Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

I can guarantee if Taubman is building it and it's upscale that it will be incredible. The Mall at Millenia is such a high quality project, the entire mall is made out of quality materials and very modern and has the perfect mix of retail, their is upscale mixed with retailers that the "better more average malls have" and it goes up from there. There is a lot of stores that are in the Atlanta market and some retailers that actually made it to Millenia first, like Zara, Bloomingdales, etc. So I bet in Atlanta they will get the retailers that cities like NYC or Miami has that Atlanta has been waiting for. International Plaza in Tampa is not quite as impressive, it's cramped with low ceilings and major anchors are Nordstrom, Dillards, Neiman Marcus, and Robb & Stucky. Atlanta deserves something better than that to be successful and I think Taubman will provide it.

I can guarantee if Taubman is building it and it's upscale that it will be incredible. The Mall at Millenia is such a high quality project, the entire mall is made out of quality materials and very modern and has the perfect mix of retail, their is upscale mixed with retailers that the "better more average malls have" and it goes up from there. There is a lot of stores that are in the Atlanta market and some retailers that actually made it to Millenia first, like Zara, Bloomingdales, etc. So I bet in Atlanta they will get the retailers that cities like NYC or Miami has that Atlanta has been waiting for. International Plaza in Tampa is not quite as impressive, it's cramped with low ceilings and major anchors are Nordstrom, Dillards, Neiman Marcus, and Robb & Stucky. Atlanta deserves something better than that to be successful and I think Taubman will provide it.

I assume you're referring to Taubman's announced luxury mall project in South Forsyth?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the new Calvin Klein Boutique is now open featuring the wonderful White Label Line.

Also of note Nicole Miller has relocated and opened up a new and much larger boutique.

As far as I know Shabby Chic is the only boutique that hasn't opened yet.

And finally the new two level Ralph Lauren Boutique has opened. The first level will feature all of the RL lines for men including the coveted Purple Label Line and accessories. Then the second level will feature all of the RL Lines for women along with accessories and will also feature Ralph Lauren's store for homes section making this a flagship Ralph Lauren Boutique, replacing the smaller Polo Ralph Lauren Boutique.

So it will be interesting to see what retailer will fill the old Polo Ralph Lauren location.

• 2 weeks later...

Belk really only has this "low-rent" reputation in Georgia, and maybe only in the Atlanta part of Georgia. I grew up with Belk as a nice department store much like Macy's or Rich's. The Belk stores were always among the best large department stores in the malls of the major cities in N.C.

Not true. Belk also has a low-rent reputation in Central Florida, they are awful stores!

From this weeks ABC, Streets of Buckhead has added another Madison Ave restaurant called Japonais to its lineup. They plan to have a total of 14 restaurants throughout the development.

Retail

Hermes

AG Adriano Goldschmied

Bottega Veneta

Domenico Vacca

Etro

Loro Piano

Luigi Borelli

Restaurants

Bottega del Vino

La Goulue

Japonais

Hotel/Residential

Paces Plaza Hotel and Residences - 100-key five-star boutique hotel with 40 condo units on top

1 Hotel and Residences - 175-key five-star eco-friendly hotel with 100 condominium units.

Hotel Monaco - 283 room luxury boutique hotel by Kimpton.

Edited by Martinman

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Belk in Phipps and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't so much that is was a sorry department store but I was expecting it to be similar to the Macy's at Lenox. This Belk was just like the Belk in Savannah, which is nice and all but doesn't need to go in Phipps Plaza. It was very cramped and small. It also didn't have a large selection. The mens section at Macy's seemed bigger than the entire Belk(its not, but you get what Im saying.) I think they should have expanded and Remodeled that Belk if they wanted it to be a flagship because I just don't feel like Im in a "flagship" store when Im in that Belk. Especially compared to the Macy's at Lenox. That store gives you that flagship feel, with its size and selection. Maybe the flagship Belk in Charlotte is alot better.

Sorry, I know you are the "retail expert" around here, but that would mean the Belk at SouthPark is over 500,000 sq. ft. - which I know for a fact is just not true. The former Parisian space at Phipps WAS actually quite nice, with 3 levels and direct escalator access from the underground parking deck.

Belk actually considers both the Phipps and Northpoint stores here to be flagships, as I've noticed in their advertising that the really upscale items are usually notated with a disclaimor that "these items only available at Phipps Plaza & Northpoint Malls."

FWIW, the Macy's at Lenox is considered the flagship store for Macy's South, and is a little over a whopping 433,000 sq. ft.

I went to the Belk in Phipps and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't so much that is was a sorry department store but I was expecting it to be similar to the Macy's at Lenox. This Belk was just like the Belk in Savannah, which is nice and all but doesn't need to go in Phipps Plaza. It was very cramped and small. It also didn't have a large selection. The mens section at Macy's seemed bigger than the entire Belk(its not, but you get what Im saying.) I think they should have expanded and Remodeled that Belk if they wanted it to be a flagship because I just don't feel like Im in a "flagship" store when Im in that Belk. Especially compared to the Macy's at Lenox. That store gives you that flagship feel, with its size and selection. Maybe the flagship Belk in Charlotte is alot better.

