Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

Well one thing is for sure. Phipps Plaza won't be hurting for any jewelry boutiques. They certainly have plenty to choose from.

My only concern is the fact that Phipps Plaza was designed to be a luxury mall, and that is what Corporate City Investors were trying to do before Simon bought the mall.

Now you see boutiques like Bulgari, Fendi, Cartier, Salvator Ferragamo, Faconnable, 7 For All Mankind and others calling Lenox Square home.

Plus you have this terrible mix of tenants like Coldwater Creek, J.Jill, Justice and others that should be assigned to the Belk wing.

They should turn the second level between Saks and Nordstrom into another luxury wing. Just shuffle some stores around and then the mall will have room to court luxury retailers like I mentioned above.

And the last problem with Simon running Phipps Plaza is all of the overlapping stores that are also in Lenox Square such as Landau Jewelers, Bebe, Ann Taylor, Brookstone, Williams-Sonoma, and Mori Luggage.

Maybe Simon should consider getting a new Marketing Director to steer the mall on the course that it was origionally intended for. And I don't even have the energy to post anything about Belk since it has been debated so much on this forum.

I totally agree. And what is up with Lenox getting all of the luxury high-end retailers like Fendi? Since Simon owns them both now, I think that they should, first, rebrand Phipps into the super-luxury shopping destination it was built for, and, second, ask the high-end retailers at Lenox and the mid-scale stuff that Simon allowed in Phipps to do a little switching around i.e. Bvlgari, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Faconnable, 7 for all mankind, and Ermengildo Zenga at Lenox with Justice and all the other "tween" and children's clothing stores at Phipps.

Don't even get me started on Belk. I think that the Marketing Exec. of Phipps needs to get Belk to go away, and somehow convince the executives of Bergdorf Goodman to create their first branch location

I totally agree. And what is up with Lenox getting all of the luxury high-end retailers like Fendi? Since Simon owns them both now, I think that they should, first, rebrand Phipps into the super-luxury shopping destination it was built for, and, second, ask the high-end retailers at Lenox and the mid-scale stuff that Simon allowed in Phipps to do a little switching around i.e. Bvlgari, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Faconnable, 7 for all mankind, and Ermengildo Zenga at Lenox with Justice and all the other "tween" and children's clothing stores at Phipps.

Don't even get me started on Belk. I think that the Marketing Exec. of Phipps needs to get Belk to go away, and somehow convince the executives of Bergdorf Goodman to create their first branch location

IMO, that would be kind of dumb to switch the stores around. They wouldn't like that because it's extremely annoying, and Neiman Marcus would absolutely hate it, maybe enough to move elsewhere. Lenox simply makes more money than Phipps and is just better IMO. I went to Lenox at 3 on a Saturday and it was very crowded. Then I went across the street to Phipps Plaza and it was almost completely empty. Also, the stores at Lenox are a lot larger than the corresponding stores at Phipps (Nordstrom is half the size of Bloomingdale's, Saks is smaller than Neiman Marcus even before the expansion, and Macy's is about 3 times larger than Belk. The only thing that I like about Phipps better than Lenox is their food court. It hardly has anything, but it is nicer looking. You guys are too snobbish and annoying. I mean I understand with Belk at Phipps, it does suck. But if Belk was like the one at SouthPark, it would be fine. It is very similar to the Nordstrom at SouthPark, but with some cheaper brands as well.

IMO, that would be kind of dumb to switch the stores around. They wouldn't like that because it's extremely annoying, and Neiman Marcus would absolutely hate it, maybe enough to move elsewhere. Lenox simply makes more money than Phipps and is just better IMO. I went to Lenox at 3 on a Saturday and it was very crowded. Then I went across the street to Phipps Plaza and it was almost completely empty. Also, the stores at Lenox are a lot larger than the corresponding stores at Phipps (Nordstrom is half the size of Bloomingdale's, Saks is smaller than Neiman Marcus even before the expansion, and Macy's is about 3 times larger than Belk. The only thing that I like about Phipps better than Lenox is their food court. It hardly has anything, but it is nicer looking. You guys are too snobbish and annoying. I mean I understand with Belk at Phipps, it does suck. But if Belk was like the one at SouthPark, it would be fine. It is very similar to the Nordstrom at SouthPark, but with some cheaper brands as well.

Neiman Marcus could most likely care less, because they were at Lenox long before those the high-end stores around them were. It's not that Lenox or Phipps is better than the other, it's just that they have different clientele foci. Phipps markets itself towards a more, very wealthy, adult crowd, while Lenox markets itself towards a younger crowd. Their stores aren't even correspondent, so I don't know what that was about. And it isn't that Belk is a crappy department store, it's just that it is a mid-scale department store that doesn't go along with the super-luxury high-end atmosphere of Phipps.

Neiman Marcus could most likely care less, because they were at Lenox long before those the high-end stores around them were. It's not that Lenox or Phipps is better than the other, it's just that they have different clientele foci. Phipps markets itself towards a more, very wealthy, adult crowd, while Lenox markets itself towards a younger crowd. Their stores aren't even correspondent, so I don't know what that was about. And it isn't that Belk is a crappy department store, it's just that it is a mid-scale department store that doesn't go along with the super-luxury high-end atmosphere of Phipps.

