New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

What's everyone been doing these past few days? I've just finished watching "Gone With the Wind" for the first time. I must say that it is one of the few movies that actually lives up to and exceeds the hype it gets (and if you don't believe me, there are people all over the world who'll tell you the same. Just search the net). It's well worth the 4 hours it takes to watch it (part of it even is set in New Orleans for all you New Orleans forumers out there!)

NCB, you should give this thread some sort of New Orleans name, like "The French Quarter" or something ith "Off-Topic Postings" as the subtitle.

I've had the Flu for a few day's now, and one thing that I've been working on is trying to figure out how to get more members and more action going on in the Louisiana forum. I actually watched "Gone With the Wind" on wednesday for about the 5th time, and enjoyed it just as much. Last night I sat back and enjoyed the 1950's film "A Streetcar Named Desire" which is a fantastic movie set in and based on the New Orleans Desire Street streetcar line.

BTW, great idea about the name for the off-topic thread. Any other suggestions for a name pertaining to New Orleans?

I've had the Flu for a few day's now, and one thing that I've been working on is trying to figure out how to get more members and more action going on in the Louisiana forum. I actually watched "Gone With the Wind" on wednesday for about the 5th time, and enjoyed it just as much. Last night I sat back and enjoyed the 1950's film "A Streetcar Named Desire" which is a fantastic movie set in and based on the New Orleans Desire Street streetcar line.

BTW, great idea about the name for the off-topic thread. Any other suggestions for a name pertaining to New Orleans?

"A Streetcar Named Desire" really is a great play. I haven't had the fortune of seeing the movie yet, but I'd love to watch it if I could find out when it is on. The title is also one of my favorite book titles of all time.

Yeah, I agree. We need more people to participate. This is a great forum, focused on discussions, not just copy/paste news articles. Hopefully word will get out.

I agree that actual discussion is far better than merely pasting articles in the hope of discussion. Tenessee Williams was quite a character. Having just seen Capote, I wonder if Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote had pleasant relations. Capote was such a mess, but one wonders what the two thought of each other. It was interesting to see Harper Lee portrayed in the movie. To Kill A Mockingbird was one of my favorite books while growing up. Harper Lee has maintained a very low profile indeed. What do you think of the charges that Capote wrote most of her book? I rather doubt it, but he may have had a very heavy hand in editing.

Edited by tombarnes

Yeah, I agree. We need more people to participate. This is a great forum, focused on discussions, not just copy/paste news articles. Hopefully word will get out.

Don't worry. That is against UrbanPlanets rules, and any pasting of articles will be deleted ASAP. We encourage you to reference them and link to them all you like. This should be a place to discuss the articles, not read them. Also, just give it time. We just created the NO section. People will come around. Besides that, this section already has quite a few intelligent and dedicated forumers. That is what it takes to increase participation.

So, how should we get the word out about UrbanPlanet? I know that there re dedicated forumers in New Orleans, and I'm sure that there are people across Louisiana who would love to discuss development in their areas, but how do we get the word out?

So, how should we get the word out about UrbanPlanet? I know that there re dedicated forumers in New Orleans, and I'm sure that there are people across Louisiana who would love to discuss development in their areas, but how do we get the word out?

I've wondered about this too. I've posted on a local Fayetteville city website that's set up so people can discuss topics dealing with the city. I posted a link to Urban Planet. I think it's helped get people to at least look as guests but I'm not sure if any are joining in yet. But I've also wondered ways to try to help bring people over. Other than simply posting as much info as possible so that people will come across us when they do a search on a topic.

^Yea, for me it would be much easier to find a way to try to bring in New Orleans members, because I am familiar with other New Orleans business and development forums, but I really don't know how to get people in say Shreveport or Lake Charles to check the forum out.

I have posted small blurbs about the site in the Sun Herald and Clarion Ledger blogs. I have noticed a little traffic, but not much. I suppose I'll have to think of something else. Maybe renting the Goodyear blimp.....

Haha, yea and after that, we'll get primetime TV commercials during the Super Bowl. ;)

You can add a link to the wikipedia sites for your various cities and the state. Mentioning us on other forums is always helpful, but don't be overtly agressive about it. Add links to you signature. The main thing to building this section will be to continue with the excellent discussions, and keep at it. It takes patience to accomplish this. Eventually it will take off, and you'll never look back. This is what happened in every forum we have. Just have patience...

You can add a link to the wikipedia sites for your various cities and the state. Mentioning us on other forums is always helpful, but don't be overtly agressive about it.

Haha, yeah, I.....er......uh........got in a little trouble for that.... :blush:

Add links to you signature. The main thing to building this section will be to continue with the excellent discussions, and keep at it. It takes patience to accomplish this. Eventually it will take off, and you'll never look back. This is what happened in every forum we have. Just have patience...

Very good ideas indeed.

Even without a lot of promotion, membership will grow, but it will take a lot longer.

Having prominent members around the entire UP forum (ones who post in several of UP different forums aside from their home state or city's one like NCB, for example) doesn't hurt, either.

Edited by ironchapman

Yeah, as nate knows, I got torn a new one by the folks at HornetsReport for promoting this site. Not sure how to go about it, but including it in the signature helps, as I think NCB has done at HornetsReport... right?

BTW, my avatar speaks for itself... an idea lost on many in this country, including our president after last night's state of the "union"(excluding Louisiana) but an idea that will bind us locals together forever...

Edited by TSmith

What's everyone been doing these past few days? I've just finished watching "Gone With the Wind" for the first time. I must say that it is one of the few movies that actually lives up to and exceeds the hype it gets (and if you don't believe me, there are people all over the world who'll tell you the same. Just search the net). It's well worth the 4 hours it takes to watch it (part of it even is set in New Orleans for all you New Orleans forumers out there!)

NCB, you should give this thread some sort of New Orleans name, like "The French Quarter" or something ith "Off-Topic Postings" as the subtitle.

Gone With The Wind is one of the few movies in the pre WWII era that I can tolerate. Not just tolerate,but actually enjoy. It's not hard to see why it's the biggest movie ever,based on inflation, considering what people had to watch back then. My mom got the 2 vhs package back around 1987,and a few years ago I bought her the DVD, single disc, still have to flip it which is a bummer. It should've contained the entire movie on one side.

My avatar is a picture (of me) taken a couple of years ago at a hotel in Florida. I've always liked it, so I thought I'd use it here as well.

I'm almost surprised that I haven't yet been reprimanded by the Sun Herald or Clarion Ledger for placing posts on their sites with a link. I need to think of other places.

Edited by tombarnes

Yeah, as nate knows, I got torn a new one by the folks at HornetsReport for promoting this site. Not sure how to go about it, but including it in the signature helps, as I think NCB has done at HornetsReport... right?

Yea, I know exacly what your talking about. And yep, I just have a link to the Louisiana forum over at HornetsReport.

My avatar is a picture (of me) taken a couple of years ago at a hotel in Florida. I've always liked it, so I thought I'd use it here as well.

Interesting! I must say I do like your avatar!

• 2 weeks later...

I just found these new population figures on Wikipedia.

1810--39,242

1820--76,176

1830--132,082

1840--200,193

1850--209,375

1860--240,675

1870--301,418

1880--335,090

1890--387,039

1900--423,104

1910--501,075

1920--519,219

1930--555,762

1940--607,537

1950--691,445

1960--739,525

1965--804,108

1970--755,471

1980--660,515

1990--569,938

2000--484,674

2005--521,197

Where on earth are they getting these numbers from? Are these for real or is someone just having a good delusional time posting false numbers?