New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

I posted the local feed of that story over the Development Thread. Basically, there are a few major high-rise projects that have a future right now, which includes the Trump project and Tracage. The city's recovery chief exects the recovery to pick up in a few months, and I have hope that we'll end up seeing that as a reality.

Does anyone else think a story about how many New Orleans area high-rise developers are taking a "wait and see" approach to developing in the city isn't really front page news on a national website? If it were just a local story, that's one thing, but I could give you many topics from New Orleans that would better serve as major national news.

Maybe it's just me?

Indictment Sought for Jefferson

Representative William Jefferson may be indicted soon on charges of bribery and corruption. The $90,000 found in the freezer in his house on Capitol Hill should be indictment enough. Can't Louisiana be rid of him? It's sad to think that he was reelected.

The Washington Post

Edited by tombarnes

Indictment Sought for Jefferson

Representative William Jefferson may be indicted soon on charges of bribery and corruption. The $90,000 found in the freezer in his house on Capitol Hill should be indictment enough. Can't Louisiana be rid of him? It's sad to think that he was reelected.

The Washington Post

You'll recall that Jefferson was endorsed for re-election by our own Mayor Nagin. This may become somewhat counterbalanced if Bobby Jendal is elected governor. Some of my Indian friends, however, are skeptical of his chances. What say you?

:shades:

People get what they ask for and are paying the consequences. I can't believe Ray Nagin is still in office. Him, Blank-o and Jefferson all need to go. The corrupt Jefferson is just keeping the political dogma torch lit for Louisiana. Give me some of that "free" Katrina $ :rolleyes:

Is Louisiana truly ready for a good house cleaning??? Then Jindal's the man. But who knows?? If Nagin can still win NOLA; and Jefferson remain in office; then no....Louisiana can settle for the staus quo and just hope to get by.

:offtopic:

It still amazes me how Blank-o found enough buses to get alot of NOLA voters to the polls; yet where were the stinkin' buses to get people out from the Hurricane days before?? Nagin's to blame too.

This analogy is gross but it fits. We all feel constipated at some point in time, even if we haven't stuffed ourselves with food. When we feel this way, we take a laxative to clean ourselves out and we feel much better. New Orleans, and Louisiana have been stuffed with so much incompetence & corruption that it's about to bust if someone doesn't come along and clean house.

It still amazes me how Blank-o found enough buses to get alot of NOLA voters to the polls; yet where were the stinkin' buses to get people out from the Hurricane days before??

Real Talk. It's funny how buses can magically appear to get voters to the polls but are nowhere to be found before & during Katrina. People want to come down on rappers for their violent, sexist & misogynistic content but they were the first ones to step up. They bought evacuees new homes & transportation out of their own money. Did FEMA, the City Of N.O. or the state do any of that? NO. Houston took in the bulk of Katrina evacuees, and unfortunately they're paying for it through a violent crime spike.

Wow! another blow for the state of Louisiana not New Orleans , but the state as a whole. Sometimes I really want to bail out on New Orleans my heart is telling me to stay here ,but my mind is telling me to get the hell out. I'm really tired of the polotical bulls**t that is occuring in this state . People are saying oh everything is getting better Education, Jobs , Crime and the reast of the crap that goes along with it , but the fact of the matter is it's not getting any better the situation in this state cannot be sugarcoated. We can't put the balme on anyone , but ourselves Louisiana has hurt itself , it's always a black and white thing in louisiana and until we come together as ONE and fight crime and corruption the state will be up sh*t creek. In a way I place a little partial blame on myself with the Education situation , because I never went to any school board meeting or protested that our schools be taken care of . My kids didn't attend public school so, I would just ignore the problems that our schools had . I was being selfish, because I can afford to send my kids to wonderful schools and live in a wonderful neighboorhood ,but one thing that I forgot was that everyone didn't have those same privilages I forgot that those kids that are in a horrible public school system were my kids (not biological) and that they deserve to be in a system that's not broken. Louisiana only has one time to get it right ONE , and if the state dosen't get it right this time I'm afraid I will not be apart of the rebuilding process and alot of people will not be apart of it. We aren't just rebuilding New Orleans we are rebuilding the whole state of Louisiana . Back to the main subject of jefferson 235 is too much time for one person to serve, the feds should split those years amongst some of Louisiana's most infamous poloticans you guys know who they are.

