Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Some possible good news for Phipps. The former Parisian store that converted to Belks at West Oaks Mall in Orlando closed after less than a year at the mall. That mall is anchored by Dillards, Sears, JCPenney, and formerly Parisian (Belks). Apparently the store could not attract much business, plus a new lifestyle center opened about 6 miles away called "Winter Garden Village at Fowler Groves." Belk has announced building their Kohl's type concept in that center which also has a Super Target, Beall's, Marshalls, etc. General Growth, the owner of West Oaks has stated that they will demolish the former Belk store and add an outdoor lifestyle concept to the mall with one smaller, higher end department store or larger retailer with some smaller shops and some full service restaurants. The former Jacobson's out of Michigan reopened two stores in Florida several years ago, one near downtown Orlando on Winter Park's Park Avenue and the other I believe in SW Florida. They are a possiblility to replace Belks, or possibly a store like West Elm, or a Limited Department store like at Dadeland in Miami. So for those of you who don't like the Belk/Phipps relationship may be in luck if the store is underperforming. Also the former Lord & Taylor at Florida Mall is being converted to H & M. The original Belks at Florida Mall converted to Saks about 12 years ago.

According to www.repeatatlanta.com

Ermenegildo Zegna, 7 for all mankind, and Faconnable, a French high end designer label, are all opening new boutiques in Lenox.

That's correct SAV,

The former Polo Ralph Lauren boutique on the first level of the main concourse will be split in half and 7 For All Mankind and Faconnable will locate thier new boutiques there while Ermenigildo Zegna will locate thier boutique on the Neiman Marcus wing in the former Nicole Miller space that was vacated when Nicole Miller opened up a new and expanded boutique on level two of the Neiman Marcus wing.

Yeah for Atlanta!!!

So i visited Lenox & Phipps over the weekend.....first i must say how excited i am to see the new additions at Lenox......the NM needs new lighting though.....i am still very disappointed at the Belk at Phipps. It is absolutely boring! I wonder what will take Sharper Image's spot. Seems like there are several spots at Phipps vacated. Wonder what is in store. I must say Clubhouse at Lenox has the best bruschetta ive ever had! :)

I am glad that you paid a visit to Atlanta. Please come back as often as you can, lol.

As far as the Belk, I am less than pleased with it. We were told that it would be in line with the flagship Belk at SouthPark. Now surely Charlotte can not deem this flagship for anywhere other than West Bumble, Mississippi. I can only gather that we (Atlanta) were not given a store inline with the SouthPark or Crabtree store. People in Birmingham are also having issues with Belk. If they infact want to make inroads into the Atlanta market, they definitely need to do a better job of delivering on their promises. The Atlanta market is littered with retail options...it's also littered with has beens.

It's easy to come into the market...it's not so easy to stay. What seperates Belk from any other mid-level retailer? This is not me with some supposed elitist attitude against Belk. As I said earlier, Atlanta is littered with retail options so I can make the choice not to shop at Belk if they don't match what I'm looking for. I feel however that Phipps was the wrong place for them to stumble. Lenox and Phipps captures a vast majority of our tourist shopping dollars. Phipps could be a great way for Belk to showcase that it has arrived. I mean any marketing guru at Belk can run tourist numbers and know that Atlanta's Lenox/Phipps has probably the highest number of tourist/conventioneer visits in it's fleet of stores.

It's like they are missing out on a great oppurtunity to brand themselves as above the standard Dillards/JCPenny's. As a shooper, if I was in Phipps Plaza and I went into Belk...as I have once...I would hold off on my purchase and just walk over or drive over to Lenox and go to Macy's. I would be curious to know the numbers. How is the store performing?

I am glad that you paid a visit to Atlanta. Please come back as often as you can, lol.

As far as the Belk, I am less than pleased with it. We were told that it would be in line with the flagship Belk at SouthPark. Now surely Charlotte can not deem this flagship for anywhere other than West Bumble, Mississippi. I can only gather that we (Atlanta) were not given a store inline with the SouthPark or Crabtree store. People in Birmingham are also having issues with Belk. If they infact want to make inroads into the Atlanta market, they definitely need to do a better job of delivering on their promises. The Atlanta market is littered with retail options...it's also littered with has beens.

It's easy to come into the market...it's not so easy to stay. What seperates Belk from any other mid-level retailer? This is not me with some supposed elitist attitude against Belk. As I said earlier, Atlanta is littered with retail options so I can make the choice not to shop at Belk if they don't match what I'm looking for. I feel however that Phipps was the wrong place for them to stumble. Lenox and Phipps captures a vast majority of our tourist shopping dollars. Phipps could be a great way for Belk to showcase that it has arrived. I mean any marketing guru at Belk can run tourist numbers and know that Atlanta's Lenox/Phipps has probably the highest number of tourist/conventioneer visits in it's fleet of stores.

It's like they are missing out on a great oppurtunity to brand themselves as above the standard Dillards/JCPenny's. As a shooper, if I was in Phipps Plaza and I went into Belk...as I have once...I would hold off on my purchase and just walk over or drive over to Lenox and go to Macy's. I would be curious to know the numbers. How is the store performing?