I understand what you're saying. From the way people on this forum praise Belk, you feel like you should be expecting something as nice as at least Nordstrom, if not Neimans and Saks. But, even the Belk at Southpark can't compare to these upscale retailers. Yes its lage, but its no has the same upscale feel/clean cut display/nice merchandise as these stores. At best, its a nice Macy's, and thats all you should be expecting. Of course, its nothing like a Mervyns or JC Penney (the SP store is definitely not the average Belk), but its no Saks or Barneys either.

Other news, Macy's poor performance for the last few years has costed it 9 stores. Also, some stores that may be affected is the Macy's at Lenox (since right now the Florida is its own region). They may be combining Macy's South and Florida, thus transferring the flagship title to Miami and making the Lenox location smaller (perhaps some moving or something? its still quite vague and their actions aren't known for sure.)

Sorry, I know you are the "retail expert" around here, but that would mean the Belk at SouthPark is over 500,000 sq. ft. - which I know for a fact is just not true. The former Parisian space at Phipps WAS actually quite nice, with 3 levels and direct escalator access from the underground parking deck.
Check your math. Belk at Phipps is 190,000 square feet. Belk SouthPark claims 330,000 square feet, but is actually closer to 400,000 when you count the lower level storage area that isn't used for sales.

To be fair, I wasn't impressed with Belk's housekeeping at SouthPark last time I was there either. But it's no reflection on the merchandise, which is as nice as Nordstrom, or its associates, who tend to do a great job. I can't imagine that it's as dramatic a drop-off from Parisian as some would describe.

I understand what you're saying. From the way people on this forum praise Belk, you feel like you should be expecting something as nice as at least Nordstrom, if not Neimans and Saks. But, even the Belk at Southpark can't compare to these upscale retailers. Yes its lage, but its no has the same upscale feel/clean cut display/nice merchandise as these stores. At best, its a nice Macy's, and thats all you should be expecting. Of course, its nothing like a Mervyns or JC Penney (the SP store is definitely not the average Belk), but its no Saks or Barneys either.

Other news, Macy's poor performance for the last few years has costed it 9 stores. Also, some stores that may be affected is the Macy's at Lenox (since right now the Florida is its own region). They may be combining Macy's South and Florida, thus transferring the flagship title to Miami and making the Lenox location smaller (perhaps some moving or something? its still quite vague and their actions aren't known for sure.)

Yeah, I read somewhere that they are closing some stores. None were in the ATL area though.

Do you seriously think they'll make the Macy's at Lenox smaller......I doubt that

Yeah, I read somewhere that they are closing some stores. None were in the ATL area though.

Do you seriously think they'll make the Macy's at Lenox smaller......I doubt that

It was mentioned in a number of articles as a possible move. I don't know the likelihood of the situation happening.

They are closing 9 stores, none in the Atlanta area, but a highly possible move is the merger of Macys South and Macys Florida, which news networks, such as on CNBC, predict that it would lead to a downsizing of the flagship store in Atlanta and movement of flagship status to the Miami store.

It wouldn't make any sense to shrink the Lenox Macy's unless it wasn't performing.

I am simply stating what I heard on the news. The way CNBC seemed to put it was Atlanta's store, relative to Miami, was underperforming. This doesn't mean that Lenox's store was unprofitable. There have been several incidents in retail history (and other industries) where companies downsize large locations to cut costs (resulting from a number of factors, but a big one could be that they want to maintain presence in other locations and those locations are too small to downsize and not worth to completely depart.) I don't know the likelihood of Lenox's store downsizing, it could just be a transferral of the "flagship" status; however, it has been discussed. Other companies in the past that practiced similar actions were FAO Schwarz, Dana Buchman, Adrienne Vittadini, I. Magnin, The Broadway, Prada, etc. All have downsized larger locations (and seemingly more profitable locations) to cut costs. Usually meaning that the last couple thousand square feet had very little/decreasing marginal productivity/sales. There are economic/financial incentives to do such actions.

Check your math. Belk at Phipps is 190,000 square feet. Belk SouthPark claims 330,000 square feet, but is actually closer to 400,000 when you count the lower level storage area that isn't used for sales.

To be fair, I wasn't impressed with Belk's housekeeping at SouthPark last time I was there either. But it's no reflection on the merchandise, which is as nice as Nordstrom, or its associates, who tend to do a great job. I can't imagine that it's as dramatic a drop-off from Parisian as some would describe.

Source please? LOL at even mentioning the basement of the SouthPark store. And my math comes out to 190,000 x 2 = 380,000, not 330,000 as you state. So no, the SouthPark Belk is NOT twice the size as you also stated. And I don't believe you that the Phipps store is only 190,000 sq. ft.

The bottom line is, Belk promised a "Flagship" at Phipps, which they have failed miserably at. The shoppers don't like it, and the other merchants wish they had never arrived.

I am simply stating what I heard on the news. The way CNBC seemed to put it was Atlanta's store, relative to Miami, was underperforming. This doesn't mean that Lenox's store was unprofitable. There have been several incidents in retail history (and other industries) where companies downsize large locations to cut costs (resulting from a number of factors, but a big one could be that they want to maintain presence in other locations and those locations are too small to downsize and not worth to completely depart.) I don't know the likelihood of Lenox's store downsizing, it could just be a transferral of the "flagship" status; however, it has been discussed. Other companies in the past that practiced similar actions were FAO Schwarz, Dana Buchman, Adrienne Vittadini, I. Magnin, The Broadway, Prada, etc. All have downsized larger locations (and seemingly more profitable locations) to cut costs. Usually meaning that the last couple thousand square feet had very little/decreasing marginal productivity/sales. There are economic/financial incentives to do such actions.

I'm calling pure BS on this. And just which Miami store are your alluding to here - that disgraceful dump of a downtown store?

Federated just added a 3 level 55,000 sq. ft. Mens Store to Lenox just a few years ago. The Lighting of the Great Tree is televised throughout the region from Lenox and routinely pulls in over 150,000 people every Thanksgiving. There is nothing similar at any Miami area Macy's.

There is no way, no how that Macy's has any plans th shrink the Lenox store.

Source please? LOL at even mentioning the basement of the SouthPark store. And my math comes out to 190,000 x 2 = 380,000, not 330,000 as you state. So no, the SouthPark Belk is NOT twice the size as you also stated. And I don't believe you that the Phipps store is only 190,000 sq. ft.

The bottom line is, Belk promised a "Flagship" at Phipps, which they have failed miserably at. The shoppers don't like it, and the other merchants wish they had never arrived.

Articles in the Charlotte Observer, Wikipedia, the book Belk: A Century of Retail Leadership, and information from Simon Property Group's website confirm Belk SouthPark's size at 330,000 square feet. The unused basement space is factored in because it is part of the store building. Information from Simon and from Belk and Saks, Incorporated, as well as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution confirm that Belk at Phipps is 190,000 square feet.

Before you try another attempt to "take me to school," consider this: the gross floor area of a department stores often differs greatly from the sale area and, additionally, trying to pick at straws to "prove" that somehow Belk is inferior to a defunct department store is really a waste of webspace.

Hanna Andersson a upscale Swedish children's clothier which also features accessories, stuffed toys, games and books as well as a small line of clothing for men and women has opened a boutique at Phipps Plaza. This is will be the fourth children's store to open in the Southeast's most posh mall and includes Oilily of Paris, Strasburg Children, and Janie & Jack.

Also Itailian luxury jewelry designer Roberto Coin has opened a boutique at Phipps Plaza. This is one of the first Roberto Coin Boutiques to open in the United States as Coin is just starting to open his own boutiques around the world to gain more recognition as opposed for example, to just selling his jewelry in upscale specialty and department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus. His jewelry is very beautiful, but very expensive as expected.

For more information on these two newly opened boutiques at Phipps Plaza please visit the following websites>

http://www.hannaandersson.com/home.asp

http://www.robertocoin.it

I'm calling pure BS on this. And just which Miami store are your alluding to here - that disgraceful dump of a downtown store?

Federated just added a 3 level 55,000 sq. ft. Mens Store to Lenox just a few years ago. The Lighting of the Great Tree is televised throughout the region from Lenox and routinely pulls in over 150,000 people every Thanksgiving. There is nothing similar at any Miami area Macy's.

There is no way, no how that Macy's has any plans th shrink the Lenox store.

Um, there are many large Miami stores and I'm assuming they brought this up because the major Miami stores perform better? Similarly, a few years is a lot for a company that recently went through a merger.

Two more retailers are signed for Streets of Buckhead,

Vilebrequin: French swimwear - has numerous locations in US, all in upscale shopping centers/districts

Optical Shops of Aspen: Upscale sunglasses

Um, there are many large Miami stores and I'm assuming they brought this up because the major Miami stores perform better? Similarly, a few years is a lot for a company that recently went through a merger.

Two more retailers are signed for Streets of Buckhead,

Vilebrequin: French swimwear - has numerous locations in US, all in upscale shopping centers/districts

Optical Shops of Aspen: Upscale sunglasses

I can't imagine why Lenox Macy's would not be able to perform equally to Miami. They both pull from large trade areas and both have numerous locations in their markets.

I'm really beginning to hate Macy's - they are getting a well deserved backlash to their cross-country ravaging of local department store chains.