Edited by eastover neworleans

People fail to realize that just because you don't have children in public school, doesn't mean you are immune. Your friend could have came through the public school system, so you should at least educate yourself for their sake on public school issues. The only way Louisiana can get better is if the citizens take the time to study the candidates very carefully. Find out what they're about, where they stand, etc. You can tell if a potential mayor or governor is about what they say they're about by their track record. If they're full of caca, call them on it. Folk are too scared to confront the issues. If I see something wrong, I'm gonna speak on it regardless of who may come against me. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. That's how I see it. I'm thankful for DVDs like New Orleans Exposed, they show the REAL New Orleans, not the sugarcoated version. Yes, DVDs like New Orleans Exposed are raw but they get to the root of why New Orleans & Louisiana is in the shape it's in. When Katrina decimated New Orleans, 80% of the city was decimated but check this: The Quarter & Garden District didn't get flooded but the rest of the city did. One would think if 80% of New Orleans was flooded, the Quarter & Garden District would suffer the same fate but they didn't because they were built on higher ground. I want to say that 9th Ward will be back but it's rather difficult when no progress has been made there, and if so we don't hear anything about it.

This has been a UrbanPlanet Public Service Announcement from Derrick aka UptownNewOrleans. :shades:

For everyone's viewing pleasure, the brand new NOPD squad car

Nopdcar.jpg

The Houston Chronical's editorial stated it quiet adequately: Jefferson should either explain or resign. Considering that any explanation will be unbelievable, I think he should just resign. The House Ethics Committee is conducting an investigation and will be concluded in thirty days. They should toss him out on his corrupt rear.

THEN, we can all vote for Ray for Congress and then get a new Mayor! 99.5, in its 5-7PM drive-time afternoon segment, is running a tongue in cheek draft Ray for Congress campaign.

I actually don't think he'd be so bad as a Congressman. He's just pathetic as a leader, though. He has no sense of who he is. In front of business people, he speaks relatively eloquently. However, when he's at an African American preacher's conference, he changes the tone of his voice and his accent and starts to speak like the English language is foreign to him.

• 3 weeks later...

"Best Cities for Young Professionals"

Forbes list

New Orleans ranked #24 on Forbes "Best Cities for Young Professionals" list, which included 40 cities. NOLA was ranked behind the Southern cities of Atlanta, Washington D.C., Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville. On the other hand, it was ranked ahead of Houston, Dallas, Greensboro, NC, Miami, Norfolk, Orlando, San Antonio, and Tampa.

24. New Orleans, La.

A high cost of living to low salaries and the lack of top big and small businesses may be influenced by problems stemming from Hurricane Katrina. In our other metrics, NOLA did well, 17th in attracting young professionals and third for its percentage of never-married people in their 20s and 30s.

faa7_1.JPG

Another must-see DVD. Much like New Orleans Exposed, this DVD is raw & uncut. If you're shocked by seeing kids carrying guns and blowing blunts, this isn't for you. This video shows the harsh realities lived by inner-city New Orleans youth & USA. Sad thing is, most of these kids won't make it to 18 :(

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

faa7_1.JPG

Another must-see DVD. Much like New Orleans Exposed, this DVD is raw & uncut. If you're shocked by seeing kids carrying guns and blowing blunts, this isn't for you. This video shows the harsh realities lived by inner-city New Orleans youth & USA. Sad thing is, most of these kids won't make it to 18 :(

Really, really sad! A Great American Tragedy(one of many). This is truly a sad day and a sign of the times. It must be like Hell for many of those inner city youths. Hard to imagine in the after-life the ruthless juveniles experiencing much worse?? :scared:

Nice T-Shirt Nate....I had been wondering where Nagin has been?? What's he been up to?? :dontknow:

Well, it looks like C. Ray is at Essence Fest! ;)

Essence reclaims 'rightful home'

Music, cultural fest called crucial to N.O.

T-P article

The festival is expected to draw 200,000 visitors and $130 million to the city.

Analysts predicted occupancy rates at local hotels to hover around the mid-80 percent range during the festival, but William Langkopp, executive vice president for the Greater New Orleans Hotel and Lodging Association, reported hotel occupancy rates in the low 90s.

Seriously though, it's great to have Essence Fest back in the city, as it is a major boost for the hotels and lots of the businesses around here in the usually slow summer tourism months. It sounds like all of the major hotels in the city are completely full, and most of the smaller hotels downtown and in the Quarter are nearly full, which is great.