Has anyone actually seen this legendary "SouthPark flagship Belk store?" Maybe in the past since Charlotte didn't have a Federated store in its market that this Belk store seemed like an upscale department store. It makes no sense as Belk expands that they wouldn't use this similar concept in major markets, especially with the competition. Also, members of the Jacksonville forum swear that Belk is an upscale store, but the Jacksonville market also had nothing to compare it to until Dillard's came to town. In Orlando we got two former Parisian to Belk conversions and Belk is just as dull and horrible as ever, it's like a department store for the 70-90 year old market. I don't think they're going to make it with such odd, unfashionable merchandise. One of the new Belk stores has already closed in Orlando, but a new built from the ground up Belk has opened at a lifestyle center with the stand alone concept. There is also a new stand alone one floor JCPenney in the same center, with all checkouts at the front of the store, and a Kohl's with the same concept in the same center. And even with that type of store, JCPenney ranks first IMO, Kohl's second, and Belk with their wierd fashion sense ranks a distant third. (I've been to the Belk in Jacksonville at the Regency Square Mall and it didn't compare to Macy's to me at all, as I had been told.) Has anyone in this forum besides a Charlottonian been to the Charlotte Belk and is it really as they say?

Has anyone actually seen this legendary "SouthPark flagship Belk store?" Maybe in the past since Charlotte didn't have a Federated store in its market that this Belk store seemed like an upscale department store...Has anyone in this forum besides a Charlottonian been to the Charlotte Belk and is it really as they say?
Belk SouthPark is an excellent store any retailer would be proud to have it as its flagship location.

Belk SouthPark is an excellent store any retailer would be proud to have it as its flagship location.

You would know, your the retail expert! I just find it odd that Belk has not replicated that store in other markets. Are the other Carolina locations similar? When we had Ivey's here it was more of an upscale store, weren't they also Charlotte based? When they converted to Dillard's it seemed like a step down at the time because Ivey's had been kind of an Orlando institution since like the 40s or 50s. We do have a premium Dillard's at The Florida Mall, though. I don't understand what Belk is trying to do in this market, it's already saturated with similar stores, Bealls,JCPenney and Kohl's.

You would know, your the retail expert! I just find it odd that Belk has not replicated that store in other markets. Are the other Carolina locations similar? When we had Ivey's here it was more of an upscale store, weren't they also Charlotte based? When they converted to Dillard's it seemed like a step down at the time because Ivey's had been kind of an Orlando institution since like the 40s or 50s. We do have a premium Dillard's at The Florida Mall, though. I don't understand what Belk is trying to do in this market, it's already saturated with similar stores, Bealls,JCPenney and Kohl's.
Orlando would be a hard market for anybody new to make traction in. Same with Atlanta. Many designers place limits on what can be carried by whom in a specific market. When the market is dominated by Dillard's (or Macy's) and has just about every other heavy hitter in retail, there's not much that Belk can do in the way of exclusives. That's what makes Belk as good as it is in Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville and other Carolina markets. They're the dominant retailer, and they got the good stuff before Dillard's and Macy's have a chance. If the situation were reversed, and Belk was the established player, the new Dillard's or Macy's stores would likely be at a disadvantage like Belk is as the upstart.

Dillard's was a step down from Ivey's. Don't get me started. :(

So basically you are saying that the marketing executives at Belk did not know the same thing you just said in your first few lines? Steven I suggest you apply for a marketing rep's job ASAP because somebody dropped the ball. I have no issue with Belk per se. I think they may be a nice fit for some of the far suburban malls that Atlanta is littered with. My issue is that Belk promised us a "SouthPark Flagship-like" store at Phipps. The demographics in a a 10 mile radius warrants a top notch store. Buckhead is known nationally as one of the most affluent districts in the country. Belk however has not delivered on it's promise. People are complaining because the CEO came down and assured the Atlanta public that this store would be a flagship. If in fact the Phipps store is flagship then "Houston, we have a problem."

It's one thing to have a JCPenny like store at Arbor Place...it's a totally different thing to place one at Phipps.

You mention dominant retailers in Atlanta and Orlando's markets. Did the Belk agents not know that Atlanta has long had high end retailers in the market? Both Saks and Nieman Marcus have been in Atlanta longer than I have been living. Did they not know that Nordstrom and Bloomingdales had made nice inroads into the market many years ago? Atlanta has a flagship Macy's...surely they knew that. If they wanted to make a high end name for themselves then they should have done their homework a wee bit better or at least lived up to the promise.

If they could not hang with the big boys then they should have settled on the suburban malls that best meet their demographics and capabilities. Leave Phipps, Lenox and Perimeter to the big boys. As I have said, it's a hard market to build in. Nordstrom and Bloomingdales did it because their reputation precede them. Belk could have come into Phipps with guns blazing. Although people would have still raised an eyebrow at their presence, they still would have shopped there. This store does not live up to the fan fare that was placed on it...I left the store unimpressed...is this how the Belk's execs plan to into the high end markets outside the Carolinas. I certainly hope not.

