Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

• 2 months later...

J. Crew is opening a crewcuts store in the former Karen Millen space, and possibly a Wedding Collection store as well. The Lenox J Crew is very large but it's useless because the SA's there are really snobby and ignore you. I prefer pretty much any other J Crew store to the Lenox one. The Pottery Barn and Banana Republic stores at Lenox, well those are definitely nice!! 

Also, SImon is spending $1 billion on all renovations and expansions for all properties in 2013, certainly not just Lenox Square. You guys do know that they could almost tear down the mall and completely build it for that much money, probably almost enough to do it twice. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lenox-

David Yurman is closed until further notice due to maintenance issues apparently. Odd.

Also, what is going in between Pure and Neiman Marcus? There's a construction wall up but no sign of who the tenant is going to be.

Phipps-

Construction is well underway for the new Cole Haan. Opening Summer 2013.

Something is going inside the old Forever Flawless space next to Lucky Brand Jeans it appears. Either that or they're just renovating.

Construction wall is now up for Trina Turk.

Construction wall is also now up for Jack Rogers between future Cole Haan and Trina Turk.

What is going in next to Blu Couture? There is a large construction wall up but no signage on who it is going to be.

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...

J. Crew is opening a crewcuts store in the former Karen Millen space, and possibly a Wedding Collection store as well. The Lenox J Crew is very large but it's useless because the SA's there are really snobby and ignore you. I prefer pretty much any other J Crew store to the Lenox one. The Pottery Barn and Banana Republic stores at Lenox, well those are definitely nice!!

Also, SImon is spending $1 billion on all renovations and expansions for all properties in 2013, certainly not just Lenox Square. You guys do know that they could almost tear down the mall and completely build it for that much money, probably almost enough to do it twice.

Well ct36 that is very interesting, given the fact that J. Crew is in almost evey mall in the nation, and J. Crew is not in the Luxury retail category. Maybe the S.A.'s got confused and thought they were working at Lous Vuitton. Now they are snobs. I prefer the leased boutique inside Saks. Oh and Btw, I am very suprised no one has meantioned CHANEL.

Looks to be an exciting year for retail in Atlanta.

Suitsupply recently opened their largest American store at the Shops Around Lenox complex. Scotch & Soda will soon open a location there. The new owners deserve some serious kudos for revitalizing this shopping center.

Vince Camuto and UGG Australia will share the old Carol's Daughter space. Carol's Daughter will reopen someone in the back of the mall. Sprinkles will open their new concept at Lenox's main entrance in the fall. I believe Sperrys Topsider will also set up shop at Lenox Square. The Cheesecake Factory, True Foods Kitchen, and Zinburger will be restaurant components for the mall.

The old Sharper Image space at Phipps Plaza will soon house a Mephisto. Agent Provocateur is expected to open within the next week (actually April 26, according to Women's Wear Daily).

Oliver McMillan's Buckhead Atlanta project is gaining some serious momentum. Construction is in full steam. The Hermes portion of the development is taking shape quite nicely, while Parcel A (the portion with the offices) should become visible within the next few weeks. McMillan has been tight-lipped about Buckhead Atlanta's tenant roster (apparently, that is his strategy). However, a handful of tenants leaked online (the website is down, unfortunately). In addition to Oscar de la Renta, Hermes, Etro, and Brunello Cucinelli, other committed tenants include Moncler, Akris, Canali, Christian Louboutin, Thomas Pink, Scoop NYC, Shake Shack, Georgetown Cupcake, and Courage b. I also read that Alexis Bittar and Monika Chiang were looking to expand in the Atlanta market, though specific locations weren't specified (I'm guessing that it's Buckhead Atlanta) I'm excited about this project!

White Provisions in Midtown is developing into quite a nice shopping destination, probably my favorite place to shop in Atlanta. Jamestown is looking to expand the development to include 14,000 square feet of additional retail space. Among White Provision's newest tenants include Jack Spade, Kayce Hughes, and Steven Alan.

In addition, Shake Shack and Jeni's Splendid Ice Custards are rumored to be apart of Ponce City Market. So we could potential have two Shake Shacks within a year.

Here are the links.

