Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Orlando is now getting a Yves Saint Laurent boutique at the Mall at Millenia. If you paused Atlanta's growth in luxury shopping for just 2 or 3 years I swear Orlando would have caught up or even surpassed Atlanta. Now this is just the variety of boutiques, but certainly not the selection or size, particularly the department stores. Hopefully they could open a smaller 7 For All Mankind boutique at Perimeter. I think it might do better there.

Edited by ct36

Orlando is now getting a Yves Saint Laurent boutique at the Mall at Millenia. If you paused Atlanta's growth in luxury shopping for just 2 or 3 years I swear Orlando would have caught up or even surpassed Atlanta. Now this is just the variety of boutiques, but certainly not the selection or size, particularly the department stores. Hopefully they could open a smaller 7 For All Mankind boutique at Perimeter. I think it might do better there.

The boutique s in Orlando Are very small. YSL store is going to be a small.store also no where near the size of the Houston's store. ..The premium outlets are the biggest things Orlando has over Atlanta. But they don't have a free standingFendi,Herve Leger,Hermes,Global LV store, Valentino,Bottega Veneta,Prada,Bally,Elie Tahari, Versace, Nicole Miller Gregory shoes, Giorgio Armani and Ermenegildo Zegna.Our stores are a lot bigger and offer a better selection. YSL was looking to expand into Atlanta market . Our Emporio Armani will be located at the Airport for now

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA

The boutique s in Orlando Are very small. YSL store is going to be a small.store also no where near the size of the Houston's store. ..The premium outlets are the biggest things Orlando has over Atlanta.They dont have Fendi,Herve Leger,Hermes,Global LV store, Valentino,Bottega Veneta,Prada,Bally,Elie Tahari, Versace, Nicole Miller Gregory shoes, Giorgio Armani and Ermenegildo Zegna.Our stores are a lot bigger and offer a better selection. YSL was looking to expand into Atlanta market . Our Emporio Armani will be located at the Airport for now

Actually, there are going to be about the same. I remember you said that Chanel in Houston is around 8,000 square feet. YSL looks to be less than half the size of that, or maybe even a third. It's probably around 2500 to 3000 square feet. Orlando's store is around 2100 square feet. I'm failing to see how this is "no where near the size of the Houston store". Sure, Orlando may not have every single boutique like Atlanta does, but it still has a lot. The boutiques aren't small at all. The Atlanta ones are just big, so they seem small. Orlando's luxury boutiques aren't any smaller than average. You have to admit they must be doing something right to get a Chanel and YSL boutique before Atlanta. The perfect mall would be a mix of Lenox and Millenia. Take some of them from Lenox and some from Millenia. Abercrombie, Apple, YSL, Emporio, etc. from Millenia, and take Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Zegna, etc. from Lenox. That with Millenia's looks would be absolutely perfect.

The big problem with having Emporio at the airport is that it's only going to get the people who are at the airport. Besides, who in their right mind would drive from Buckhead or Dunwoody all the way down to College Park to go to Emporio Armani. It's more likely that Atlanta visitors will go to Lenox than the locals will go to the airport, anyway.

Edited by ct36

Orlando is a big tourist hub just like Vegas. Thats why they both have what they have. Do u really believe a metro area of 2 million could handle that much high end retail? Not even philadelphia has that much. Every time space has opened up in Lenox either a store has either expanded or a new tenant has moved in.. We have bottega and very large Gucci store do u not think Gucci group isn't interested in putting a Ysl store here? The right Space has to open up. I'm not expecting anyone to drive to airport to shop. I just said its unfortunate that it's at the airport. zegna opened at the airport before it opened at Lenox so maybe emporio will do the same. When streets of buck head was announced look at all the luxury stores that were coming.. We just need the space demand is there trust. I'm not trying to come down on Orlando but lets be real. When it comes to retail it's about the selections. Small stores equal small selections.

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA

Orlando doesn't really have that much. They don't have that much more than SouthPark. Just Gucci, Hugo Boss, YSL, Emporio Armani, Ferragamo, and that's really about it. Southpark has Ralph Lauren, St. John, and Hermes which Orlando don't have. Wait there is Chanel and David Yurman also, so I guess there is a pretty big difference. But considering the tourism and the slight larger size it makes sense. I think Orlando's retail is close to normal for a city it's size. Philadelphia is the one that is really lacking. Philadelphia is larger than Atlanta, and their retail options don't really compare at all. Maybe New York is too close for them to justify opening more boutiques there? I am wondering why Simon is letting the Artful Living or Pure or whatever is up there now stay there. I think they could easily get rid of them and open more boutiques up there. It's a rather large space and could easily fit around 4.

