Hampton Roads/ Richmond Metropolitan area?

vdogg

I think the point that should be made about MSA's and how they grow and combine is a matter of economics. Economic ties between Richmond and DC are far more intertwined than those between Richmond and the Norfolk region. When someone lives in Hampton, Williamsburg, or most of the Peninsula, they are pulled to shop, dine, and spend most money in the Norfolk metropolitan area. When you look at some of the major businesses that comprise the economy of this area, they are in areas of defense, technology, and research for the military presence of the Hampton Roads area.

Richmond's economy is based on Finance, Insurance, and Manufacturing because it is the state capitol and a central transportation hub. Several aspects of these industries bind them to the Washington DC metro. Many employees in my office take the train down from DC to do work in the office here. I am not aware of many Richmonders who need to make trips to the Norfolk MSA for business.

I think these two metros will always be separate entities, with Williamsburg being the border between them. However, as sprawl continues the metros will touch with a continuous line of development, but like Philly MSA, Baltimore MSA, New York, and Boston, they are still considered their own metro areas because their economies provide different functions. Hopefully transportation improvements between Norfolk and Richmond can give both MSA's a more integrated economy and benefit both areas. If high speed rail came in, defense contractors could more easily set up shop in Richmond and Insurance companies in Norfolk. Diversifying the economy for both areas would be the greatest benefit. :yahoo:

You are wrong on some things. Richmonders come down to the HR alot to spend. And alot of people in NN, Williamsburg and Hampton come out here to spend money. So people between Richmond and Norfolk are split. Richmond and DC people do go up there to spend from Richmond but everyone around DC go up there to spend even Norfolkans.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived