Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

^Crate & Barrel is also 2-story in the mall.

I believe the DASS Salon and Spa is also two levels.

When I went to Lenox Square back in 1994 before the addition the of uppermost level, Express had a store that was two stories in the atrium. That store later relocated to the new level that was added.

Do you remember when Houlihan's operated a restaurant where you ate upstairs and looked into the mall via a window from the restaurant?

Yeah I believe Bloomingdales is 4 floors too.

The Bloomies and Macy's in Lenox are HUGE. I've always been amazed by the size of those department stores. The Macy's mens section alone is spreaded throughout 3 floors and their handbag section is just rediculous

There is a second floor below the ladies section in bannana republic.

Edited by SAV

This weeks Business Chronicle has an article that reads like mostly hearsay, concerning a possible expansion of Phipps. The rumour is that Barney's interest in an anchor slot at the mall is the reason for the expansion.

This would be great if it was true. Something to dilute the inclusion of Belk at Phipps Plaza. <_< Anyway, since I'm very particular in who I like and what I purchase, I don't get into every store that is added to the Atlanta market. I am however happy to see that the selection of choices are increasing. Perhaps with all the new European stores coming on board, I will be able to step outside of my St John box.

This would be great if it was true. Something to dilute the inclusion of Belk at Phipps Plaza. <_< Anyway, since I'm very particular in who I like and what I purchase, I don't get into every store that is added to the Atlanta market. I am however happy to see that the selection of choices are increasing. Perhaps with all the new European stores coming on board, I will be able to step outside of my St John box.

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but there are many of us in Buckhead that are upper middle class and we are happy to see this flagship Belk come to Phipps Plaza, because not everyone can be a "well heeled shopper" and Parisian had to have made plenty of money in thier Phipps location or they wouldn't have stayed there for 15 years. :P

And this Belk is different from your typical mall Belk. It was modeled after the flagship Belk at Southpark Mall in Charlotte, and works as a specialty retailer, rather than just a typical department store, and it doesn't seem with you being a ST. JOHN buyer that you would be into the new stores such as Miss Sixty, True Religion, or Diesel, they might be somewhat too hip for your discriminating taste.

Edited by kennethdisraili

This would be great if it was true. Something to dilute the inclusion of Belk at Phipps Plaza. <_<

I am such a hopeless member of the Order of the Scarlet Nape. I always liked Belk and was pleased to hear they were coming to the neighborhood.

:{sodEmoji.|}

Well, guess I'd better go catch up on my Dukes of Hazzard and Designing Women reruns.

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but there are many of us in Buckhead that are upper middle class and we are happy to see this flagship Belk come to Phipps Plaza, because not everyone can be a "well heeled shopper" and Parisian had to have made plenty of money in thier Phipps location or they wouldn't have stayed there for 15 years. :P

And this Belk is different from your typical mall Belk. It was modeled after the flagship Belk at Southpark Mall in Charlotte, and works as a specialty retailer, rather than just a typical department store, and it doesn't seem with you being a ST. JOHN buyer that you would be into the new stores such as Miss Sixty, True Religion, or Diesel, they might be somewhat too hip for your discriminating taste.

Not that there is anything wrong with discriminating taste.

I'm glad that the Belk is nice, and it's certainly better than an empty department store, but I think we'd all agree that we would have liked to have seen something with a little more international caliber come to Phipps.

Not that there is anything wrong with discriminating taste.

I'm glad that the Belk is nice, and it's certainly better than an empty department store, but I think we'd all agree that we would have liked to have seen something with a little more international caliber come to Phipps.

No there is nothing wrong with discriminating taste, but somethings might not please the discriminate shopper.

As far as Belk, there is this stereotype image that ALL of Buckhead in on millionare's row, and that is simply not true. There are many upper middle class people and homes in Buckhead and we are certainly glad to see this nice Flagship Belk come to our neighborhood. I live just 6/10's of a mile behind Phipps Plaza. There is still plenty for the "well heeled" shoppers, such as Saks, Neiman Marcus, and a long list of luxury boutiques, so in closing I must stress that Parisain would not have stayed at Phipps for 15 years had the store not made plenty of money, and I anticipate Belk will too.

Belk really only has this "low-rent" reputation in Georgia, and maybe only in the Atlanta part of Georgia. I grew up with Belk as a nice department store much like Macy's or Rich's. The Belk stores were always among the best large department stores in the malls of the major cities in N.C.
I agree. I grew up with Belk, and the stores near me have always been very nice. Check out the SouthPark and Crabtree Valley stores in North Carolina if you don't believe me.

Belk really only has this "low-rent" reputation in Georgia, and maybe only in the Atlanta part of Georgia. I grew up with Belk as a nice department store much like Macy's or Rich's. The Belk stores were always among the best large department stores in the malls of the major cities in N.C.

Bingo! Its not that Belk stores are any different than Parisan. Its just that they have a very low brand image here because until recently, all of their stores were located in strip centers next to Krogers etc.

I know a girl that had a coupon from Parisan that she used, but didn't want to be seen with Belks bags. That's what they have to overcome.

You are correct, I am sure that there are many who are happy to see Belk at Phipps. I voiced my opinion but others can by all means shop where their hearts....or their purses....lead them. Parisians lasted 15 years at Phipps but it was not initially well recieved. A department store staying for 15 years is in no way indicative that it was a lucrative spot per se. It could have been that the Phipps location afforded the Parisian brand much needed glamour and stature in the Atlanta market. Perhaps this is why they stayed at Phipps. Since neither of us worked in Parisian's corporate office, we may never know. Everything will be purely speculative. I speculate that this will also be the case for Belk at Phipps as well.

As far as the stores you listed in your second paragraph, they may in fact be a bit too hip for my taste. Maybe I should have been more specific, but I was actually referencing those that are coming to the SOB...not the new hipster stores that have or are opening in Lenox or Phipps.

I do have an update. I stepped foot in a Belk for the first time in my 30 something years of existence last week. I had the opportunity to visit the Belk at NorthPoint Mall. From my observation, the selection of clothing was in line with the Macy's at NorthPoint. It was not the flee market/swap meet I was expecting but nothing really more than I expected from Parisian. Some are saying to visit the Phipps location...honestly I probably will not. It's not because I think it's a bad store but rather because Atlanta has such a large selection of department stores...as well as boutiques...that it's not worth the extra few feet of walking. I will say however that it did exceed my expectations. For that I am happy....something extra for the plebes.

Just kidding people.

I know that stereotypically, as a woman, I am supposed to get all rah rah over all the new stores opening in the malls around Buckhead/Midtown. Unfortunately I have never been one to be induced into a frenzy over mere stores. Perhaps I'm too phlegmatic for my own good. I know exactly what I want and usually my main stores will have it. I am a car salesman's worst nightmare. :P Miss Sixty...no....Diesel...although Italian, no....True Religion...no. All those stores are more suitable for my 15 year old daughter. You will very rarely see me in jeans....in public anyway. Not that there is anything wrong with them...for a mom with 5 children I do still have a very nice shape... :lol:

Celeste,

Looks like if you want to make a trek up to Forsyth County, you might have some luxury shopping options. The AJC is reporting that Taubman Company, developers of Orlando's Mall at Milenia and Tampa's International Plaza, are planning to build a luxury shopping mall at McFarland Pkwy (exit 12) and Georgia 400.

Very interesting considering that Cousin's is developing another Avenue lifestyle center at GA 141 (Exit 13) and Thomas Enterprises is developing a luxury lifestyle center at Old Milton Parkway (Exit 10).

This is all in addition to the already existing North Point mall. How much retail do we need in North Fulton/Forsyth??

You are correct, I am sure that there are many who are happy to see Belk at Phipps. I voiced my opinion but others can by all means shop where their hearts....or their purses....lead them.

Yes. I think part of the reason I'm pleased to see Belk's is that when I was a child that was where we got our school clothes. And that was very exciting for us, as we usually didn't get other clothes during the course of the year. I can still remember getting some great outfits there and coming home as pleased as punch, thinking about how snazzy I'd look when I showed up at school. When I grew up I often took my own kids there because I knew you'd get good value and service. To be honest I really thought of Belk as a very nice store and it did not occur to me that it was regarded as a flea market/swap meet kind of place. I always thought I had pretty good clothes growing up, and that my kids looked pretty sharp in their school days, too.

So I guess a lot of it is just personal perspective.

Yes. I think part of the reason I'm pleased to see Belk's is that when I was a child that was where we got our school clothes. And that was very exciting for us, as we usually didn't get other clothes during the course of the year. I can still remember getting some great outfits there and coming home as pleased as punch, thinking about how snazzy I'd look when I showed up at school. When I grew up I often took my own kids there because I knew you'd get good value and service. To be honest I really thought of Belk as a very nice store and it did not occur to me that it was regarded as a flea market/swap meet kind of place. I always thought I had pretty good clothes growing up, and that my kids looked pretty sharp in their school days, too.

So I guess a lot of it is just personal perspective.

Yes, I guess it probably is personal perspective. I was school aged during the late 70' through the 80's. By that time, there were no Belks that I could remember. I have lived almost entirely in northern Fulton county since birth. The only Belks that I came to know as a young mother...in the 90's...was this rinky dink store up in Forsyth. Back then Forsyth, to us, was viewed as the country. For that matter the development were we live in Alpharetta now didn't exist until Mobil came in during the mid 80's. I think there was a store in Gainesville also, if I recall correctly, but I'm not sure. So yes, personal preception and perspective will play a huge role in how Belk is viewed....even by native or long time metro Atlantans. Last week was the first time I had ever been in a Belk.

My fashionista daughter probably thinks the same of Sears that I think of Belk. I, however, remember Sears during it's hayday. It will take time and patience to win some people over. It's quite possible it can happen quickly. For those of us who are Atlantans after Belk's retreat from the main stream retain scene, it will take reconditioning. Seeing a store in a strip mall....and bad ones at that...leaves a lasting impression. It is one that I think Belk is doing it's best to change. Then again maybe it will not have to because for every one native Atlantan you meet nine newcomers. It's like having a blank slate.

Celeste,

Looks like if you want to make a trek up to Forsyth County, you might have some luxury shopping options. The AJC is reporting that Taubman Company, developers of Orlando's Mall at Milenia and Tampa's International Plaza, are planning to build a luxury shopping mall at McFarland Pkwy (exit 12) and Georgia 400.

Very interesting considering that Cousin's is developing another Avenue lifestyle center at GA 141 (Exit 13) and Thomas Enterprises is developing a luxury lifestyle center at Old Milton Parkway (Exit 10).

This is all in addition to the already existing North Point mall. How much retail do we need in North Fulton/Forsyth??

I read this article in the paper today. I know exactly where it will be situated if built. It's a great spot being the next exit north on GA 400 from Windward. Do we need this much office space this far north? I personally dont think so. I can see the traffic extending north on GA400 in the morning from Mansell up to McFarland instead of Old Milton. Could this mall handle a Neimans? I think it can. I would miss the drive down to Buckhead though. Having a Niemans, Nordstrom and a Bloomingdales (among other typical Buckhead mainstays) would make the trip even less necessary.

I do wonder though, how does this bode for North Point? Will this new mall be NP's Phipps Plaza or a competitor. Time will tell. I'm sure my eldest daughter is eagerly awaiting the store list though. With the new Avenues coming on line, North Fulton?Forsyth will have a nice collection of stores. It's starting to become the Orange County, CA of Atlanta up here. :P

FrsikyDingo...I think your right. I grew up in Augusta Georgia (from middle school on to college) and Belk was not considered one of the better department stores in town. Firstly, the largest Belk in town was in a "low rent" mall in the working class side of town. The better mall had stores like Macys and Richs. The other Belk department stores in the Augusta metro area were either in strip malls, (North Augusta) or very small malls, (Aiken Mall). I know there are some nice Belk department stores out there but when they are in the same strip malls with Ace hardware and Dollar General, (like Ive seen around some of the smaller towns of South Carolina) they dont get viewed (at least by me) as being very nice stores.