Orlando has everything that is nice and new. Atlanta, for the mostpart, everything is older and less nice, but certainly a lot larger. Which one is more important? Not sure. Probably size, though. Atlanta hasn't always had such big and great stores. Around 2007 Atlanta had as much as Orlando has now, or similar. Heck the Louis Vuitton store at Millenia was larger than Lenox for years. They had that tiny 1000 square foot store where David Yurman is now. The Millenia store opened in 2002 at 3500 square feet and expanded to 5500 in 2010. Lenox's current store is about 9,000 square feet. I hardly think Orlando's boutiques are small at all. Ferragamo, Cartier, and Tory Burh actually seem to be larger at Millenia than in Atlanta. I can guarantee that almost all of Orlando's boutiques are at least 75% the size of Atlanta's.

For example, Emporio Armani at Millenia is over 3500 square feet. The Gucci a few stores down looks a little larger, about 4500 square feet. Since Bottega Veneta is around 2500 square feet at Phipps, that means that Gucci really couldn't be any larger than 7000. That is just one of the many examples I can provide. Don't get me wrong-I love Buckhead and Atlanta, but I love Orlando too, possibly a little more. I want to politely ask if you have ever looked at the mall map of the Mall at Millenia. The reason is because none of the boutiques at Millenia are small, unless all of them are such as David Yurman, etc. They are normal sized. Atlanta, being how it is (all big and everything) gets the large boutiques.

So

Atlanta=Normal to large boutiques

Orlando=Normal boutiques

Okay? Haha.

:)

But like I said, the perfect mall would be Millenia's looks and newness and their stores that are larger than Lenox's (Abercrombie & Fitch, Apple, Victoria's Secret, Gap, Ferragamo, etc.) and Lenox's stores that are larger than Millenia's (LV, Burberry, etc.) and the stores each doesn't have. Now that would be certainly a mall that I would love!

Orlando doesn't really have that much. They don't have that much more than SouthPark. Just Gucci, Hugo Boss, YSL, Emporio Armani, Ferragamo, and that's really about it. Southpark has Ralph Lauren, St. John, and Hermes which Orlando don't have. Wait there is Chanel and David Yurman also, so I guess there is a pretty big difference. But considering the tourism and the slight larger size it makes sense. I think Orlando's retail is close to normal for a city it's size. Philadelphia is the one that is really lacking. Philadelphia is larger than Atlanta, and their retail options don't really compare at all. Maybe New York is too close for them to justify opening more boutiques there? I am wondering why Simon is letting the Artful Living or Pure or whatever is up there now stay there. I think they could easily get rid of them and open more boutiques up there. It's a rather large space and could easily fit around 4.

Orlando has everything that is nice and new. Atlanta, for the mostpart, everything is older and less nice, but certainly a lot larger. Which one is more important? Not sure. Probably size, though. Atlanta hasn't always had such big and great stores. Around 2007 Atlanta had as much as Orlando has now, or similar. Heck the Louis Vuitton store at Millenia was larger than Lenox for years. They had that tiny 1000 square foot store where David Yurman is now. The Millenia store opened in 2002 at 3500 square feet and expanded to 5500 in 2010. Lenox's current store is about 9,000 square feet. I hardly think Orlando's boutiques are small at all. Ferragamo, Cartier, and Tory Burh actually seem to be larger at Millenia than in Atlanta. I can guarantee that almost all of Orlando's boutiques are at least 75% the size of Atlanta's.

For example, Emporio Armani at Millenia is over 3500 square feet. The Gucci a few stores down looks a little larger, about 4500 square feet. Since Bottega Veneta is around 2500 square feet at Phipps, that means that Gucci really couldn't be any larger than 7000. That is just one of the many examples I can provide. Don't get me wrong-I love Buckhead and Atlanta, but I love Orlando too, possibly a little more. I want to politely ask if you have ever looked at the mall map of the Mall at Millenia. The reason is because none of the boutiques at Millenia are small, unless all of them are such as David Yurman, etc. They are normal sized. Atlanta, being how it is (all big and everything) gets the large boutiques.

