Tallest brick building? Church?

evan d

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on whether your talking about brick facade or brick structure. A brick facade has not height limitations, you can build a 2000 ft tall building and have a brick facade if you'd like. But Monadnock Building is the tallest brick-structured building (meaning the brick walls offer the main support of the building, instead of having a steel or cement skeleton).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found a huge list of the tallest churches. Here are the top 5:

1. Munster in Ulm, Germany. 530 feet

2. Cathedral in Lincoln England. 524 feet

3. St. Olav in Tallin, Estonia. 520 feet

4. Our Lady of Peace Basilica in Yamoussoukro, Cote d'Ivoire. 518 feet

5. Dom in Cologne, Germany. 516 feet

The U.S.' tallest is only the 33rd tallest in the world. It is the Riverside Church in New York City. It is 392 feet.

The next tallest in the U.S. is St. Patrick's Cathedral (71 tallest in world) in New York City, it is 339.

when i went to the empire state building observation deck and walked down from the 86th floor to 80th floor to get the elevator to the lobby i noticed brick walls lining the stairwells. obviously these werent structural walls but they definately were brick.

Yeah, the brick theme continues all the way down the stairwells. Don't ask why, but I once walked from the 73rd floor to the street. Here's a pic from somewhere in the 50s.

103536621.jpg

Archived