Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

The stores in from of cartier are farragamo and LV there not empty the only store that is missing from niemans wing is hermes Nicole miller moved upstairs thats the only thing i know that moved from there Next year we will have notiable designers. we already have Theory, ballys Max Mara giorgio armani, Valentino , Ehlie Tahari, Gucci, St John, Hermes, ferragamo, LV, Burberry, 2 Betsey Johnson, Barneys, Hugo boss, Calvin Klien, Versace, Jimmy Choo, Tory Burch, Vera Bradley,Karen Millen, Balgavri, David Yurman, Ralph lauren, Roberto Coin Y-3, 2 stuart Wietzman ,Kate Spade,Tiffanys Saks ` 3 Nordstroms Nicole miller, Michael Kors, 2 bloomingdales niemans

Next we will have current stores plus Hermes- flagship boutique

AG Adriono Goldschmie

Bottega Veneta- flagship boutique

Dominico Vacca

Etro

Loro Piano

Luigi Borelli

Vilebrequin

The Optical Shop Of Aspen

John Lobb

Oscar de la Renta

Van Cleef & Arpels

Bacaratt- Flagship Boutique

Plus Possible expanded stores like D&G prada Niemans etc Atlanta will be on of the top places

I was talking about in front of Cartier, not across from Cartier. I hope ATL gets another Neimans & gets Prada, Dolce & Gabbana & others. It will be awesome if I could go to Atlanta more often.

I wonder what they will get rid of for Barneys NY Co-Op. If it is two levels, then why does it have to be BNY Co-Op, not BNY? I wish it was a BNY. However, it is so awesome Phipps is getting a new Barney's New York Co-op.

Edited by ct3636

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many people think that Phipps is classier than Lenox. However, I think that it is opposite. I think that Neiman Marcus is higher end than Saks, and Bloomingdale's is slightly higher end than Nordstrom & Macy's Lenox is very much higher end than Belk Phipps. The most exclusive stores at Lenox are BVLGARI, Diesel, Miss Sixty, Cartier, Facconable, 7 For All Mankind & others. The most exclusive at Phipps are Valentino, Versace & Giorgio Armani. Lenox has more exclusive upscale stores. I think that Lenox Square is classier than Phipps Plaza (stores, excluding looks).

• 3 weeks later...

i was passing through Lenox earlier this week and noticed Mark Shale has closed. Does anyone know when it closed and why? Everytime I went in there the designers got more and more trendy, so maybe it wasn't flowing with the market.

Also has anyone heard anymore about Zegna opening a Lenox or phipps location?

Drew

i was passing through Lenox earlier this week and noticed Mark Shale has closed. Does anyone know when it closed and why? Everytime I went in there the designers got more and more trendy, so maybe it wasn't flowing with the market.
Mark Shale closed all of its stores outside the Chicago market due to financial troubles. The Lenox store was profitable, but too far from Chicago for them to want to keep.

Also has anyone heard anymore about Zegna opening a Lenox or phipps location?

Drew

It says that on Wikipedia. If it did open there, I am thinking that it would open in Hermes.

Yeah they just closed about 4 days ago I wonder what they are going to put in its spot because thats a big location to maybe add 2 retailers there. I also saw that Faconnable was opening a location next too 7 for all Mankind

Gilly Hicks is supposed to open a location at Lenox. Maybe they could put a Gilly Hicks and A Ruehl there. If that is not large enough for both, they could move Aldo into bebe sport and combine it with bebe and make the store larger. They may have to do that if they have both in the mall because 1 extra large store does not = 2 large stores.

• 1 month later...

Belk's closing at North Point is a reflection on that store's local market and the economic situation overall. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how Belk is doing in the market and it certainly casts no reflection on Phipps Plaza, Mall of Georgia or any other mall Belk anchors in the area.

Steven, I think what MartinMan is saying is that North Point is arguably in the metro's third most affluent district. Lenox/Phipps (1), Perimeter (2) followed by North Point (3). If the Belk at North Point didn't take off because word on the street was that the clothing carried there was not in keeping with the taste of the local market then how can the one at Phipps be much longer surviving.

In Belk's defense, there could be other factors at work at North Point that does not affect Phipps. A) North Point is owned by General Properties...and that could have something to do. Maybe behind the scenes action caused Belk to pull out. B) Phipps has a larger regional draw with zip codes from all over the southeast. North Point....while surrounded by country clubs and upscale neighborhoods...may have a harder time competing with other regional players...i.e., Mall of Georgia.

I'm actually surprised that North Point is in such a predicament. The local demographics are extremely high. I would guess that the 10 mile radius median income has to hover somewhere between $75,000 to $85,000. One would think that North Point to be a goldmine. I went once into the Belk at North Point and it reminded me of a Macy's. Then again I would have imaged that the lackluster performance of North Point is due to it's management and not the location.

Steven, I think what MartinMan is saying is that North Point is arguably in the metro's third most affluent district. Lenox/Phipps (1), Perimeter (2) followed by North Point (3). If the Belk at North Point didn't take off because word on the street was that the clothing carried there was not in keeping with the taste of the local market then how can the one at Phipps be much longer surviving.

In Belk's defense, there could be other factors at work at North Point that does not affect Phipps. A) North Point is owned by General Properties...and that could have something to do. Maybe behind the scenes action caused Belk to pull out. B) Phipps has a larger regional draw with zip codes from all over the southeast. North Point....while surrounded by country clubs and upscale neighborhoods...may have a harder time competing with other regional players...i.e., Mall of Georgia.

I'm actually surprised that North Point is in such a predicament. The local demographics are extremely high. I would guess that the 10 mile radius median income has to hover somewhere between $75,000 to $85,000. One would think that North Point to be a goldmine. I went once into the Belk at North Point and it reminded me of a Macy's. Then again I would have imaged that the lackluster performance of North Point is due to it's management and not the location.

While it can often be a factor in predicting overall performance, local income really doesn't have a lot to do with how a store performs. A lot of what determines if a store lives or dies are things that you stated in your post above.

Belk typically closes one or two locations a year due to underperformance. Original sales projections are often wrong, and often it's easier to let the stores close rather than to spend more good money after bad.

The extensive amount of bad press Belk received from Atlanta media certainly has tainted Belk's reputation in the market. Also, the success of North Point's smaller anchors has been spotty at best. Mervyn's didn't work, and neither did Lord & Taylor.

Outside of Perimeter Mall, the entire northern Atlanta retail market has struggled since Mall of Georgia, and to a lesser extent, Discover Mills, appeared. The area is rather overbuilt with retail and with any amount of downturn in the economy, cracks will show.

It may be overbuilt but to be fair, the closure examples you gave were not exactly thriving retailers. I have nothing against Belk but when their stores in metro Atlanta are more likely to be in a strip mall next to a Kroger and Staples than an enclosed mall, I just think it makes it a tough sell in the more affluent areas which is what Northpoint and Phipps have in common.

Edited by Martinman

It may be overbuilt but to be fair, the closure examples you gave were not exactly thriving retailers. I have nothing against Belk but when their stores in metro Atlanta are more likely to be in a strip mall next to a Kroger and Staples than an enclosed mall, I just think it makes it a tough sell in the more affluent areas which is what Northpoint and Phipps have in common.
I think having a flexible real estate strategy is a smarter idea these days than focusing exclusively on one type of location. A lot of people are unfairly biased against Belk because they go where their customers are shopping, but nobody seems to bat an eye when Sephora sets up inside a JCPenney, or Best Buy sets up practically anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting to see a Belk that is upscale, then I wouldn't be so annoying. Last weekend I visited our newest retail center in Metro Orlando, called Posner Park at I-4 and US 27 in Haines City. The center was anchored by Dicks Sporting Goods, JCPenney, Belk, Target and Kohl's. I don't think you could honestly tell the difference between JCP, Kohl's, or Belk. All three stores have those little shopping carts, all front store check-outs. I would have to say for young men the store with the most appealing clothing selection would be Kohl's. I don't quite understand what a "Belk" is at this point, and who they are targeting. I swear they had a section in young men's that carried "Jordache" items!! :dontknow: This economy that we are in now must be what is causing the the layout of these new one-floor stand alone type stores. I would say that this new genre of department stores here in Central Florida includes: Kohl's, Bealls, Belk, JC Penney, Target Home and Walmart Lifestyle. I would say the store with the most durable goods (not from a fashion sense at all) would be Belk, Bealls and JCP. Kohl's would be borderline and Target then Walmart would be the lower end.

