Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

• 1 year later...

Has anyone posted that Scotch&Soda, and Psycho Bunny have opened new Outpost in Lenox Square?
As well Dolce& Gabbana and Tom Ford have opened stores in Phipps Plaza.

Thought this place was no longer a thing! Does anyone know what’s going next to Agency Socialtheque at Phipps!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Kenneth Disraili-Jean said:

Has anyone posted that Scotch&Soda, and Psycho Bunny have opened new Outpost in Lenox Square?

As well Dolce& Gabbana and Tom Ford have opened stores in Phipps Plaza.

Yes, was there about a month ago.  Zara has expanded and is now 3x bigger.  Top Shop has closed.  

• 6 months later...

I'm curious as to why Belk closed at Phipps Plaza and Simon replaced it with non-retail uses.

Was the Belk underperforming, or did Simon just figure it could make more money by buying out Belk and building something else in its space?

And why did Simon pick non-retail uses instead of replacing Belk with new upscale retail stores?

I'd usually see a department store anchor transformed into non-retail uses because the mall failed.  But that's clearly not the case with Phipps Plaza, unless I'm totally missing something.

I'm curious as to why Belk closed at Phipps Plaza and Simon replaced it with non-retail uses.
Was the Belk underperforming, or did Simon just figure it could make more money by buying out Belk and building something else in its space?
And why did Simon pick non-retail uses instead of replacing Belk with new upscale retail stores?
I'd usually see a department store anchor transformed into non-retail uses because the mall failed.  But that's clearly not the case with Phipps Plaza, unless I'm totally missing something.

Thanks for waking up this thread! Simon owns the parcel in which the Belk (old Parisian) store sat. They realize that by subdividing the parcel into smaller segments that could generate more money (Nobu hotel, Lifetime Fitness, and other smaller stores/concepts), there wasn’t much of a reason to renew Belk’s lease once it expired. Department stores aren’t the cash cows they once used to be.

18 hours ago, heyitsme said:

Thanks for waking up this thread! Simon owns the parcel in which the Belk (old Parisian) store sat. They realize that by subdividing the parcel into smaller segments that could generate more money (Nobu hotel, Lifetime Fitness, and other smaller stores/concepts), there wasn’t much of a reason to renew Belk’s lease once it expired. Department stores aren’t the cash cows they once used to be.

Thanks- good to know that more retail is coming.

I wonder if Belk at Phipps was ever a cash cow.  People from other states would drive to Phipps to go to stores that don't exist in their hometowns.  There's no reason to drive all the way to Atlanta to go to Belk.  (Or Lifetime Fitness, for that matter.)

I also wonder why Neiman Marcus didn't originally locate at Phipps.  An anchor lineup of Saks, Neiman Marcus and at the time Lord & Taylor would have been exceptional.

• Like 1

Thanks- good to know that more retail is coming.
I wonder if Belk at Phipps was ever a cash cow.  People from other states would drive to Phipps to go to stores that don't exist in their hometowns.  There's no reason to drive all the way to Atlanta to go to Belk.  (Or Lifetime Fitness, for that matter.)
I also wonder why Neiman Marcus didn't originally locate at Phipps.  An anchor lineup of Saks, Neiman Marcus and at the time Lord & Taylor would have been exceptional.

Agreed! From what I could remember, Parisian opened up in ‘93 and was the answer to Lenox Square’s Rich’s (now Macy’s) since the mall was ultra exclusive and had a task to tone down the tonier image of Phipps with other stores like Niketown and AMC theaters.

Lord and Taylor’s store at Phipps was the answer to what Saks Fifth Avenue couldn’t provide—affordable luxury. The mistake that L&T made with many of its stores is that it expanded into suburban malls that couldn’t support luxury retail. The North Point and Mall of Georgia L&Ts should have never existed IMO.

However, when Parisian was sold to Belk, the company let the store play out because they knew the 25 year old lease at a premier retail center was quite high to break at the time. Belk resonates more with customers in the Carolinas, as Macy’s and other brands weren’t there around the late 90s and earlier. So yeah, they knew the store wouldn’t be comparable to its Charlotte flagship, but they tried their best to fool the public with the title “flagship,” although the store and its merchandise suffered greatly after it changed from Parisian to Belk.

Sorry for being so long winded! I have so much retail/corporate real estate interests.

• Like 1

Thanks, heyitsme- I didn't realize that Belk had a 25 year lease and they just let it go to the end. That makes sense.

Funny to think of Parisian as being relatively downscale, but I guess that's Phipps Plaza.  I loved it (there was one in Greenville, SC for a few years) and Lord & Taylor and both were nice stores, and certainly nicer than Belk, but certainly affordable, at least for me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was in Atlanta this past weekend and  the Starbucks in Lenox Square that was smack dab in the middle of the hallway—which was always super busy has closed.  When I asked the mall service people where there is another one, they said only other one was in Macy’s.  Seems strange to me that they would close it.  Meanwhile I noticed that the Apple store relocated near the front entrance across from Nike and it is humongous.  I hope it stays there as I’ve heard rumors Apple is considering not reopening a lot of their stores permanently due to the fact that most people never buy anything when they come in anyway.  Also,  they added a metal detector in the front entrance. The first mall I’ve ever seen with one.  Must be due to the crime there that’s been happening lately.  Also, the smell of weed is a really big problem here.  Every 5 min you could smell it. 

Meanwhile at Phipps Plaza,

There have been a lot of closings.  They rearranged Saks, the men’s department is now downstairs.  Not many new openings here. 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well looks like Balenciaga is opening a boutique in Phipps Plaza. Atlanta continues to expand its luxury retail offerings.  Also Tag Heuer is coming soon https://whatnowatlanta.com/balenciaga-is-coming-to-phipps-plaza/

So far you have 

Saint Laurent 

Dior

Hermes 

Tom Ford 

Prada 

Burberry 

Fendi 

Cartier 

Rolex 

Louis Vuttion 

CH Carolina Herrera 

Ermenegildo Zegna 

Ferragamo 

Bally 

Bottega Veneta 

Dolce & Gabbana 

Valentino 

Giuseppe Zanotti 

Gucci 

Versace 

Akris 

Christian Louboutin 

Canali 

Etro 

Jimmy Choo 

Moncler 

Brunello Cucinelli 

Neimans 

Saks 

I would love to see Chanel, Celine , And Alexander Mcqueen in this market 

Edited by Kofi82
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, heyitsme said:

Celine and Chanel are long overdue for the Atlanta market.

My wish for Buckhead Village:
Loewe
Helmut Lang (again)

Chanel has a cosmetics boutique in Avalon in Alpharetta, so they’re long overdue as well

I love that Spanish Brand. Atlanta is definitely overdue for a chanel boutique. I guess time will tell.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, BigDave7772 said:

Phipps Plaza and Lenox are really expanding with new luxury retailers coming to the expanded luxury wing with Brunello Cucinelli, Alexander McQueen, Amiri, Givenchy, an expanded YSL, Ferrari Store, Hermes and more to come. These luxury retailers believe in Buckhead.

Did any of these relocate from the shops at Buckhead?  I just find it interesting how close Lenox, Phipps and Shops at Buckhead are to each other

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...