New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

Anyone interested in seeing my street just days after the hurricane? Here's a video a siteseer documented as he drove down it. You can make out my house, but just barely. This was before I moved in.

My street

Your link has an extra protocol http:// in it, so it's not working. However, I was able to bypass the link and go straight to it.

It must have been odd seeing your street like that on the 'net!!

Your link has an extra protocol http:// in it, so it's not working. However, I was able to bypass the link and go straight to it.

It must have been odd seeing your street like that on the 'net!!

I actually watched it first in Ohio. Katrina came just 2 weeks after I went there looking. I was desperate to find any information on how the house was.

It's great that you can watch it, but I can't. Quicktime doesn't seem to want to be loading for me.

^ Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

An interesting read if anyone is interested; any thoughts ?

French Quarter awaiting tourist return

One says "CNN's negative coverage has flatlined tourism".

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/3493301.html

Interesting facts in box on the right; 28,000 hotels rooms in New Orleans WOW !

Edited by richyb83

I seriously doubt anyone on the CNN staff has been to the French Quarter. I was in the French Quarter all weekend and it does have a sizeable amount of foot traffic. I'd say the Quarter is already back to normal. Mardi Gras 2007 is coming up, and u know that's gonna bring in $350 million for the city.

P.S: On a side note, why isn't the MS Gulf Coast getting any coverage. Yes, New Orleans got leveled by Katrina, but Katrina did as much, if not more damage to the Gulf Coast <_<

I seriously doubt anyone on the CNN staff has been to the French Quarter. I was in the French Quarter all weekend and it does have a sizeable amount of foot traffic. I'd say the Quarter is already back to normal. Mardi Gras 2007 is coming up, and u know that's gonna bring in $350 million for the city.

P.S: On a side note, why isn't the MS Gulf Coast getting any coverage. Yes, New Orleans got leveled by Katrina, but Katrina did as much, if not more damage to the Gulf Coast <_<

The tourists are already beginning to file back into the city, especially the French Quarter. Foot traffic has greatly picked up just in the last few weeks. When I spent last weekend just walking around the Quarter, people were everywhere on the Riverfront, there wasn't a seat open in Cafe Du Monde, Jackson Square was alive with people, the streets were full, every restauant, bar, store, etc. was filled, and the streetcars were packed. CNN doesn't want to report things like this because that's not what gets the ratings. People don't want to see recovery stories anymore, they want to see destruction, problems, scandals, and all of that stuff. This Spike Lee film coming out in a few weeks doesn't seem like it will shed positive light on the recovery process either. In a commericial I saw on Showtime, he sad that "the city doesn't even have 1/4 of its population back yet." That's saying that a city that is now estimated to be nearing the 250,000 mark in population, doesn't even have 115,000 people back.

Also, occasionaly local news stations show stories being run in cities like Houston and Dallas, and the "evacuees" they interview always hurt New Orleans' image. You always end up with some woman from the 9th Ward yelling about how "nothing has been done in New Orleans" and how "it looks the same as it did on August 29" which is just silly. I certainly understand that most of these people have lost everything, and are still New Orleanians, but I wish they would realize, or at least mention, the fact that there is a difference between "nothing has been done in New Orleans" and "nothing has been done in the 9th Ward." Honestly, nothing really has been done in the 9th Ward, but say that instead, because there is more to New Orleans than the 9th Ward, Lakeview, Gentilly, New Orleans East, etc. We need to get the message out that many parts of New Orleans are just as good as they were pre-Katrina, and telling millions of people across the country that nothing has been done here, is just hurting that.

Very cool photos, Uptown! I've always thought those camelback shotgun houses in Uptown were cool. :D For anyone curious, the Shotgun House originated in New Orleans, and can now be found everywhere around the country.

Here's the typical floorplan for a single shotgun house with a bathroom:

228px-Shotgun_house_plan.jpg

Very cool photos, Uptown! I've always thought those camelback shotgun houses in Uptown were cool. :D For anyone curious, the Shotgun House originated in New Orleans, and can now be found everywhere around the country.

Here's the typical floorplan for a single shotgun house with a bathroom:

228px-Shotgun_house_plan.jpg

Yep! Nothing to them! Did you draw that or find it?

Thanks yall for a bit of Delta Deep South Culture. ;)

Well Baton Rouge must be New Orleans little brother when it comes to shot-gun houses. Dixie, Easy Town, Eden Park, The Bottom, SpanishTown East, Zion City, South BR, over 1/2 North BR, Southern U, Airport/Rosenwald, Scotlandville, etc. I had a friend that stayed in one. The floor-plan was so narrow, almost like the one you posted.

^Alot of the shot-gun houses wished they looked as good as the ones Uptown posted.

Edited by richyb83

800px-Uptown7June06CJPeeteUnitedWeStand.jpg-Magnolia Projects, one of the projects set to be destroyed to make way for the Central City condo project. It was a great contributor to New Orleans' horrendous murder rate. Famous natives are rapper Juvenile, Soulja Slim (murdered in '03), and countless others. Edited by NCB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sweet pic! I love how the skyline emerges from over the trees :thumbsup:

That's one of the main reasons I love the view of the skyline from Uptown. You see lots of old homes, live oaks, and quiet streets, and suddenly the skyline just hits you, and you see these massive (well, big at least) buildings popping up in the distance. :thumbsup:

NewOrleansCBDfromUptown.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nate,

Thanks for the invite (from the s'port / bossier forum). I was reading that someone was looking on how to get the word out about UrbanPlanet. Have you tried posting a link on nola.com's forums?

You mentioned Covington, and I find myself driving there twice a day to bring my son to school now. I may eventually move that way from Mandeville just to avoid continuing the drive over and over and over!!!

You mentioned Covington, and I find myself driving there twice a day to bring my son to school now. I may eventually move that way from Mandeville just to avoid continuing the drive over and over and over!!!

Oh, I can only imagine how much you enjoy all of the traffic! :D