New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

The only aquarium I've been to that might be somewhat comparable is the one in Galveston.

That's a fantastic aquarium too. It, along with Aububon Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans is ranked as one of the best aquariums in the country year in and year out. :thumbsup:

^I've seen that movie, and yes, it has some very shocking footage. It's a side of New Orleans most don't see, and it is interesting to watch some of the footage, because you will almost certainly never see this on your own in the city.

I like how the narrator said point blank, there are no gangs in N.O & it's true, there are no gangs here, just wards beefing with each other from time to time.

Yep, and you'll never see gang signs in the city either, you'll only see different ward numbers spray-painted in other wards, for the most part. Though hasn't there been more gang type violence now with the influx of hispanics in New Orleans?

Yep, and you'll never see gang signs in the city either, you'll only see different ward numbers spray-painted in other wards, for the most part. Though hasn't there been more gang type violence now with the influx of hispanics in New Orleans?

Yep, but for the most part it's minimal. Now I'm not racist in the least bit, but the hispanics that come into certain wards trying to run things, quickly get sent back via gunfire.

Now I'm not racist in the least bit, but the hispanics that come into certain wards trying to run things, quickly get sent back via gunfire.

Yea, that is almost completely expected. If the people in some wards didn't want people from other wards coming in and trying to take over, I would seriously doubt they would let some hispanics in either.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah don't get me wrong... I wouldn't mind seeing it. I just thought yall knew of some place I could watch it for free.... online or something.

If you don't like using file sharing programs, I'm pretty sure the video is $5-10 and I've seen it in a few video stores around the city.

I got this idea from the Miami/South Florida forum. Let's do a round of New Orleans facts/trivia. I'll start: Second line, New Orleans

*One thing worth mentioning about the Second Line is that it is a vital part of New Orleans culture, it has been going on for years. Onlookers would go as far as to join in, or get ahead of the band & first line, which is frowned upon by elder New Orleanians.

I mentioned this in the Lagniappe topic but it's probably more fitting here. I was curious what you guys thought about the possibility of losing some of the New Orleans dialects. There seems to be a distinct possibility that a lot of New Orleans natives won't return. Any ideas or guesses on how all of this will effect dialects there?

I mentioned this in the Lagniappe topic but it's probably more fitting here. I was curious what you guys thought about the possibility of losing some of the New Orleans dialects. There seems to be a distinct possibility that a lot of New Orleans natives won't return. Any ideas or guesses on how all of this will effect dialects there?

I've thought about this a bit, and I'll tell you what I think. Most of the people who were from areas where the New Orleans accent was strongest are back in the area, or plan on coming back. So I think you may here the accent more around the area, and it may be blended in with people from around other parts of SE Louisiana, but it won't die out. Though you may not here it as much in the parts of the city where it was originally strongest. The New Orleans accent has been blending in with normal speech for quite some time, and while it will most likely continue to get heard less and less, it will never die, and I don't think you'll ever have a hard time hearing it around the area.

Being a newcomer to the area a few years ago...I was shocked by the accent in New Orleans...and especially St. Bernard Parish. It reminded me of the accent a buddy of mine from college had...he was from New Jersey. It also took me back to my many visits as a child to Chicago where the strong Eastern European heritage led to a very "rough" accent. I was expecting something more Cajun...but I later found out you don't get that till you get over to Lafayette and Houma.

Post K...the St. Bernard accent is much more prevalent on the Northshore nowadays. I certainly hope it doesn't get diluted over time...

Post K...the St. Bernard accent is much more prevalent on the Northshore nowadays. I certainly hope it doesn't get diluted over time...

Oh yes, especially over here in west Saint Tammany. The largest group of evacuee's who came to Covington/Mandeville were from Saint Bernard, and you can definately tell by walking around places like supermarkets and gas stations.

I was curious as to how people in NO are responding to Nagin's reelection.

For the people who supported Landrieu, it now seems to be a "I didn't vote for him, but I wish him the best and will stand behind him as he leads our city forward" situation. Not everyone wanted Nagin to win, but he's our man, and we all need to support him. Check out the "2006 New Orleans Mayoral Election" thread in the New Olreans forum to get a better idea of what people on this forum were saying after Nagin won re-election. :thumbsup:

I've thought about this a bit, and I'll tell you what I think. Most of the people who were from areas where the New Orleans accent was strongest are back in the area, or plan on coming back. So I think you may here the accent more around the area, and it may be blended in with people from around other parts of SE Louisiana, but it won't die out. Though you may not here it as much in the parts of the city where it was originally strongest. The New Orleans accent has been blending in with normal speech for quite some time, and while it will most likely continue to get heard less and less, it will never die, and I don't think you'll ever have a hard time hearing it around the area.

True, and accents and dialects aren't necessarily set in stone, they do change over time as well.

Being a newcomer to the area a few years ago...I was shocked by the accent in New Orleans...and especially St. Bernard Parish. It reminded me of the accent a buddy of mine from college had...he was from New Jersey. It also took me back to my many visits as a child to Chicago where the strong Eastern European heritage led to a very "rough" accent. I was expecting something more Cajun...but I later found out you don't get that till you get over to Lafayette and Houma.

What little I've heard so far I have to say I was rather surprised as well. I'm a bit more surprised this isn't mentioned more.