Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Well...I understand the dislike of malls, but past that all I can say is: "What a whiner!"

Consumption is part of life. Come on...find a society that isn't into consumption. The ones that aren't are failures. Go live in North Korea or their few and far ilk if you don't like consumption. Yes, malls are not an ideal environment. But save your Communist crap for the pinko blogs where people lack realism and an understanding of human beings.

I agree...I've traveled around and malls tend to make places way too similar. Every city has the same stores - quite boring. But I will never stray from a consumption society. This is reality - deal with the good and bad. It is what it is

If you don't agree with someone else's POV, you at least need to respect it. Consider yourself warned.

Boy is this topic off-topic.

On my trip a month ago down there I was able to swing through Phipps but not Lenox. Was not impressed by Barneys, but the Frontgate store was fantastic. I had to hold on to my wallet for dear life. Went in Nordstrom to compare that store to ours here in RTP and they were almost identical...save for the entire shoe dept staff being glued to basketball game on the TV.

Funny how old memories come back when you're in the context. When going up that odd ramp on the second floor of the mall into Nordstrom, I immediately remembered that there was a needlepoint store on the left 30 years ago. (My mother dragged me around the finest malls in America).

Is it me or is the old mall axis' ceiling lower than it was before the expansion. I thought I remembered several skylights in the old escalator court. In the old mall center there was an electronics store that is now where the mall extension space is. That store was fantastic, but expensive. Not only did they have TI's new "Speak & Spell", but they had the new TI-30 LED calculator! Wow. I decided then that I wanted to own an electronics store :thumbsup: Well. That didn't work out. I'm a dentist instead. :tough:

Buckhead: Rebuilding The Village - Atlanta Intown

Demolition of many of the former bars and buildings along Peachtree Road in Buckhead Village will begin in July to make way for an $800 million development of 500,00 square feet of retail space, boutique hotels and loft/condo residences.

"We plan to begin construction in October and have it finished by November 2009." Prospective tenants are rumored to be on the scale of Prada and Barney

Buckhead: Rebuilding The Village - Atlanta Intown

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one had, it's great that Buckhead Village will have life again. On the other hand, I can't shake the sense that we will be losing buildings that have a lot of character in favor of a master planned development that will TRY to be authentic but end up looking cheesy and Disneyfied (in the same way Atlantic Station does).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one had, it's great that Buckhead Village will have life again. On the other hand, I can't shake the sense that we will be losing buildings that have a lot of character in favor of a master planned development that will TRY to be authentic but end up looking cheesy and Disneyfied (in the same way Atlantic Station does).

I know what you mean. This should be different, however, in that the vast majority of the Village will remain intact. As big as Carter's project is, it's still only about 8 blocks or so. The East Village is much larger than that and of course the West Village won't be changed at all.

So it's not like they're starting with nothing or taking everything down to ground zero as was the case with Atlantic Station. Most of the Village will continue to exist and to develop organically as it has over the last century. I think of the Carter project as just another element in that process.

I think its entirely possible to build new construction with loads of character its just a matter of developers/architects doing it right. Since this is planned as a high-end district one would think the architecture would also be high quality.

The problem with Atlantic Station is that they used is about the lowest quality of materials possible. Its ironic that noone ever makes those kind of statements about the Edgewood retail (or any other strip center) which is lot less urban in design. If AS had used the same type of materials and architecture as Eddgewood I think it would be a lot better.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

Galleria is an amazing mall. Houston is the 4th Biggest city in America. They should have everything..

The 5th biggest. Philadelphia has the King of Prussia Mall. Another Elite mall.

We have two large malls, they are just across the street from each other. Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza, both owned by Simon. Go to simon.com and you will see we have plenty of upscale boutiques with plenty more to go around. Giorgio Armani, Versace, Tiffany's, Cartier, Judith Leiber, Farragamo, Stuart Weiztman, Jimmy Choo, Anne Fontaine, Gucci, Theory, Intermix, Tory Burch, Barney's New York CO-OP, David Yurman, French Connection, Ralph Lauren, St. John, Boss Hugo Boss, Juicy Couture, Louis Vuitton, and so on. Comfirmed tenants for Lenox are PUMA, True Religion, Miss Sixty/Energy, Sony Style, Chanel and Yves Saint Laurant. More are to follow. So look for more high tier luxury retailers that have in the past skipped over Atlanta. Yes, Altanta is evolving into a major U.S. fashion center.

Edited by kennethdisraili

I wouldn't say major US fashion center....one of the top mid-markets, yes.

Well, what is your definition of a major U.S. fashion center, since we have many up and coming fashion designers that are home grown and Giorgio Armani himself said " Atlanta is evolving into a major U.S. fashion center." Who would know better than one of the most famous fashion designers in the world. That is one reason he said he decided to locate his signature black label haute couture boutique in Atlanta.

Theres a difference between fashion center and shopping center. Fashion would entail fashion houses, designer studios, runway shows, etc. Major shopping destination would be what you are referring to, yet considering that Atlanta has yet to be really in the top 10 markets in the US alone. Im not refuting that it is evolving. But I would guess to be a major market in the US alone, you would break top 10. It will be awhile before Atlanta does even that.

Edited by Manolos

Theres a difference between fashion center and shopping center. Fashion would entail fashion houses, designer studios, runway shows, etc. Major shopping destination would be what you are referring to, yet considering that Atlanta has yet to be really in the top 10 markets in the US alone. Im not refuting that it is evolving. But I would guess to be a major market in the US alone, you would break top 10. It will be awhile before Atlanta does even that.

That's ok, because Atlanta is a young a vibriant city, time is on our side.

Alright, guys, let's get back on topic here, and I'm not just talking about the fashion stuff that's occupied the last few posts.

But, on that subject...

Top 10 lists like "top 10 fashion markets in the USA" are almost always subjective. We could argue for quite a while if Atlanta deserves a place in that list or not. Furthermore, we could also argue as to whether or not Atlanta is or isn't one of the major fashion markets in the US regardless of what a list might say.

...But, let's try to avoid that, shall we? This is not a thread for that sort of discussion.

Alright, guys, let's get back on topic here, and I'm not just talking about the fashion stuff that's occupied the last few posts.

But, on that subject...

Top 10 lists like "top 10 fashion markets in the USA" are almost always subjective. We could argue for quite a while if Atlanta deserves a place in that list or not. Furthermore, we could also argue as to whether or not Atlanta is or isn't one of the major fashion markets in the US regardless of what a list might say.

...But, let's try to avoid that, shall we? This is not a thread for that sort of discussion.

Just to say that Atlanta being a major urban center in the United States offers plenty of shopping, dining, sports, arts, and enertainment options. A good thing for a healthy growing urban enviroment.

So is the Midtown Mile project going to be an outdoor version of Lenox Mall and is the Buckhead Village going to be an outdoor version of Phipps Plaza, because if they are I think is going to be hard to be successful.

The Midtown Mile and the Buckhead Village should get fashion labels or fashion houses(whatever you want to call them)that don't have a presence in Atl like; Balenciaga,Marni,Lanvin, Givenchy, Dolce&Gabanna or their less expensive label D&G, Roberto Cavalli,Emanuel Ungaro, Christian Lacroix, Marc Jacobs, Carolina Herrera, Oscar de la Renta, and I could go on and on, but you get my idea.

So is the Midtown Mile project going to be an outdoor version of Lenox Mall and is the Buckhead Village going to be an outdoor version of Phipps Plaza, because if they are I think is going to be hard to be successful.

The Midtown Mile and the Buckhead Village should get fashion labels or fashion houses(whatever you want to call them)that don't have a presence in Atl like; Balenciaga,Marni,Lanvin, Givenchy, Dolce&Gabanna or their less expensive label D&G, Roberto Cavalli,Emanuel Ungaro, Christian Lacroix, Marc Jacobs, Carolina Herrera, Oscar de la Renta, and I could go on and on, but you get my idea.

The way I see it, Lenox and Phipps are indoor versions of street-level shopping districts. In fact Ive heard that when Lenox was developed, they were very meticulous in recreating the shopping district that existed downtown at the time. Lenox was open air then and was later remodeled to be an indoor mall.

So now we've come full circle..... back to the streets of the city.

(Andrea or someone else who knows can correct if I'm wrong on any of the Lenox history.)

Edited by Martinman

I love the idea, we would have a outdoor shopping mecca, like Beverly Hills.

The Midtown Mile and the Buckhead Village should get fashion labels or fashion houses(whatever you want to call them)that don't have a presence in Atl like; Balenciaga,Marni,Lanvin, Givenchy, Dolce&Gabanna or their less expensive label D&G, Roberto Cavalli,Emanuel Ungaro, Christian Lacroix, Marc Jacobs, Carolina Herrera, Oscar de la Renta, and I could go on and on, but you get my idea.[/quote

Maybe some day Buckhead will be on par with Beverly Hills

sorry to burst all your bubbles, but its one thing to be optimistic and realistic, and then another to be wildly throwing out dreams. considering its an urban planning forum, we tend to go for the optimistic within the realm of realism. As much as every city would love to have its own Rodeo Drive, Michigan Avenue, Newbury Street, Worth Avenue, etc. in many places its just not likely. Even with Midtown Mile, there are talks of can Atlanta really support this much upscale retail? I'm not sure. Phipps and Lenox currently have all the luxury retail in Atlanta, and Atlanta really isnt a market where it can support multiple LVs or Guccis.

I do think Midtown Mile will get a headstart in the right direction, but without some of these staple luxury stores to thrust it forward, I doubt it will really turn out to be the Rodeo/Wilshire/Robertson dream. But to go from having no haute couture houses to Christian Lacroix, Emanual Ungaro, Givenchy, Lanvin....is pushing it. We might as well dream that Zac Posen, Nanette Lepore, Christian Louboutin all open in Atlanta.

Of those listed, I can see D&G, Just Cavalli, not Carolina but CH Carolina open up in Lenox/Phipps.

There is one Louis Vuitton Boutique at Lenox, and the other is in Saks. The first LV was only 2,000 sq ft, smaller than the Saks LV store. The new one is 8,000 sq ft. , quite an improvement. But they do need ready-to-wear. The second boutique will open in 2008 at either Perimeter or Northpoint.

A walled off section within a department store is hardly comparable to a freestanding boutique. They carry a slightly greater selection than the department store would have otherwise.

Personally, I would rather see the LV at Lenox expand to a ready-to-wear section. That would be better than a second LV that only carries leather goods, all of which could be found at the Lenox LV.

They should put a ready to wear in phipps.

Wouldn't it be cool if they renovated the plaza area where the resturaunts use to be and made it one big store. Like a big Apple or Ralph Lauren or something like that. What are they doing to that area anyway

They should put a ready to wear in phipps.

Wouldn't it be cool if they renovated the plaza area where the resturaunts use to be and made it one big store. Like a big Apple or Ralph Lauren or something like that. What are they doing to that area anyway

Renovating it with new skylights, sheetrock, paint, lighting, floors, and handrails to match the origional 2 level main mall. Other than that it remains the same with stores, and a few restaurants.