Father of the Laser

goodbye

Many people - even local residents - don't realize that one of the most important and revolutionary technologies globally in use today was the discovery of a genius man from Greenville. Dr. Charles Townes invented a device called a maser, which would later lead to his development and patent of the laser. The City of Greenville has said that they will honor Dr. Townes with a plaza along Main Street, next to RiverPlace. A bit of history on this great inventor would be highly beneficial, especially in light of such local praise. You can read a very brief excerpt from the book: GREENVILLE: Woven from the Past, by Nancy Vance Ashmore Cooper here. :shades:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Topic, Skyliner!

There are other items that can be found via google:

Also, Dr. Townes has authored a book, "How the Laser Happened: Adventures of a Scientist"

Check out the Web Cast of the Cal Berkeley Interview. It lends great insight on Dr. Townes' life. :thumbsup:

I LOVE that photo, RT! :wub: You captured the plaza in its current state well. I noticed the other day that one of the first tenants along this plaza, The Grape, now has its logo in the windows along Main Street and Camperdown Way. It will be a great location and certainly one destined to succeed. :thumbsup:

Here is the link to a Greenville News article about the unveiling of the Charles Townes statue. It sounds like the city has a lot planned to honor him, and the laser, in the months and years ahead.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/602040321

Great article! Can you guys imagine a laser show along all the downtown rooftops? That could be incredible! Talk about a tourist draw! :thumbsup: On a tourist draw side note, while downtown yesterday evening, ran into a cool group from Sweden. They were just here for a couple of days because their friends in Atlanta had told them what a cute place it was. They were using a digital recorder and had the camera's going. Nice group to chat with....they LOVED Greenville! One of he guys said it's the cleanest (he used the term "tidy") US city he's seen. :D

What do they mean by "a laser kiosk on I-385". I thought a kiosk was a thing at the airport where you can get your tickets and check your bags easier.

There will be a place to park your car near the kiosk, just off of I-385. You go to the kiosk and press the button for the type and color of lasers you want to see projected into the sky! :rofl:

I don't know the exact term they are refering to, but it sounds like an information "board" or sign. Most often the word "kiosk" is used to describe an information desk or table, and with today's technology you see many interactive computer kiosks in tourist locations. I've been interested in pioneering such a device for downtown Greenville for a couple years. :)

Yea, I read it as meaning an information kiosk as well. Those things were really popular when I was in college. Heck, I even connected my BellSouth Telephone Service with one in the Reitz Student Union at U.F. when I first moved to Gainesville, FL. The only problem I see with such kiosks is maintenance. They wear out and break very easily, especially when exposed to the elements.

I do think this is a good idea, by the way! :D

RiverPlace ... around the centerpiece fountain area between the Hampton Inn & Suites and Terrace at RiverPlace, would be a good location, too ... maybe even in the lobby of the Hampton Inn & Suites or the Hyatt Regency (to keep them out of the elements).

I don't know the exact term they are refering to, but it sounds like an information "board" or sign. Most often the word "kiosk" is used to describe an information desk or table, and with today's technology you see many interactive computer kiosks in tourist locations. I've been interested in pioneering such a device for downtown Greenville for a couple years. :)

Here is another take on Kiosk. In Japan, almost every JR train station will have a "Let's Kiosk" stand right on the platform. (I guess they changed it to a verb. :lol: ) Here you can get your Manga, bottles of Pocari Sweat (it moistens the body), cans of Coffee Boss coffee, bento boxes, and Shigikix candy to hold you over during your journey.

LetsKioskLg.jpg

store2s.jpg

Archived