New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

Did anyone see the NBC Nightly News piece on the "Pioneers rebuilding New Orleans" on Sunday? It was excellent, and I'll try to find it on the internet. It's always nice to see the good things going on here getting national attention, and it was great to see that the piece made a point of addressing the recent population growth here. :thumbsup:

Great story. Thanks for posting

Well, it's nice to get positive press from someone other than The New York Times. I wish CNN and Fox News would help the country focus on the positive aspects of NOLA.

Thanks for the post, Nate. It helped ease me out of my funk, somewhat.

Edited by JPKneworleans

New Orleans makes a push to host the NFL draft

ESPN Article

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans is hoping it gets picked for the NFL draft.

The Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation has sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seeking to host the annual draft and turn it into a week-long celebration -- complete with events including a Mardi Gras-style parade and civic events involving retired NFL players.

Hey Derrick, did you call into Garland this afternoon? I was listening while headed down Tchoupitoulas towards Audubon Park, and heard the caller, Derrick, mention that he grew up around the Magnolia Projects, and that lightbulb in my head went off. :lol:

If that was you, you made some excellent points! It took me so long to put two and two together mainly because I was thinking "this guy is making some great points" and Garland certainly agreed. :thumbsup:

Well like I said man, you made some excellent points! Especially about the government being "by the people-for the people" and our politicians representing us as people.

I also completely agree with what you said so many of the poorest residents in our city. For the most part, most of the people living in poverty, in the projects and such, aren't there because they didn't have opportunities. A few decades ago, that would have held true, but in 2007, every generation, I believe, has an opportunity to make something of their lives. Of course I didn't grow up in poverty, but I've gone to school and worked with too many people who have, that really "grew up" at one time or another and made something out of their lives to believe that society gives those residents no chances. One of the biggest problems in New Orleans is that so many of the poverty stricken residents have no interest in going out into the world and getting a career and eventually setting up a new life. And you can't simply say that they haven't had any opportunity to do so, because it has been like this for 30-40+ years now, and the people who did want to make something out of their lives, have certainly had chances to do so in all that time.

Real Talk. Just because 3 generations of your family grew up dirt poor doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Be the first one to break that cycle. Most inner-city people are on some "the man is holding me back" nonsense. They hold themselves back. At the same time, why would inner-city residents want to make legit money when you can make $500 a day on the block? Growing up in the hood, you want that easy money & hustling/selling drugs is the way to go. Problem is, you triple your chances of getting knocked off because of a drug deal gone bad or you try to take over someone else's block and they let you know what's up. All that money they made, they won't be able to enjoy it because you will get locked up sooner or later. Interesting piece of info: Most people have the misconception that drug dealers/hustlers are rich but that's mostly false. The average dealer, unless he has a product that's in high demand, makes less than/at minimum wage. This is from someone who has been there, done that & got his mind right. When I read about rappers & celebrities that grew up in the ghetto and made it out, it tells me they want to do better. Inner-city people must want to do better; But many of them feel that making something of themselves means they're being white and they don't want to be seen as being "white" so they're content with being in the hood. For a lot of people in the ghetto, that's all they know (poverty) and they don't understand anything else but that.

Real Talk. Just because 3 generations of your family grew up dirt poor doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Be the first one to break that cycle. Most inner-city people are on some "the man is holding me back" nonsense. They hold themselves back. At the same time, why would inner-city residents want to make legit money when you can make $500 a day on the block? Growing up in the hood, you want that easy money & hustling/selling drugs is the way to go. Problem is, you triple your chances of getting knocked off because of a drug deal gone bad or you try to take over someone else's block and they let you know what's up. All that money they made, they won't be able to enjoy it because you will get locked up sooner or later. Interesting piece of info: Most people have the misconception that drug dealers/hustlers are rich but that's mostly false. The average dealer, unless he has a product that's in high demand, makes less than/at minimum wage. This is from someone who has been there, done that & got his mind right. When I read about rappers & celebrities that grew up in the ghetto and made it out, it tells me they want to do better. Inner-city people must want to do better; But many of them feel that making something of themselves means they're being white and they don't want to be seen as being "white" so they're content with being in the hood. For a lot of people in the ghetto, that's all they know (poverty) and they don't understand anything else but that.

Very well said, Derrick( if it's ok for me to call you that) alot of people growing up in the inner city think that they can't break that cycle of poverty, it is all they know. I wish I was Mayor of this city , because first off before you tell people what they should and should'nt do you have to educate them. Back to the main point if I was Mayor of New Orleans I would have career high schools, a high school for Business, Medicine, Culinary Arts, Cosmotology, and a school of Design. If we implement this plan the kids living in the inner-city would have something to look forward to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a wonderful story in the New York Times about New Orleans East ..... scroll down and take look at the video to your left; http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/us/natio...nyt&emc=rss

The New York Times has been very good to New Orleans, which is more than I can say about most other newspapers in this country. The editorial page of the Times has particularly been very kind, and also very critical of the federal government.

• 5 weeks later...
K-Ville. If you haven't seen the premier episode of K-Ville, you lost. The first episode started off with a bang and I expect that trend to continue. It showed New Orleanians trying to move on from the storm. Unlike a lot of TV crime dramas, this one is real. It deals with real-life crime issues that N.O. faces, such as the lady who got shot in the Quarter. This is a hit :shades:

Depression on the Rise?

An article in the Washington Post cites a sharp rise in rates of depression in New Orleans. While this is not surprising, it is a depressing statistic. I hope that New Orleans can find the courage to reclaim its place. As a friend there noted however, perhaps it is better to think of New Orleans as moving forward than attempting to reclaim its past.

The Washington Post

• 2 months later...

The Metro section of today's edition of The Times-Picayune has an interesting article about the new inspector general and his budget. Also, a letter to the editor praised the IG and indicated that she believed that he can turn New Orleans around.

There is no question in my mind that, at least from what I have seen, Mr. Cesaroli is the right man for this job. If he can handle Boston, he can handle New Orleans.

I am beginning to feel like the person who wrote to the editor. I am beginning to feel optimistic, and it is great that the City Council approved his budget. I am also heartened by the fact that the council supported him unanimously, although I question whether Cynthia Willard-Lewis' support was genuine. I believe Cynthia Hedge-Morrell's support was genuine.

We could very well be on the road to recovery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone who follows N.O. & Louisiana rap like I do has probably heard about New Orleans' rapper C-Murder's murder charge. He's out of jail but still has to face trial for the murder of a 16-year old in a N.O. nightclub. I don't understand these rappers at times, they have fame & fortune and still get caught up in drama. So far C-Murder is staying out of trouble and I hope he keeps it that way. Another N.O. rapper Lil Wayne might go away for a long time due to the recent drug case. In a way I feel bad for Wayne because he had nobody to show him the right way, but he has fame & fortune most folk would kill for and he throws it away being stupid. I hope he gets off but if he doesn't, maybe jail will get his mind right.

Here's the article if you're interested in reading

PHOENIX -- Lil Wayne was arrested on three felony drug charges Wednesday after federal agents said they found illegal drugs including cocaine on his charter bus at a checkpoint in southwestern Arizona.

The rapper (real name: Dwayne Michael Carter Jr.) was being held at the Yuma County Sheriff's jail on state drug charges, Capt. Eben Bratcher said.

Carter appeared via video arraignment late Wednesday morning in a court in Wellton, 35 miles east of Yuma.

James Tilson, a local lawyer retained by Carter, said his client was not formally charged and his next court date was scheduled for Jan. 25.

"We will find out by Jan. 25 whether or not the (Yuma) county attorney will file charges or not," Tilson said. "He is looking forward to his day in court. That's all I can say right now."

His bond was set at $10,185. Tilson said they were working on his release.

The 25-year-old faces charges of possession of dangerous drugs, narcotics and drug paraphernalia.

Bratcher said Carter's bus was stopped about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at a Border Patrol checkpoint near Dateland, Ariz., 78 miles east of Yuma.

Drug Enforcement Administration spokeswoman Ramona Sanchez said a Border Patrol canine unit alerted agents to the presence of illegal drugs on the bus. Among what a search yielded: nearly four ounces of marijuana and just over an ounce of cocaine as well as drug paraphernalia. DEA agents then arrested Carter, who was traveling with 11 others.

Officials also found a .40-caliber pistol registered to Carter, who has a concealed weapons permit in Florida. Authorities are looking into whether he violated any weapons laws in Arizona.

Two other men were arrested with him; they each face a charge of possession of marijuana.

In October, Carter and several other rappers were named in a federal lawsuit filed by music publishing companies, accusing them of sampling other artists' songs without paying licensing fees.

Rapper Birdman and Lil Wayne won a viewers' choice award for their song "Stuntin' Like My Daddy" at Black Entertainment Television's 2007 Hip-Hop Awards.