Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Believe me, we in Orlando understand the utter disapointment of any store being replaced by Belk. We had 2 Parisian stores replaced by Belk not many months ago. The Belk store in West Oaks Mall has already closed. The mall just announced plans to add a lifestyle concept to the area where Belk was for just a few months. The store was horrible as we all knew it would be, but with Burdines as the Florida store, Parisian never really caught much attention or wasn't really an Orlando favorite. I think in either market, Orlando or Atlanta, replacing Bloomingdales by Belk would be even more horrendous than replacing Parisian with Belk. We actually had something quite the opposite happen in the 90's at Florida Mall, there was a horrid Belk there and it was replaced by Saks Fifth Avenue, things heading up in the right direction. Adding that Saks to Florida Mall totally changed the mall mix, it was followed by Lord & Taylor, Burdines, and Nordstrom as well as several new to market smaller stores. The former Lord & Taylor is being converted to a lifestyle concept with H & M anchoring. Don't forget how upset we in Florida were when we lost our beloved Burdines. That store was us, every bit as important to us as Rich's to Atlanta or Lazarus to Columbus. When friends from other states would come visit, they would collect the latest Burdine's shopping bag, which constantly changed themes. Burdines was always years ahead in their spring and summer wear. Most folks from other states (men) wore the same old khaki shorts and polo shirts. I remember going on a trip one summer in the mid 80's up I-75 and people everywhere staring at us because all of our shorts were below the knee, even folks at Lenox, everyone everywhere else was either wearing pretty short khakis or short track shorts. So while we may not be as dressy in the winter, with Burdines we were always stylin' in the spring and summer. BTW have you been to the Belk website? Is seems the majority of locations are in small southern towns. I still have to check out this "legendary" South Park Belk in Charlotte, I can't believe in the whole chain there is one store that is totally different than the rest of the crappy stores. We used to joke with friends back in high school if they were wearing some off the wall shirt or something and say "looks like somone's been shopping at Belks with their grandma." I know Orlando has come a long way and is not Atlanta, but several years ago we used to make shopping trips to Miami, there was a large percentage of us that were fashion foward and felt Orlando and Tampa were underserved retail wise, but that has changed a lot. Now there is only Jacksonville who has always been underserved but not quite sure if the thinking up there as far as fashion goes was the same as here, until recently, they are wanting and getting a few of the better retailers finally.

metrowester - I lived in Florida (mostly Orlando) for years, so I can relate to this. I also loved Burdines and remember when Orlando got its first big one at Fashion Square. I'm old enough to also remember Maas Brothers, Jordan Marsh, May-Cohen & Ivey's being very big names around the state.

As far as Belk at SouthPark, it truly is everything they claim it is. Any store would be proud to claim that as their flagship, especially a mid-market chain like Belk.

• 2 weeks later...

According to R&R Watch ATL, Italian jeweler and luxury goods retailer, Bvlgari (Bulgari), will be opening in Lenox Square on the lower level corner of the main corridor and Neiman Marcus wing.

That's a nice addition to the mall, especially if the other tenants in my previous post also materialize.

Has anyone heard about the following:

1 - That Valentino has signed a letter of intent for a store in Phipps?

2 - That Chanel has signed a letter of intent for a store in Lenox?

3 - That Bally of Switzerland is moving from Lenox to Phipps and will be replaced in Lenox by a Michael Kors boutique?

plus Bulgari, where is this info coming from, Tisha Melay the director of mall marketing?

Re Chanel:

I have been recently told by a staffer from one of the leading retailers in the Neiman Marcus wing that Simon is trying to create what they termed "Millionaire's Row" in that wing. IF Chanal goes into Lennox, then this is where and why.

You would think that Chanel would want to be at Streets of Buckhead.

If all of these retailers go through as rumored, Lenox will be a lot more like Galleria in Houston.

Now if we get a Prada AND Chanel Boutique we will officially be kicked up a knotch.

Last year in this thread it was rumored that Valentino and CH Carolina herrera were coming to lenox in 2008. is it still a posibility that we can get those stores or has all the Weight shifted to The Streets Of Buckhead?

Sun234

Last year in this thread it was rumored that Valentino and CH Carolina herrera were coming to lenox in 2008. is it still a posibility that we can get those stores or has all the Weight shifted to The Streets Of Buckhead?

Sun234

The Valentino Boutique will be located in Phipps Plaza between Elie Tehari and Boutique Giorgio Armani and is listed on the Phipps website not under Mall Directory but Your Mall Now @ Phipps Plaza along with Harold's, which is moving from Lenox to Phipps and a new intimate apparel boutique that will be opening.

Edited by kennethdisraili

The Business Chronicle has confirmed what perimeter285 reported earlier.

Valentino plans to open its boutique at Phipps this summer,

Michael Kors will open a 3,000 square foot store at Lenox in mid-August

and Bulgari will open its Lenox boutique also in August.

They reported that Bulgari had been eyeing the Atlanta market for five years.

The Business Chronicle has confirmed what perimeter285 reported earlier.

Valentino plans to open its boutique at Phipps this summer,

Michael Kors will open a 3,000 square foot store at Lenox in mid-August

and Bulgari will open its Lenox boutique also in August.

They reported that Bulgari had been eyeing the Atlanta market for five years.

That's interesting how both ATL and CLT are getting a Michael Kors this year

Has anyone heard rumors that Crate and Barrel might be exploring a move from their Lenox Square location to The Shops Around Lenox in the space formerly occupied by Tower Records and CompUSA? With Buckhead's growth and the continued prosperity of Lenox Square, my opinion is that The Shops Around Lenox are underpositioned for the area. The center needs an upgrade and I wish they would make it more urban in nature, maybe an open-air center with shops surrounding a courtyard (a la Bal Harbour).

• 4 weeks later...

This just in, designer Ermenegildo Zegna is said to be in the final discussions of opening a boutique in Phipps Plaza. With Sigrid Olsen now closed for good, that space on the upper level between Nordstrom and Saks and next to Ross Simon's would be an ideal choice.

I sure would like to know who owns/runs local retailer "Know Style." They are showing up in every mall, in prime locations. They have no website so they must not be national. The latest store is in the highly-desirable former Polo Ralph Lauren store in Lenox. It's on the first level, in the middle concourse of the mall - the highest traffic area. The store is a large space and would be perfect for a great high-end retailer new to Atlanta. Yet Simon has chosen to lease the space to this Know Style store with their tacky cardboardish sign. How the heck do they afford the overhead?? In Perimeter Mall, they're in the old Forth & Towne spot. I always find it tacky when a store opens and just uses their predeccesor's layout.

In other Lenox news, the relocated Pottery Barn store will, at 33,000 square feet, be the largest Pottery Barn in the chain when it opens later this year. Pottery Barn Kids will relocate to the existing Pottery Barn. J. Crew's concept Madewell is opening next to the new Pottery Barn in Lenox as well.

Edited by perimeter285

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Judith Leiber was relocating

I called the flagship Leiber Boutique in New York and was told that in fact the Atlanta Leiber Boutique is relocating and should be open by the early fall, but they would not specify as to the exact location when I asked if it would be Phipps Plaza.

• 1 month later...