Well, can somebody take a picture of the Belk In Charlotte or compare it to the Macy's at Lenox or something, because it must be 5 times better than the Belk at Phipps.

Ive always thought the Macys at Lenox was a great store. Huge 3 level Men's section and a huge handbag section.

Well, can somebody take a picture of the Belk In Charlotte or compare it to the Macy's at Lenox or something, because it must be 5 times better than the Belk at Phipps.

Ive always thought the Macys at Lenox was a great store. Huge 3 level Men's section and a huge handbag section.

I wish someone would post some pics of the South Park Belk's, I'd really like to see them. I would say that the Charlotte store sounds like it's 20 times better than Belks in Orlando.

I like Belks and have shopped their all of my life. In the Carolinas (especially Charlotte, Triad or Triangle) Belks has always had nice stores. Even in some of the smaller market cities!

This is about business, not about penthouse row! If Belks cannot succeed in a certain market it will surely fade away (just relax), but given the state of the economy, more people should be shopping at Belks. Trying to live a Champagne lifestyle on a Budweiser budget.

Surely Belks has something (or products) that appeals to shoppers in the "Rodeo Drive" of the South. My goodness, talking about elitist attitudes....sounds like a scene from the OC or MTVs sweet sixteen party.

I like Belks and have shopped their all of my life. In the Carolinas (especially Charlotte, Triad or Triangle) Belks has always had nice stores. Even in some of the smaller market cities!

This is about business, not about penthouse row! If Belks cannot succeed in a certain market it will surely fade away (just relax), but given the state of the economy, more people should be shopping at Belks. Trying to live a Champagne lifestyle on a Budweiser budget.

Surely Belks has something (or products) that appeals to shoppers in the "Rodeo Drive" of the South. My goodness, talking about elitist attitudes....sounds like a scene from the OC or MTVs sweet sixteen party.

I was born and raised in Columbia, SC and i think Belk is probably one of the worst dept stores ever......and im not exagerrating....after traveling to so many other places, it definately opens your eyes.

To answer some of your questions, I think that Belk came to Phipps specifically and to Atlanta in general because the Parisian stores were located here and part of the package purchased from Saks. I believe their intention was to take Parisian's vendor exclusives and combine them with their own to create a SouthPark-type store at Phipps. The reality is that something like that is easier to do on paper than it is in practice. The bad press, preconceived notions about what Belk was and is, and their own missteps in presenting and communicating their message did not help.

I am not a Belk apologist. I have probably as many gripes with their practices as some of you. But I know that they are capable of better stores and have seen many of them first hand.

post-1659-1216263814_thumb.jpg

This is Belk SouthPark

It's not elitist to want the high-end store at a high-end mall. Belk is capable. They just have to do it and mean it.

To answer some of your questions, I think that Belk came to Phipps specifically and to Atlanta in general because the Parisian stores were located here and part of the package purchased from Saks. I believe their intention was to take Parisian's vendor exclusives and combine them with their own to create a SouthPark-type store at Phipps. The reality is that something like that is easier to do on paper than it is in practice. The bad press, preconceived notions about what Belk was and is, and their own missteps in presenting and communicating their message did not help.

I am not a Belk apologist. I have probably as many gripes with their practices as some of you. But I know that they are capable of better stores and have seen many of them first hand.

post-1659-1216263814_thumb.jpg

This is Belk SouthPark

It's not elitist to want the high-end store at a high-end mall. Belk is capable. They just have to do it and mean it.

Thanks Stevenrocks for the picture. Just the exterior of the store would attract me to check out the inside. Maybe Belk has problems with the buyers (of mderchandise) in other markets. Even with the bad economy I would prefer even Target to Belks here, just to buy something cheap and trendy. Belk has never remodeled the interior of their stores here that they bought out, it feels like they have no special look or feel, they seem kind of temporary. I will have to visit the stand alone Belk store in The Loop West that was built from the ground up and see what that's like. Even though the two Parisian stores here were not in high end malls, Belk should have been a successful. But they seem to cater to people over 60. That may sit well in a lot of Florida markets, but Orlando has a very young population and is not a retirement center, it's a post-college city. But I was never impressed by Parisian either. The Florida market is different, Burdines did a great job catering to it. Macy's Florida also. Bloomingdales does very well with the young trendy crowd here, as well as Nordstrom. Dillard's does well with the more preppy crowd.

Belk used to have buyers for individual stores and, later, store groups. While that left many of its smaller stores at a disadvantage, the larger stores tended to be very nice merchandise-wise. Most of those buyers were let go in the late '90s during a corporate restructuring, and group buying has evened out the selections in their stores, which made the smaller stores better, but did not help the larger stores at all.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Well I am going to wait to get a more substantial source. Anyone can write something on a blog. Of course this person could be privy to some behind the scenes talk. It may be true and if it is then I am not surprised. There are several retailers who sale Prada and D&G (Saks Fifth Avenue comes to mind) and they do quite well from what I was told by the hired help when I was last at Phipps. At least we don't have to jump up and down when a new Publix, shoe store, fast food establishment or that like is being announce or built....the day that happens, I'm going to lay real low for a while, lol.

Edited by Lady Celeste