So

Atlanta=Normal to large boutiques

Orlando=Normal boutiques

Okay? Haha.

:)

But like I said, the perfect mall would be Millenia's looks and newness and their stores that are larger than Lenox's (Abercrombie & Fitch, Apple, Victoria's Secret, Gap, Ferragamo, etc.) and Lenox's stores that are larger than Millenia's (LV, Burberry, etc.) and the stores each doesn't have. Now that would be certainly a mall that I would love!

Orlando retail offerings is not normal for a city that size.. I been here since 2003 and that LV store was not where David Yurman is now I transferred here when bloomies first opened in 2003.. Orlando also has Betsy Johnson, cartier, Jimmy Choo, Henri Bendel which southpark doesnt have. So yes Orlando has a lot more because it's a tourist city.

Well, it looks like Barney's is closing at Phipps. Tory Burch is taking over part of the space. I'm really worried about Phipps because they could be in major trouble. I sometimes wonder why they just don't move the Saks and Nordstrom over to Lenox (there is room for both, but they must be 3 or 4 stories). They could replace Saks and Nordstrom and the Court of The South with two large office buildings and connect them to the Monarch court. Then they can move all the stores to Lenox that are in the luxury wing (or Buckhead Atlanta, obviously).

Edited by ct36

Belk is definitely not hurting the mall at all. It's the Legoland that will hurt it. It's not that bad. I do admit that it is extremely underwhelming for a flagship, however, It did seem to have a pretty good amount of people shopping there. I think Phipps is getting to be a fairly weak mall, which the exclusions of the department stores. Hopefully Saks & Co. is not going anywhere, but if it does, the Atlanta store will definitely be one of the last few to go. I highly doubt they would go that way, however. They do seem to be getting more contemporary and younger feeling, especially with the addition of Fashion Star. It already has gotten more younger customers shopping there.

The Belk-at-Phipps argument has been going on ever since they opened there, and I still believe it's perfectly appropriate for Belk to be at Phipps. Neither of us is going to be convinced to change his mind just by continuing the same old argument, though, so let's just agree to disagree.

The problem is that Phipps is not so "ultra-exclusive anymore". Nordstrom and Saks (and Belk) look to be doing great. The mall as a whole, not so much, however. The major problem is that stores are closing and what is being put there to replace the former is not the same quality. I don't really know what will happen to it. Besides, there is a Sears at South Coast Plaza, which is much, much more upscale than Phipps. So don't even get me started about how Belk is "so out of place".

The problem is that Phipps is not so "ultra-exclusive anymore". Nordstrom and Saks (and Belk) look to be doing great. The mall as a whole, not so much, however. The major problem is that stores are closing and what is being put there to replace the former is not the same quality. I don't really know what will happen to it. Besides, there is a Sears at South Coast Plaza, which is much, much more upscale than Phipps. So don't even get me started about how Belk is "so out of place".

There's (or was) a Sears at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu- home of Neiman Marcus, Prada, etc. In both of those centers, Sears was there first and the mall grew and became more upscale, while keeping the Sears.

The South (my home) is just a sea of mid-tier/downscale shopping- it's so nice to have islands of exclusivity in it. Parisian, L&T and Saks were the perfect anchors at Phipps.

Well, it looks like Barney's is closing at Phipps. Tory Burch is taking over part of the space. I'm really worried about Phipps because they could be in major trouble. I sometimes wonder why they just don't move the Saks and Nordstrom over to Lenox (there is room for both, but they must be 3 or 4 stories). They could replace Saks and Nordstrom and the Court of The South with two large office buildings and connect them to the Monarch court. Then they can move all the stores to Lenox that are in the luxury wing (or Buckhead Atlanta, obviously).

Phipps is fine. Barneys closed alot of there co op stores across the US. The one in Houston has been closed almost a year To say phipps isnt exclusive because they dont have stores some of the major stores is false . LK bennett Vince Rebecca Taylor Roberto Coin and the new Michael Kors is not going to be your average Michael kors Its going to be his runway collection are all respectable high end stores.The 2 new Jewelry stores Hublot and Omega.Are high end Jewlery stores..The mall has some great high end stores Versace Valentino etc So phipps is fine maybe they can add soe stores now that Barneys is closing.