The addition of Mephisto:

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2013/03/phipps-plaza-where-kid-can-be-kid.html

Lenox Square expansion:

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2013/03/lenox-square-news.html

Agent Provocateur opening:

http://www.wwd.com/markets-news/intimates-activewear/agenet-provocateur-to-open-doors-in-atlanta-6891072?src=search_links

Leaked Buckhead Atlanta tenants:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/1764838-metro-projects-opening-2013-2014-a-11.html#post28445959

Alexis Bittar:

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/alexis-bittar-opens-more-doors-6781500?src=search_links

Monika Chiang:

http://ny.racked.com/archives/2012/04/13/monika_chiangs_soho_store_has_arrived.php

Westside Provisions expansion:

http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/12/10/westside-provisions-district-to-add-14000-square-feet-of-retail-space/

Shake Shack and Jeni's at Ponce City Market:

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/03/15/is-shake-shack-coming-to-ponce-city-market.php

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/10/jenis-splendid-ice-creams-to-open-in-ponce-city-market.php

Edited by DAP433

That makes sense then! The Barneys space goes back pretty far where Tory Burch will be, so it will definitely be a large store. It is nice to remember how Phipps was before. It is much more upscale now. Abercrombie & Fitch was in the old Barneys space before they moved to Lenox, and I'm pretty sure I heard that A&F took up the current Barneys, Jimmy Choo, and Tory Burch stores. That was definitely one big store. They changed the style of the stores, and they moved to Lenox instead of renovating, mostly because I'm sure the mall switched them out for Lenox anyway. A&F is nice, not as nice as it used to be, but doesn't really belong across from Gucci and Tiffany's. But honestly, Phipps is pretty boring to me since it is nearly exclusive to boutiques, the only store I might shop at is Gucci and the department stores. I kind of wish Atlanta had just one big mall, like the Galleria in Houston. Basically just combine Lenox and Phipps and get rid of Belk, Legoland, etc. The only Belk store I will really shop at is Belk at SouthPark, the true 'flagship' Belk. The one at Phipps is nice for women, but the men's section sucks, but still has bad brands for a flagship.

will A&F and hollister stay after lenox is renovated?

That IS great news!

I think another great addition to Lenox would be a Gilly Hicks store. There's 16 of them nationwide, so Atlanta should have one by now-especially since Seattle and San Antonio already have one. Lenox could also use a larger Abercrombie & Fitch store. It's always very busy (usually over a 10 minute line to pay) and is probably the busiest A&F in Atlanta. Even Denver and Orlando have larger A&F's than any in Atlanta.

the A&F store at lenox is the busiest, including the hollister store there... they might stay after the mall gets renovated in 2013 (this year).

Well ct36 that is very interesting, given the fact that J. Crew is in almost evey mall in the nation, and J. Crew is not in the Luxury retail category. Maybe the S.A.'s got confused and thought they were working at Lous Vuitton. Now they are snobs. I prefer the leased boutique inside Saks. Oh and Btw, I am very suprised no one has meantioned CHANEL.

It is pretty interesting. I think a lot of the time it is the stores that are less expensive that have snobbier SA's (to an extent, but I'm not talking Prada vs. Walmart). For example, SA's at Ulta seem snobbier than Sephora, and in both Atlanta and Orlando, SA's at Bloomingdale's weren't as good as Millenia's Neiman Marcus and Phipp's Saks. I could go on. 

will A&F and hollister stay after lenox is renovated?

the A&F store at lenox is the busiest, including the hollister store there... they might stay after the mall gets renovated in 2013 (this year).

I wouldn't know. I haven't been to Atlanta in more than a year and I haven't shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch in a year as well. A&F is losing popularity and has had declining quality for years. There isn't any reason to pay what I would have to at A&F when I can get something that looks better and is better quality for not very much more from J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, etc. I also love Burberry, Zegna, and Billy Reid. I don't shop in Atlanta anymore because Charlotte has better SA's and now that I have found my own SA's there I don't want to shop with anyone else.

• 1 month later...

So according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle, Simon is revisiting old plans to construct a tower of residential units at Lenox behind Bloomingdale's. This is a tiny lot located between the mall's perimeter road and East Paces Ferry Road, and is a 2-minute walk from the MARTA station.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/06/21/simon-eyes-apartments-by-lenox-square.html?page=all

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any potential department store closings in the Atlanta area? How is Bloomingdale's at Lenox doing these days? Wonder if they will finally pull the plug on Macy's at Gwinett Place and the one in Athens? Any news would be appreciated....I have heard that Saks is scaling way back and closing lots of stores or converting them to Lord & Taylor but I would think the Atlanta store should be fine.....

• 1 month later...

So...visited Phipps last weekend...some interesting observations....Coldwater Creek and Ross Simons have both closed. They are side by side which has left a huge space upstairs next to Nordstrom. A rug store has opened in the old Coldwater Creek but looks temporary...also, a Claire's has opened in a portion vacated by Talbots Woman....could they not find anything else to go there? I would not think your average Phipps shopped would set foot in Claire's....ever....any other news to share?

• 2 months later...

Per the Atlanta Business Chronicle, Phipps is set to get a major renovation. Renderings are available...thoughts?

My thoughts are that Simon understands that both Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are facing still competition for the ultra-luxury from the soon-to-be-complete Buckhead Atlanta development. While the renovation is noteworthy, from a development point of view; what struck me as most important mentioned in the article were these three points:

Future work could include redoing the mall's entrance along Peachtree Road.

Simon also has plans to add 320 luxury residential units to Phipps.  

And, Simon wants to build a 164-room  AC by Marriott hotel next to Phipps with Noble Investment Group.

Simon Properties is also adding residential units to the larger Lenox Square. It seems to me that Simon is positioning both properties to be more than just a " high-end mall". This is a very forward thinking approach and I am glad to see Simon taking it at such important properties. I viewed the renderings. Sometimes it is hard to really know what the final product will look like. I would hope the designers will take some cues from the Mandarin Oriental or the St Regis. Both of those properties are a feast for the traditional, classy yet not so stuffy look. Considering the clientele that visit Phipps, I can't see too many patterns and loud colors being a hit. Then again that could just be my personal taste...     

If you would like to read the article, go here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/04/simon-announces-phipps-renovation-s.html  

From the Simon Properties press release regarding the Phipps Plaza upgrade:

Construction on these exciting interior renovations will commence this summer and be complete before the holiday season. The property will remain open throughout with phasing of the work to minimize customer disruption. The improvements on the inside of Phipps Plaza will also deliver energy-saving benefits. 

Several other projects are also being planned to commence in the near future.  Improvements are being contemplated to the property's prominent entrance along Peachtree Road which will include a new dramatic entrance, a dynamic streetscape filled with luxury storefronts, and new lush landscaping.  New additions to Phipps Plaza will include 320 luxury residential units and a 164-room hotel with upscale dining. More information on these projects will be forthcoming as plans are finalized.

I underlined the part that states these renovations will commence this summer. That's a plus. I put in bold a part that is of interest to me as well. Could this mean that there could be luxury store fronts lining Peachtree Road? This would go a long way in helping the pedestrian experience. Let us keep our fingers crossed.

Source: http://investors.simon.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=113968&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1918772&highlight=

• 2 weeks later...

My question is Buckhead Atlanta is opening in a little over 2 months and there haven't been many retail announcements. Is there a chance some retailers from Lenox Square will leave and switch over to BA? 

My question is Buckhead Atlanta is opening in a little over 2 months and there haven't been many retail announcements. Is there a chance some retailers from Lenox Square will leave and switch over to BA? 

The majority of the tenant roster of Buckhead Atlanta are first-to-market retailers, the developers of the project have spent years trying to entice national and international retailers to invest in the Atlanta markets. Retail occupancy stood at 75%-80% as of a few months ago according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle, so we should expect more announcements in the coming weeks. The only existing stores that are said to be relocating are L'Occitane and Jimmy Choo. 

I'm not worried about the future of Lenox/Phipps. They both are by far the strongest performing retail centers in the Southeast and given that Simon is now implementing a longterm redevelopment strategy, both malls will be able to successfully adapt to the changing climate.  

Edited by DAP433