Yeah, Belk can be pretty bad in some areas. However, seeing the SouthPark store will make you think that is upscale. I do not really like Belk that much anymore because of all of their cheap stuff. I just buy Polo mens underwear and pajamas and stuff like that at Belk because of good selection. I would rather shop at Nordstrom for clothes.

ALSO:

Since Phipps is getting 9 new luxury retail stores, does anyone think that one will be Prada? I think that it is possible, considering that they have been looking for a location in Atlanta. Chanel would be cool too.

Buckhead is said to have the most boutiques in one city (for Buckhead "neighborhood", for now, at least). Buckhead will have so much when Facconable opens, Ermengildo Zegna opens in the former Hermes, and Dolce & Gabbana, Baccarat and Brioni open in The Streets of Buckhead.

This is so sad: Aeropostale opened/is opening at Lenox Square. It will be on the Plaza level next to Bloomingdales. It does not look very big. It looks nowhere near the size of the malls largest stores: former Mark Shale, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie & Fitch, Lacoste (just kidding), and others.

This is so sad: Aeropostale opened/is opening at Lenox Square. It will be on the Plaza level next to Bloomingdales. It does not look very big. It looks nowhere near the size of the malls largest stores: former Mark Shale, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie & Fitch, Lacoste (just kidding), and others.

Back in the 80's Aeropostale was considered a "trendy" store and I believe it was owned by Macy's. I have noticed that here in Orlando they have opened stores in all the malls except Millenia (the upscale one.) There is another store called Anchor Blue that seems kind of cheapy that's been opening also. In this economy I suppose a mall is lucky to get a national brand lease. I've noticed that the Gap has closed in several middle income malls and is mainly in the more upscale malls now. I don't think we can look foward to much upscale development in any city in these times. We have a new trendy store that has opened in the city downtown called Forty VII. I hope it makes it, it's in the heart of the city on the first floor of a new condo tower but I have my doubts, there is not much retail wise in downtown Orlando, mainly upscale restuarants and nightclubs so we shall see. A movie theater opened in the same building a couple of weeks ago and there is also a Corona Cigar bar and an Urban Flats restuarant in the same building. We have a pretty large downtown population compared to a lot of cities (25,000 within 1 mile of the CBD, 60,000 within 3 miles but it just doesn't seem like a retail hub. Hope I'm wrong. Hey, at least it wasn't an Old Navy that opened in Lenox!

Back in the 80's Aeropostale was considered a "trendy" store and I believe it was owned by Macy's. I have noticed that here in Orlando they have opened stores in all the malls except Millenia (the upscale one.) There is another store called Anchor Blue that seems kind of cheapy that's been opening also. In this economy I suppose a mall is lucky to get a national brand lease. I've noticed that the Gap has closed in several middle income malls and is mainly in the more upscale malls now. I don't think we can look foward to much upscale development in any city in these times. We have a new trendy store that has opened in the city downtown called Forty VII. I hope it makes it, it's in the heart of the city on the first floor of a new condo tower but I have my doubts, there is not much retail wise in downtown Orlando, mainly upscale restuarants and nightclubs so we shall see. A movie theater opened in the same building a couple of weeks ago and there is also a Corona Cigar bar and an Urban Flats restuarant in the same building. We have a pretty large downtown population compared to a lot of cities (25,000 within 1 mile of the CBD, 60,000 within 3 miles but it just doesn't seem like a retail hub. Hope I'm wrong. Hey, at least it wasn't an Old Navy that opened in Lenox!

It is surprising for Lenox though because Ermengildo Zegna and Faconnable are opening. But yeah, that would be terrible for an Old Navy to open there.

• 4 weeks later...