It just wouldn't be logical to move from one of the most profitable malls in the country to a mall that is more luxurious but is empty most of the time. That's probably why Fendi and Ermengildo Zegna are opening at Lenox. It's more profitable and more people visit that mall. People tend to visit upscale malls more than luxury malls. For example, if I was in Florida, I would rather visit The Mall at Millenia or Aventura Mall rather than Bal Harbour Shops, simply because the price range is much larger. When I said "correspondent", I was comparing the sizes of the stores. Neiman Marcus at Lenox would correspond to Saks at Phipps because they are very similar. I really wouldn't call Belk a midscale department store. I would say it's more upper-middle scale. I haven't been since a few months after opening, so I don't remember the brands that well. But if it is like the one at the Haywood Mall in Greenville, then it would be "upper-middle". They have Tommy Bahama, Lacoste, Michael Kors, BCBG MAX AZRIA, St. John. etc. That sounds like what Parisian was to me and the Phipps Plaza shoppers on this website didn't really complain about them.

It just wouldn't be logical to move from one of the most profitable malls in the country to a mall that is more luxurious but is empty most of the time. That's probably why Fendi and Ermengildo Zegna are opening at Lenox. It's more profitable and more people visit that mall. People tend to visit upscale malls more than luxury malls. For example, if I was in Florida, I would rather visit The Mall at Millenia or Aventura Mall rather than Bal Harbour Shops, simply because the price range is much larger. When I said "correspondent", I was comparing the sizes of the stores. Neiman Marcus at Lenox would correspond to Saks at Phipps because they are very similar. I really wouldn't call Belk a midscale department store. I would say it's more upper-middle scale. I haven't been since a few months after opening, so I don't remember the brands that well. But if it is like the one at the Haywood Mall in Greenville, then it would be "upper-middle". They have Tommy Bahama, Lacoste, Michael Kors, BCBG MAX AZRIA, St. John. etc. That sounds like what Parisian was to me and the Phipps Plaza shoppers on this website didn't really complain about them.

Parisian was fancier than the Belk at Haywood, in my view- even if the highest-range article at Parisian wasn't much higher-range than the highest-range article at a nicer Belk (and that's disputable), Belk will sell $9.99 track pants in a store in a strip center anchored by Wal-Mart. That's what people complain about; it's all about image. Parisian would never stoop so low; I shopped at the Greenville Parisian for its entire life and the store never sold low-end junk; it was an upper-middle to upper-level store- not luxury but not low-end either.

Parisian was fancier than the Belk at Haywood, in my view- even if the highest-range article at Parisian wasn't much higher-range than the highest-range article at a nicer Belk (and that's disputable), Belk will sell $9.99 track pants in a store in a strip center anchored by Wal-Mart. That's what people complain about; it's all about image. Parisian would never stoop so low; I shopped at the Greenville Parisian for its entire life and the store never sold low-end junk; it was an upper-middle to upper-level store- not luxury but not low-end either.

Yeah Belk can be pretty nice but they have a really bad image. I wish they would close the crappier small town stores, but their big city image will pretty much be ruined regardless. If there's one thing for sure, it's that it's mostly nicer than Macy's. Macy's is getting more like JCPenney. There aren't many stores that are nice (Mall at Millenia, Lenox Square, Pentagon City, Roosevelt Field, Herald Square Flagship, State St. Flagship, South Coast Plaza, etc.).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Tisha Maley the Vice President of Marketing for Simon said that they cannot confirm that Prada will be leasing space in any of thier Atlanta properties, particuarly Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza which Ms. Maley oversees.

I am a Prada fanatic, especially the men's shoes and accessories- even luggage, but you all know how wikipedia and other blogs can be unreliable. One poster on "whatnowatlanta" even asked for a source of confirmation, but all that was said was that by being on that blog, IT WAS CONFIRMED. Well could it be that the folks at "whatnowatlanta" know something more than the very person in charge of leasing at Lenox? Wow, I wish I had inside connections like that.

However, Simon may actually know, but are not ready to make the Prada deal public yet. They may be ironing out some specifics that Prada may want included in the lease, so it may turn out that "whatnowatlanta" might just possibly be right about this. Let's hope so.:D

Kenneth,

There is an article in the WWD from September 13, 2010 from the Prada COO that says "discussions are under way to open stores in shopping centers in Houston and Atlanta, as well as malls such as Beverly Center in Los Angeles and Short Hills Mall in New Jersey.'

Super David,

Keep up the investigative work because I am more inclined to believe the Prada COO than so many of these blogs that we have. If Prada does open, I'll buy you a tie!!:yahoo:

I found this over in the Charlotte forum under the SouthPark Mall thread. Seems Belk is trying to change thier image. The four "flagship" stores will recieve the new signs first, which are SouthPark, Crabtree, Phipps, and The Summit in Birmingham.

http://assets.bizjou...92791-0-0-1.jpg

Picture courtesy of Digital Sky

post-17714-008320900 1286262726_thumb.jp

I found this over in the Charlotte forum under the SouthPark Mall thread. Seems Belk is trying to change thier image. The four "flagship" stores will recieve the new signs first, which are SouthPark, Crabtree, Phipps, and The Summit in Birmingham.

http://assets.bizjou...92791-0-0-1.jpg

Picture courtesy of Digital Sky

post-17714-008320900 1286262726_thumb.jp

Is it my faulty memory, or is that the exact same font Bloomingdale's uses?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Tisha Maley the Vice President of Marketing for Simon said that they cannot confirm that Prada will be leasing space in any of thier Atlanta properties, particuarly Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza which Ms. Maley oversees.

I am a Prada fanatic, especially the men's shoes and accessories- even luggage, but you all know how wikipedia and other blogs can be unreliable. One poster on "whatnowatlanta" even asked for a source of confirmation, but all that was said was that by being on that blog, IT WAS CONFIRMED. Well could it be that the folks at "whatnowatlanta" know something more than the very person in charge of leasing at Lenox? Wow, I wish I had inside connections like that.

However, Simon may actually know, but are not ready to make the Prada deal public yet. They may be ironing out some specifics that Prada may want included in the lease, so it may turn out that "whatnowatlanta" might just possibly be right about this. Let's hope so.:D

Actually, Simon pretty much never confirms if a retailer is opening at their malls until the company has confirmed it.

<br>Well this is all good news for me.. Fendi, Herve, Zegna, LV expansion, and hopefully Prada wow the retail market must be doing well...&nbsp;&nbsp;I went by the fendi store yesterday and bought a belt.. I like there accessories..<br>
<br>Since Prada may even open at Lenox, do you guys think that Lenox could eventually have more luxury stores than Phipps? I mean it's possible. They are actually probably about the same even now. I could definitely see the idea of Chanel &amp; Dior taking the rest of the Mark Shale working.&nbsp;

<br>Since Prada may even open at Lenox, do you guys think that Lenox could eventually have more luxury stores than Phipps? I mean it's possible. They are actually probably about the same even now. I could definitely see the idea of Chanel &amp; Dior taking the rest of the Mark Shale working.&nbsp;

It is very possible with Simon's Tisha Melay making the statement that, "We hope to be the next South Coast Plaza."

Now earlier when I was talking about moving stores around, I was talking about moving stores like J.Jill, Coldwater Creek, Barami, Vera Wang and even possibly Talbot's to the Belk wing, not over to Lenox, and making the upper level high end luxury like the bottom Nordstrom and Saks wings are in additon to the wing leading to Monarch Court, which has Ann Fontaine, Tory Burch, Barneys CO-OP, Jimmy Choo, Coach and on the other side Tiffany & Co. and Cole Haan.

I can always dream LOL

I think the font looks too much like the Bloomingdale's font. They should have just used the font from the "Belk Gives" logo (underneath the main logo at the top left, the pink breast cancer awareness button). It's similar but it doesn't look like a direct copy of anyone else, and they still could use the blue leaf thing and the same color scheme.

You know the Belk Gives logo is nice too. But let's face it, they already have a 70 million dollar investment in this logo, so I'm pretty sure it's gonna stay around for a while so as time goes by, I'm sure everyone will get used to it.

Wow, if we keep this sign thing going, it may turn into a thread and Neo will have to split this thread like he did over in the Charlotte forum. So with that said, I really love the new Phipps Tower that you can partially see to the right of the upper photo Digital Sky provided. But I was just wondering, with an entire mall built on top of parking decks how would Simon ever expand Phipps? It seems like a financial and logistical nightmare.

Also I counted what would be considered high end luxury boutiques and Phipps is still on top but Lenox is catching up. Lenox was origionally supposed to showcase new concept stores and up and coming designers like David Yurman and Michael Kors. The stradagy to make it high end luxury has just been recent, but Simon needs to keep a balance between Phipps and Lenox, and Tisha Melay has a vested interest in both Phipps and Lenox as the Vice President of Marketing, so I'm sure the Simon team need not be reminded that Phipps has been valued at over 500 million dollars, and it would be in the best interest of the Simon team to keep it healthy.

One thing, Phipps doesn't need a lot of foot traffic like Lenox, the cost of just a few pieces of apparel, say like from Giorgio Armani or Valentino could pay thier rent for a month lol.

Also Phipps has not had a major renovation since thier expansion in 1992. So 18 years have past. The brass is beautiful, but now out of style. Chrome and silver are back in. The wood paneling was popular back in the early nineties, but it to needs to be painted over, or replaced with granit or marble. The handrails need an upgrade too, and the color of the ceilings and moldings might need to be a bright white. Add in some new snazzy modern light fixtures to. Another words, get rid of the Antebellum/S.S. Titantic look and go luxury-upscale-modern. One thing though. Do not touch that imported, laid by hand Italian marble flooring. That is off limits. This is just an idea, so please don't beat me up too bad guys/gals.:o

Edited by Kenneth Disraili