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA

I never have said that Phipps wasn't exclusive. I simply said that Phipps wasn't so "Ultra Exclusive" anymore, and I also never said that they don't have some of the "major stores" either. I am just worried that many stores have closed and many that have opened aren't as nice. Sure, Omega opened, but MaxMara, Theory, etc. have closed. Since I can only name 2, then I suppose that they aren't doing quite as bad as it seems. I really hope that you are right about Phipps, however. It's a really nice mall and I hope that it can make a comeback even with Lenox opening tons of boutiques as well as Buckhead Atlanta opening within a few years or so. I can see Phipps still gaining a few boutiques, Streets of Buckhead opening, and Lenox filling the former Calvin Klein with boutiques as well as getting rid of some of the less upscale stores and adding some boutiques there. The luxury market in Atlanta is fairly strong and they can probably support all of that retail.

I never have said that Phipps wasn't exclusive. I simply said that Phipps wasn't so "Ultra Exclusive" anymore, and I also never said that they don't have some of the "major stores" either. I am just worried that many stores have closed and many that have opened aren't as nice. Sure, Omega opened, but MaxMara, Theory, etc. have closed. Since I can only name 2, then I suppose that they aren't doing quite as bad as it seems. I really hope that you are right about Phipps, however. It's a really nice mall and I hope that it can make a comeback even with Lenox opening tons of boutiques as well as Buckhead Atlanta opening within a few years or so. I can see Phipps still gaining a few boutiques, Streets of Buckhead opening, and Lenox filling the former Calvin Klein with boutiques as well as getting rid of some of the less upscale stores and adding some boutiques there. The luxury market in Atlanta is fairly strong and they can probably support all of that retail.

MaxMara closed a lot of there stores too the one in Dallas closed before phipps did besides bottega. Was a good replacement Yes Theory closed but Michael Kors flagship store is a good replacement too.

I hope that you are right. I love Phipps. I love Lenox even more.

As for the Sony space, it looks like Johnson & Murphy will be going there instead of Foot Locker. I hope that Apple will move to the Crate & Barrel (maybe something can share the upper level as well) and something unique like Topshop, etc. would open where bebe is now, especially since they are expanding the mall some (it was definitely in the plan).

If Lenox Square Grill closes, then I hope Grand Lux Cafe opens there.

I think that Saks, Nordstrom, and Parisian worked better than Lord & Taylor because each one is like then next level up rather than 2 about the same and a luxury one, you know?

The former Sony Style space will be taken by a new C Wonder Boutique, a concept started by Chris Burch and ex-husband of Tory Burch. The New York stores have done well, so this will be the first boutique to open outside of New York. Other boutiques are planned for Columbus Circle, Tysons Galleria, and Newport Beach in Orange County, California and not too far from South Coast Plaza.

Rockport has also closed their Lenox Square location, although the Perimeter Mall location will remain open. The former space at Lenox Square will be taken by a new concept LOFT store.

Oh well so much for getting something on my wishlist like Emporio Armani, Custo Barcelona, D&G or even Miu Miu, the bridge line from Miuccia Prada to complement her beautiful Global Prada Boutique next to the now Global Salvatore Ferragamo Boutique that was an accessoires only boutique before their remodel. They, now like Louis Vuitton carry men's and women's ready-to-wear (net-a-porter) and even some haute couture runway pieces. Cheer up!!, shopping in the ATL is just going to get better and better guys. :)

• 1 month later...

Steve Madden is moving from the upper level luxury wing to the former Body Shop space and the spaces behind it. Considering that the location they have now is fine, and the new one looks smaller, I definitely think that Simon has something planned for that area, especially since the second level of the luxury wing really needs extra things. Right now it's basically Zara and Ralph Lauren. I would hope Burberry would want a larger store and would move upstairs, and something nice like Chanel or Dolce & Gabbana would move into their space. I think Atlanta will probably be getting Emporio Armani, Dior, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Just Cavalli, CH Carolina Herrera, Oscar de la Renta, YSL, etc. before too long, probably within 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

All this is a front. All CT 36 does is jump on the band wagon when someone. Is bashing Lenox. He goes from blog to blog bashing the malls in Atlanta.. but yet propping up here all the time. Kenneth the same argument you had with him about bashing Lenox a couple of threads back . I just had the same argument on another blog .. I had respect for him but now, not so much. And no the Steve Madden store will be larger than its current space. You see that CT36 global boutiques can Southpark claim anything of that nature no ma'am.

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA