New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

What little I've heard so far I have to say I was rather surprised as well. I'm a bit more surprised this isn't mentioned more.

That's the reaction most people seem to have when they first hear or learn about the New Orleans accent. It's one of the many things most people outside of the area don't know about New Orleans.

That's the reaction most people seem to have when they first hear or learn about the New Orleans accent. It's one of the many things most people outside of the area don't know about New Orleans.

It's just odd that it doesn't seem mentioned as much as you'd think. It's a very unique accent, particularly compared to other southern accents.

Post-Katrina, how many killings did New Orleans end up with at the end of '05? I was hearing N.O. would get 300+ by year's end.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the number of murders was in the single digits or low teens. But where did you hear that New Orleans could have 300+ murders by the end of '06? :blink: New Orleans didn't hadn't even had that many murders in a year years before Katrina.

The closest New Orleans has come to 300 murders in this decade was in 2003 when the city had 274 official homicides. True, the city was on pace to eclipse that figure in 2005, but since crime rates went down after Katrina, the number of homicides for the year ended up somewhere around 215. This figure is still nowhere near the record-breaking 421 homicides recorded in 1994.

EDIT: As far as 2006 goes, the relatively low number of homicides so far makes even 200 murders for the year unlikely

Edited by bluff2085

The closest New Orleans has come to 300 murders in this decade was in 2004 when the city had 274 official homicides. True, the city was on pace to eclipse that figure in 2005, but since crime rates went down after Katrina, the number of homicides for the year ended up somewhere around 220. This figure is still nowhere near the record-breaking 421 homicides recorded in 1994.

The early 90's where the years where New Orleans was often referred to as "the murder capital of the world"

Not something to be proud of...

• 2 weeks later...

Bang Bang Bang! I see dead people, 52 slain, count 'em

The last time this many people were taken out was back in 2000, when 6 German tourists were shot up in the French Quarter. Just shows you how much of a contrast there is in Uptown. One minute you're in a upper-class, multi-million $ area, and the next you're in some of Uptown's most treacherous areas. Those same people who shot up those young folks, they'll be dead within 3 months.

The last time this many people were taken out was back in 2000, when 6 German tourists were shot up in the French Quarter. Just shows you how much of a contrast there is in Uptown. One minute you're in a upper-class, multi-million $ area, and the next you're in some of Uptown's most treacherous areas. Those same people who shot up those young folks, they'll be dead within 3 months.

Not to be cliche', but it seems like black-on-black crime in New Orleans is pretty high. (read: the 5 kids shot yesterday). Also, the same article posted by SBCmetroguy noted that many of the perpetrators ultimately became homicide victims themselves. This suggests that crime in N.O. is HIGHLY isolated and pretty much dependent upon what neighborhood you live in (i.e., uptowners are safe if careful...) What can be done about this? New Orleans had 1400+ police officers before Katrina. I know the numbers have gone down, but seriously, get on the streets and stop this bullsh!t. 5 kids in one day is out of control.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I live right off St. Charles and I love hearing the streetcars pass by at night.

Top CBD Office Space Booming

90% of New Orleans' class A office space is occupied. Maybe we could see a new office building built in about the next 5 years?

Wow, nola, I bet that's a cool area to live in... especially due to the streetcar sounds.

Wow, nola, I bet that's a cool area to live in... especially due to the streetcar sounds.

I love the streetcar sounds, and even though I don't live off of Saint Charles, that streetcar is special to me. That's the streetcar I spent the most time on growing up in the city, and I always thought it was great that I was riding on the oldest operating streetcar in the country. :D

Top CBD Office Space Booming

90% of New Orleans' class A office space is occupied. Maybe we could see a new office building built in about the next 5 years?

That 90% occupancy rate, as well as the post-Katrina prices for rental rates per square foot, are definately impressive. As are the rates on the Northshore in the Covington-Mandeville area. I would expect to maybe see a new office tower sometime in the next 5 years or so, but thats just my view.

^Well Richy, if the current trend continues in terms of office space occupation and prices per square foot continuing to increase, I would really expect to see an office tower proposed that would be tall enough for us all to be very excited and proud about. I mean I'm happy with any high-rise, but you know what I mean. ;)

That's really sad, but familiar to me. I used to live in a really nice apartment complex in one of the nicest areas of Shreveport. But you turn a corner (literally) and you're in the worst neighborhood in the entire city. Amazing how nice areas and bad can be built so close together. But then again, when the nicer area was built, the other area still wasn't half as bad as it is now.

I really like New Orleans skyline. Great scene to represent urban Louisiana. In the U.S. I would have to rank it in the Top 20 ! It would be easy to say the tallest building(One Shell)at 697' in the CBD was my favorite. But my FAVORITE high-rises in New Orleans in architecture and look are:(no particular order)

23-story Freeport-MacMoran Bldg.(curved side is the best;sleek design)

Place St.Charles(NO's 2nd tallest)

Energy Center(4th tallest)

Texaco Center(every city needs a sloped roof in skyline)

Dominion Tower(26-stories;406')

Edited by richyb83