Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Pottery Barn, Apple, Coach, BCBG, and J. Crew is called trending downward? Could have fooled me. Harold's filed for bankruptcy and closed all of their stores. That had nothing to do with the Greenville market. Parisian got bought by Belk and converted all of their stores over to that nameplate so they're not in existence anymore either. Haywood Mall continues to get better and will do so in the future. Yeah, we lost Eddie Bauer but so did the Galleria in Houston along with many other high-end malls. That had to do with the company and not the malls they were located in. Malls aren't what they used to be which is why you continue to see them close and go under. Only the strong survive like Haywood, Lenox, and Southpark.

It has gotten some better in-line tenants at Haywood and Apple is a good catch but back in the '70s and '80s, Greenville had some better stores that are now long-gone; Heyward Mahon, Ivey's and the like; Haywood is better than it used to be, but it's still a mall that has plenty of riff-raff in it; as it's now the only mall in town, where else can you go if you're upper-income?

I like upscale department stores and quiet, upscale malls. Greenville used to have both. Now it doesn't.

I went to Lenox yesterday. I was very disappointed. It was much better last time. I went at 4, which was definitely a mistake. Last time, I went at 10 AM on a Saturday. It was nice and not very packed. Yesterday, it took about 30 minutes just to get from the Lenox & Peachtree intersection to the Bloomingdale's parking deck. Then, it was still hard to find a space. I definitely agree with the people say that rapper wannabes go there to show off their "bling" instead of shop. It is very annoying. About half of the people who looked like that went out without shopping bags. The Apple store was nice and big and was not that packed. Abercrombie & Fitch was really packed and was a small store. Bloomingdale's, Macy's, and Lacoste were nice but Lacoste was small too. Then we went to the food court. If you have never been to the food court at Lenox, don't go. After you see that, you will like the mall a whole lot less. It looks like it has not been touched since it opened. It doesn't even looks like they even completely finished it. The flooring in the food court looks like they payed about $10 for all of it. Also, most of it has a really small ceiling height. It's not like it matters that much, but the flooring throughout the mall looked bad and dated also. The mall did look pretty nice in some ways. It looks like they didn't renovate the back either. It looks like it has not been touched as well. The front of the mall has obviously been renovated though. I visited the Mall of Georgia today, and honestly, I liked it better than Lenox. If Lenox was less crowded, was renovated again, and some of the stores were larger that would change my opinion again.

The Bigger Lacoste and abercrombie store are at perimeter mall. All the other stores are pretty much decent size. I hate the food court myself and please dont put labels on people its not cool especially when you dont know them personally. Alot of the Wanna be rappers I have seen spend lots of money In Niemans Also (I used to work for Niemans) Now you can catch me at Barneys NY co Op store in phipps lol . Saturdays are always supper packed in the afternoon Thats the day most African Americans go to Lenox. Caucasin are usually in full affect on sundays. So I would suggest if you dont like saturdays go in the morning and if you cant deal with the wanna be rappers showing off there cars then I would go on sunday

Edited by DOLCE&GABBANA

<br>The Bigger Lacoste&nbsp;&nbsp;and abercrombie store are at perimeter mall. All the other stores are pretty much decent size. I hate the food court myself and please dont put labels on people its not cool especially when you dont know them personally. Alot of the Wanna be rappers I have seen spend lots of money In Niemans Also (I used to work for Niemans) Now you can catch me at Barneys NY co Op store in phipps lol&nbsp;&nbsp;. Saturdays are always supper packed in the afternoon Thats the day most African Americans go to Lenox. Caucasin are usually in full affect on sundays.&nbsp;&nbsp;So I would suggest if you dont like saturdays go in the morning and if you cant&nbsp;&nbsp;deal with the wanna be rappers showing off there cars then I would go on sunday<br>
<br><br>lol Yeah. Maybe not all of them were but I did see some that were getting into their cars without any shopping bags. Yeah that food court really sucked lol. I would have went another time normally but I didn't get to Atlanta till 3 and then I had to go back on Sunday and didn't have time to wait till opening. It was very nice and quiet on Saturday morning and when I go back I will go then.&nbsp;

If I have to eat at lenox California pizza kitchen it is. Phipps is not better for the to be a grand as it is the food court is a mess too. Perimeter has the better food court. I hope your next experience is better. You may wanna stop by perimeter mall next time it's less traffic

Yeah the food court at Phipps was not that good but it was definitely better than the one at Lenox.

Yeah the food court at Phipps was not that good but it was definitely better than the one at Lenox.

I love the food court at Phipps Plaza. I like that it is on the top floor and the selection is small but decent, Moes, Johnny Rockets, Sbarro, and a few others. The big window gives it nice natural lighting.

Has anyone Heard any news on Ermenegildo Zegna still opening a store at Lenox? I saw a nice space next to Bvlgari that would be perfect, Since it looks like all the spaces on the Neiman Marcus wing are taken.

Drew

I think that they are still planning to open in the former Hermes space.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day to you all here on the ATL boards. I'm from VA and recently moved down to Greenville, SC however I decided to take a trip down to ATL for Good Friday and boy, you all down there in ATL are blessed big time as far as shopping is concerned!!!

I had a lot of friends who told me about Lenox Square and the hype surrounding this place and well....I can say I believe the Hype about this mall. That place is awesome! Granted, it costed me some money just to window shop! LOL!!! This place is nice! Does anyone have a history of this mall. (wink wink StevenRocks) :whistling:

I also visited Phipps Plaza! LOVE IT!!!! But I will say that the Belk store there wasn't all that impressive. It actually reminded me of the Belk Stores in Virginia. I don't see why and how Belk classifies that particular location as a flagship. Now the Belk store at SouthPark in Charlotte is what you call a Flagship store but the one at Phipps wasn't all that spectacular. :(

By the way, what's with the natives of Atlanta and Belk. Seems to me that this market doesn't like Belk for some reason? What's up with that????

Anyways, look forward to do some real shopping down there soon!!!

Good day to you all here on the ATL boards. I'm from VA and recently moved down to Greenville, SC however I decided to take a trip down to ATL for Good Friday and boy, you all down there in ATL are blessed big time as far as shopping is concerned!!!

I had a lot of friends who told me about Lenox Square and the hype surrounding this place and well....I can say I believe the Hype about this mall. That place is awesome! Granted, it costed me some money just to window shop! LOL!!! This place is nice! Does anyone have a history of this mall. (wink wink StevenRocks) whistling.gif

I also visited Phipps Plaza! LOVE IT!!!! But I will say that the Belk store there wasn't all that impressive. It actually reminded me of the Belk Stores in Virginia. I don't see why and how Belk classifies that particular location as a flagship. Now the Belk store at SouthPark in Charlotte is what you call a Flagship store but the one at Phipps wasn't all that spectacular. sad.gif

By the way, what's with the natives of Atlanta and Belk. Seems to me that this market doesn't like Belk for some reason? What's up with that????

We Dont like belks because it reallys doesnt offer much. Most people here shop at Nordstroms Bloomies Niemans and Macys. Macys is like the number 1 dept store around here. Belks selections are horrible to me especially for men. South park needs a store like the Belks they have because they dont have Saks are a Bloomies plus there macys isnt a flagship macys.

I had a lot of friends who told me about Lenox Square and the hype surrounding this place and well....I can say I believe the Hype about this mall. That place is awesome! Granted, it costed me some money just to window shop! LOL!!! This place is nice! Does anyone have a history of this mall. (wink wink StevenRocks) :whistling:

I also visited Phipps Plaza! LOVE IT!!!! But I will say that the Belk store there wasn't all that impressive. It actually reminded me of the Belk Stores in Virginia. I don't see why and how Belk classifies that particular location as a flagship. Now the Belk store at SouthPark in Charlotte is what you call a Flagship store but the one at Phipps wasn't all that spectacular. :(

I like Lenox too, but I didn't like it as much last time. Some of the mall looks a lot older than the rest (food court, back of the mall beside Bloomingdales, etc.). I kind of like SouthPark better mostly because its closer, looks newer, and is less crowded.

Here's what I know or have been told of Lenox history.

It was built @ 1960 billed as "the largest shopping center in the south". It was originally an open air mall - what we would call a "lifestyle center" today - and was carefully modeled after the main shopping street in downtown at the time except that it was designed in a modernist style. Over the years the mall was enclosed and expanded through several renovations and additions.

Here's a picture I found from the 60's

Lenox%20Square%20Mall%2C%20Atlanta%2C%20GA%2060s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at The Streets of Buckhead on wikipedia.com and noticed that Gucci has been added to the list, which currently has their boutique in Phipps Plaza. The boutique went through a multi million dollar renovation in 2006, but I'm not surprised to see this since Gucci Inc. also owns Bottega Veneta which is locating in the SOB. Now if they can only woo in another Gucci Inc. division to locate in the SOB, which would be Yves Saint Laurent.