Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

It really isn't as bad as you would think - crossing Peachtree / Lenox / Loop to go between Lenox & Phipps. But it isn't fun - fortunately there are enough people that do cross & to get to the Target & Circuit City shopping centers, so you're in company. But it is still dangerous - hopefully the streetscape project will fix that.

I live to tell about the day I foolishly tried to walk along the Buckhead loop between Peachtree & Piedmont. Crossing Peachtree is nothing. Try crossing the GA 400 intersections. Deadly! :wacko: And NO, I wasn't on 400, I was on the B-Loop.

I live to tell about the day I foolishly tried to walk along the Buckhead loop between Peachtree & Piedmont. Crossing Peachtree is nothing. Try crossing the GA 400 intersections. Deadly! :wacko: And NO, I wasn't on 400, I was on the B-Loop.

LMAO. Are you talking about that weird intersection north of Tower Place above 400? Talk about a deathwish, I got nervous the first time I drove that stretch. Buckhead doesn't seem too scary for walking especially around the village area and I've always noticed people walking from Lenox Mall to other places so it can't be that bad. I dare any of you to try to cross Barrett Parkway in front Town Center Mall by foot and live to tell it. I can't remember any sidewalks in the area.

Speaking of which, besides some areas downtown (i.e., Five Points) and midtown, what sections of Atlanta are really walkable?

Decatur and some parts of Ponce De Leon Ave

(Not in the city of Atlanta but not that far out)

Edited by Hotlanta

Lets see, on the NE side - the main drag (Highland) through Morningside down into and encompassing Virgina-Highland. IMO, one of our best areas.

Emory Village for a couple of blocks. The Buckhead Village area. Little Five Points, Inman Park & Lake Claire. Downtown Decatur, Cabbagetown, Oakhurst, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park and West End. Sections of Midtown, particularly around the edges of Piedmont Park.

Some burbs have done a nice job with their downtowns. Roswell, Marietta, Norcross (on the cusp of a BOOM), College Park (on the cusp of a mini-boom), Duluth (still evolving) and Buford (ditto). Watch out for Lawrenceville, and especially Woodstock - it's next.

Anybody think of any I've left out?

Lets see, on the NE side - the main drag (Highland) through Morningside down into and encompassing Virgina-Highland. IMO, one of our best areas.

Emory Village for a couple of blocks. The Buckhead Village area. Little Five Points, Inman Park & Lake Claire. Downtown Decatur, Cabbagetown, Oakhurst, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park and West End. Sections of Midtown, particularly around the edges of Piedmont Park.

Some burbs have done a nice job with their downtowns. Roswell, Marietta, Norcross (on the cusp of a BOOM), College Park (on the cusp of a mini-boom), Duluth (still evolving) and Buford (ditto). Watch out for Lawrenceville, and especially Woodstock - it's next.

Anybody think of any I've left out?

I agree with that list. I live near Lenox and despite its reputation I find it fairly walkable, although it can certainly stand some improvments. (Hopefully we're getting some of them now). I'd add the other university centers -- Emory, Ga. Tech, Atlanta University, Georgia State, Agnes Scott -- to the list as well.

You've also got neighborhoods like Howell Station and Home Park that are pretty walkable, and many of the older areas in Buckhead such as Peachtree Hills and Peachtree Park are pretty good for foot travel.

In addition, there are other vast areas of Atlanta that are walkable, especially on the west side. Altanta is definitely a car city, but I don't think it would be that difficult to kick things up a notch for pedestrians. As we've all remarked, it's never going to be Manhattan but that isn't the only alternative for a walkable, liveable urban environment.

• 1 month later...

What's happening with the Neiman Marcus expansion- how big, what departments are expanding, etc.?

The current store is just over 150,000 square feet. It will expand to over 200,000 square feet. The majority of the expansion will occur on the upper level and basement level of the store. The main level will expand. Taking over the space held by Brasserie Le Coze and surrrounding stores like Cartier. I don't think Hermes or Versace Jeans are moving.

The rest of the mall will expand as well. IIRC, it's the area near the movie theatre. That expansion is 30-40 thousand square feet.

Lenox and Phipps are great; both are great malls. Frankly though I'd rather shop in NYC because the department stores there have more selection because they're larger.

Yes indeed, we all wish that....but how many of us actually do?

I like the fact of having such a nice Neimans in Atlanta. It's getting bigger so we should definitely be real proud. This way, we can bank that $2300 round trip ticket to NYC and invest in more rental property.

The current store is just over 150,000 square feet. It will expand to over 200,000 square feet. The majority of the expansion will occur on the upper level and basement level of the store. The main level will expand. Taking over the space held by Brasserie Le Coze and surrrounding stores like Cartier. I don't think Hermes or Versace Jeans are moving.

The rest of the mall will expand as well. IIRC, it's the area near the movie theatre. That expansion is 30-40 thousand square feet.

Actually, cbv - the area of the mall that is expanding is the same wing as Neimans. They are adding a 2nd level to tie in with the main concourse of the mall. The Neimans expansion is 54,000 square feet.

While that doesn't sound like much, it's actually the total size of the entire store in Orlando!

As for now, the Bloomingdale's at Lenox is the 3rd largest in the country - but soon to drop to 4th when the new San Francisco store opens this fall. :D

Actually, cbv - the area of the mall that is expanding is the same wing as Neimans. They are adding a 2nd level to tie in with the main concourse of the mall. The Neimans expansion is 54,000 square feet.

You're right. I honestly couldn't remember. Neiman Marcus is already on the main concourse. the upper level was an addition to Lenox.

Neiman Marcus at Lenox is currently 154,000 square feet. The expansion will bring the total to 206,000 square feet. The 35,000 sq. ft. expansion will be seperate from that total. Again, IIRC!

What I do know is NM at Mall of Millenia is just under 100,000 sq. ft. :) The Charlotte store, however, is one of the smallest in the chain (until the boutique stores open later this year). It's just under 90,000 sq. ft. Makes me mad...

Edited by charlotte_bon_vivant

You're right. I honestly couldn't remember. Neiman Marcus is already on the main concourse. the upper level was an addition to Lenox.

Neiman Marcus at Lenox is currently 154,000 square feet. The expansion will bring the total to 206,000 square feet. The 35,000 sq. ft. expansion will be seperate from that total. Again, IIRC!

What I do know is NM at Mall of Millenia is just under 100,000 sq. ft. :) The Charlotte store, however, is one of the smallest in the chain (until the boutique stores open later this year). It's just under 90,000 sq. ft. Makes me mad...

Well CBV.....you could always do like some of your fellow citizens and fly to NYC to shop at their much larger NM. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, 206,000 square feet is quite large. I guess this goes to solidify Atlanta's voracious appetite for consumer goods.

Why on earth would anyone shop at Neiman Marcus in NYC when you have the whole 5th avenue and everything else.......Isnt Dallas' NM's the biggest ones since it is based there?

Technically, there are no Neiman Marcus stores in Manhattan; however, the company that owns Neiman's also owns Bergdorf Goodman. There is one in White Plains, not too far up the freeway for those loyal shoppers.

Wow, was I ever off on the size of Neimans at Millenia. I must have been thinking of Bloomingdale's. I know one of the dept. stores there is very small. :blush:

Shopping in NYC makes sense, especially if you can get a cheap ticket and do a day trip; the department stores (Saks, Bergdorf's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdale's and Macy's) are just huge and have so much more selection than a typical mall-size department store in suburbia- and the prices are sometimes a lot cheaper than in Charlotte, at least.