New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

I just found these new population figures on Wikipedia.

Where on earth are they getting these numbers from? Are these for real or is someone just having a good delusional time posting false numbers?

Interesting. I really thought the first change that Wikipedia made to the numbers was actually pretty accurate, but I have no idea where some of these figures came from. The highest census recorded population in New Orleans was 602,000 in 1960, though everyone has known that the estimated population was close to 700,000 in 1965, but I have no idea where 804,000 came from.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get some action in the off topic thread, here is an off-topic question. :D

What does your avatar represent? As is obvious, my avatar is the Louisiana state flag.

My current avatar is one of the logos of the Atlanta Thrashers hockey teams.

My avatar up until I picked this one was one of the video game character Ratchet of the Ratchet and Clank Video Game series.

NewRatchetAvatar6.jpg

Yeah , I do not want to see New Orleans fall ! Hopefully Hurricane Seasons in the future will be more merciful ; though the trend has been troubling .

Fact is , many Hurricanes have spared the "Big Easy" in my lifetime; from Fredrick ,Andrew, Opal , Georges, Ivan , Lili , etc... sooner or later it was bound to happen ! The coast-lines are eroding and land is sinking , sea-levels are rising , NOLA is such a vulnerable place . Much like NYC..and LA and SF out-west bulit on fault-lines with earthquakes !

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't stir up a hornets' nest or anything, but I figure some of you New Orleans forumers will be interested in this:

Popular Mechanics: Debunking the Katrina Myths

It's a long read, but it's thorough and they've done their research.

Edited by ironchapman

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Nagin should be ashamed of himself, he of ALL people believed the reports of mayhem painted by the press & public officials. Now, did he really think people were actually stupid enough to have gunfights in the Superdome, knowing someone would be caught in the crossfire? There was only ONE attempted rape of a little girl, but the fool who tried that quickly got done in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm going to the French Quarter Festival tommorow, and I wanted to ask if any of you have been yet, and if so, how was the atmosphere, music, food, etc? I've been nearly every year for as long as I can remember, but I'm interested to see if the atmosphere of the first FQF since Katrina is noticeably different.

Expect plenty of pictures as well! :D

Well guys, I just got back from the French Quarter Fest, and man was it great! That was by far the most people I had seen in the city since Katrina, and for the first time since Katrina, I forgot all about the hurricane and what it caused in New Orleans. Everyone was happy, music was great and everywhere, the food was fantastic, tourist's were everywhere, which was great to see, and everyone had a smile on their faces, from old people to kids in strollers. :D It was just great. Ang I took 394 pictures throughout my trip into the city, and will post quite a few of them a bit later in the Photos forum. :thumbsup:

I was down there today as well. Unfortunately...I forgot my camera. However...I'll be at Jazzfest next weekend so I'll definitely be taking pics there. The crowds were huge and everyone was having a blast. I enjoyed the Prime Rib from the Rib Room booth in Woldenberg Park....good stuff. Saw an awesome Cajun band on Royal St. and a great Congo drum session in Armstrong park. To be honest...that was the first time I walked down Rampart from Conti to St. Ann. Man...there is so much potential on that street. I didn't realize it until now. I never noticed it while driving down Rampart...but on foot it's a magnificent street...with a great stock of buildings waiting from some TLC.

Anyone else go this weekend.

^It's going to be great to have one of the best aquarium's in the country open back up again! They were re-stocking more exhibits with fish yesterday actually. :D

Very cool. I love that place. My wife actually had to drag me in there last year, but when I finally went in, I was thoroughly impressed and do want to go back in the future.

My wife actually had to drag me in there last year, but when I finally went in, I was thoroughly impressed and do want to go back in the future.

It's pretty cool isn't it? It's been consistently ranked as one of America's best aquariums since it opened, and I've always thought it was great. My favorite part is probably that 30 foot glass tunnel where the fish are swimming around you, I've always loved that.

It's pretty cool isn't it? It's been consistently ranked as one of America's best aquariums since it opened, and I've always thought it was great. My favorite part is probably that 30 foot glass tunnel where the fish are swimming around you, I've always loved that.

To me, that tunnel is the coolest part of all, actually.

To me, that tunnel is the coolest part of all, actually.

Same here, it's just amazing when you walk in, walk under the tunnel, and look all around you and see nothing but water and fish. It's pretty cool.

For those not familiar with the aquarium, here's the tunnel we're talking about. (Sorry for the small size of the photo)

caribbean.jpg

Same here, it's just amazing when you walk in, walk under the tunnel, and look all around you and see nothing but water and fish. It's pretty cool.

For those not familiar with the aquarium, here's the tunnel we're talking about. (Sorry for the small size of the photo)

caribbean.jpg

^Yes, that is awesome. To those who've never been to New Orleans, the aquarium isn't optional, it's mandatory! Seriously, I doubt anyone who visited that place wouldn't like it.