• Created
  • Last Reply

Today:

1. UConn

2. Duke

3. Memphis

4. Texas

5. Florida

I believe TN is the only ranked team Florida has played this year. I'm surprised they only dropped to no. 5.

Duke loses to Georgetown. UConn loses to Marquette. Texas loses to Tennessee and Duke. Florida loses to Tennessee. Meanwhile, Memphis beats Tennessee, loses to Duke and Texas. At least that explains why Memphis is above Florida and below Duke (although Duke's loss is worse than either of Memphis'). I guess you gotta give everyone "one" loss. If Memphis only had one loss would it have been #1?

Chalk up another victory... Miss St is weak right now, but it was a very impressive road win.

Tennessee, which is #20 according to ESPN this week, beat Miss St 88-65 in Starksville before a crowd that was chanting "Tennessee is a fluke" before the game... Tennessee never trailed in the game and now finds itself 13-3.

Because of Florida's loss last night to South Carolina Tennessee is now in first place in the SEC East.

• 2 weeks later...

Tennessee is now 16-3 (7-1 SEC east)... 14th this week in the ESPN USA Today Coaches poll, and 11th in this weeks AP poll and 4th in the RPI dated 2-2-06 just behind Duke, Memphis and Villanova.

Tennessee's next chllange is Kentucky who has already dropped some at Rupp this year including 2 in a row against Vandy and Alabama... It looks like a good chance for Tennessee to take advantage. Game time is 7 PM tonight at Rupp... Go Vols

It doesnt matter how weak a team might be, Rupp is an awful place to have to go and play...

Kentucky looks like they are playing better as of late. They did lose to Florida in Gainville, but it took a very good proformance from the Florida players and Kentucky always plays strong against Tennessee. don't get me wrong, I think that this is a very good chance for Tennessee to break the 8 game losing streak to Kentucky. I am sure that Lofton will be ready. I just hope that all of the players will be ready. Maybe Bruce can wear a Brown Suit. He has already worn the Orange Jacket, why not?

I read in the Chattanooga paper a few days ago that Tennessee's RPI is at Number 4 in the nation, and considerably higher than any other SEC team. The RPI is the rating system that the NCAA uses to help them seed teams into the NCAA Tournament. That means if the season ended today, the Vols could very well be a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament!!!

For Hankster, here is the address to the RPI: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/rpi1.html

Yes Tennessee is 4th in the RPI, but I would guess that they would be at a 2-3 seed at the moment. There are politics and hsitory tied into the seedings too. I am hoping that Tennessee can keep it up through a tough portion of their season. With the number of road games, the back half of the conference is harder. Tennessee is at Georgia. Georgia is playing better of late, home against a not so good Auburn. (All the teams Tennessee will play will have a better inside game than Tennessee has, since Tennessee really only plays four Guards and a center.) At Alabama, at Florida (These are two of the toughest teams in the league and Florida is the hardest place to go into in the league and Florida will want this one to tie for the East.) Arkansas, ditto on the Georgia note, Kentucky again and Kentucky will really want this one. At Vandy, the most difficult place to coach at and disconcerting for players on the floor. There will be enough fans to make it feel like a home game, though.

Bracketology.com has Tennessee as a no. 3 seed, with Memphis, Texas, Duke, and UConn as the no. 1 seeds.

The way the Vols are playing right now, that seed may be a bit low. Of course, the picture will be a lot clearer after the conference tournaments have been completed.

The Vols knocked off the Bulldogs tonight 83-78... It wasn't the prettiest 2nd half ever, but a win is a win I guess. It was an away game win again a pretty good team, so take that for what it's worth. The Vols just keep moving on, one step at a time... 18-3 over all and 9-1 in the SEC now.

Chris Lofton lit it up again tonight as well... After his 31 point game at Kentucky the other night that included 7 3 pointers he turned around and scored 33 more tonight including a Tennessee record breaking 9 3 pointers... The record broken was Allen Houston's 8 3 pointer he made in 1989

Next up for the Vols... The Auburn Tigers come to Knoxville on Wednesday night... Auburn is tThe weakest team in the SEC West, but also a team that could cause the Vols some trouble inside.

Go Vols

I'm certain that NO ONE here, myself included would have thought that the VOLS would be in first place in both the East and Overall in the SEC in Mid February. I have to say that Bruce Pearl has done wonders and should get the Coach of the Year, not just for the SEC, but for the Nation. Things are looking very bright for the future. Tennessee has a great recruiting class and as the High School players see the style of play, more will want to come here.

Well all good things must come to an end, after a great 8 game run the Vols finally dropped a SEC game... Alabama handed the Vols a 92-79 loss at Alabama Saturday evening. Currently the Vols still find themselves in the SEC East lead and room to actually loose one more without giving up that lead... Next up is the hardest challange they will face, Florida at Florida this Wednesday night. Go Vols!

What a game. Both teams played hard and very physical...did the refs call anything? The Noah kid from Florida is a player...although he has a glass jaw :) anyway I am glad we got back our momentum for the final few games.

GO VOLS

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems that a big surprise smacked Tennessee in the face Sunday evening when the Vols were selected as a #2 Seed going into the big dance, which is their highest seed ever in the program. Is anyone else as surprised as me?? I mean they were good this year, but they are also small and when the match up isn

Well it seems that a big surprise smacked Tennessee in the face Sunday evening when the Vols were selected as a #2 Seed going into the big dance, which is their highest seed ever in the program. Is anyone else as surprised as me?? I mean they were good this year, but they are also small and when the match up isn

Archived