this lot except a surface parking lot.

The reason the Adelicia is one 18 story building, is the former developer previously wanted a 20 and 28 story development called the "University Towers", and was rejected by the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Metro Planning Department because of the height. Thank Rick Bernhardt for that.

Regardless, William has spoken with Vanderbilt several times and they are always forthright with him and there are no current plans for this site.

I'm not trying to rumor monger. In fact, I'll say that I trust William's knowledge on this more than my friend. He's very reliable on the stuff that Vandy is actually building (although not much longer now that he's gone). He's pretty reliable on the periphery. Still, I wouldn't discount what he knows as far as long term. I'll get him to give me the certitude of this rumor. Actually, he reads this forum sometimes. So I'll try my best to get more. Sorry to raise this prematurely.

Sounds like potential for a premium project in a premium location. Would be great to see that stretch of 21st Ave and Broadway activated at the street. By 'the developers', do you mean the same as those building Adelicia?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived