Responses when you say you are from Charlotte

voyager12

Mine: Its so clean and sterile. You live there,I thought it was just a nice airport and not much else?. You must love being so close to Asheville and Charleston so you can get away. Is Uptown downtown? Are Rock Hill and Fort Mill part of the city of Charlotte? What are some of yours?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow voyager, it sounds like you run into a fair share of jerks. Mine are usually positive like "I've heard it's really pretty down there." or "I have a (sister, friend, etc.) who just moved down there, she says it's nice.". The ones that I love are the ones where someone says "I have a (brother-in-law, cousin, etc.) in Raleigh, maybe you know him, his name is ..." :blink:

Well, the annoying ones of course come to mind first but thinking back I have gotten some good feedback. Some people have said its very pretty and friendly and they read and hear that "everyone is moving there". Also have gotten a lot of a "small less stressful Atlanta".

Mostly, I have gotten knowledgeable responses, from people who either know a decent minimum about the city. Although, some of my older relatives have barely left the state they are living in, with the possible exception of going to fight a war. Those people don't really know about Charlotte, but also don't even care to know, so I don't really get much more than a "oh, that's nice".

In business circles, many people I have worked with knew about Charlotte, because they had done work with one of the big corporations here. However, I did have a lady I was working with in Dallas say "oh, Charlotte, that is a very pretty city", and when I asked further, she remarked about the old buildings :).

What I find most telling, however, is when people who know the city consider it either really big or really small. I find the people in the Carolinas often think of it as someplace that is huge (usually in the context of being too large). Elsewhere in the country, people refer to it as though it is small.

What I find most telling, however, is when people who know the city consider it either really big or really small. I find the people in the Carolinas often think of it as someplace that is huge (usually in the context of being too large). Elsewhere in the country, people refer to it as though it is small.

This is true, especially after I left Charlotte to come to Greensboro, a lot of people think Charlotte is more massive than i feel it is.

I'm from Columbia and I used to think Charlotte was huge...Like almost Atlanta, I know it isn't now. lol. Going to school in Rock Hill last year living so close I realized it really isn't large...It isn't too big or too small. But compared to the rest of N. and S. Carolina I guess its massive lol

I get three decidedly different responses depending on where the person is from:

South East: "Charlotte is so cool, I've heard that it's like Atlanta but better. My brother/sister/cousin just moved there and loves it. I'm thinking about moving there too. Plus it's soo clean!"

Elsewhere: "Um yeah, I've heard of it (flown through it). Where is it again?"

And finally there's all my NYC friends: "Why?"

Haha I have noticed that too. Alot of the students here use to move back to the DC area but now it seems they all want to move to Charlotte. If a bunch of college students want to move to Charlotte over DC, the city obviously cant lack as much of the "cool" factor as the studies say we do.

I'm in England right now for the semester, and when I tell people I'm from Charlotte they have no idea what it is, and when I tell people that I'm from North Carolina they don't know where it is, and then I just say East Coast, and they know. But they know what Bank of America is, so thats a good sign...i guess. <_<

I was in a store in NY a few years ago and was paying with a credit card. The sales girl asked me for my license and must've just glanced at my address and saw 'Charlotte' and nothing else (there's some fraud security for you). She asked me how I liked it 'down there in Virginia'. I said, "Um, I dunno, but North Carolina is really nice."

They don't know where North Carolina is? Who are you talking to over there, chimney sweeps?

Tell them a bunch of hillbillies from North Carolina beat the tar out of General Cornwallis. ;)

Haha, will do. These are mostly students I'm talking to and it's amazing how little a lot of them know about basic geography of the states. It seems as if chimney sweeps and the students are on par over here, but the students get their sooty lungs from incessant cigarette smoking.

Are you kidding? I want to look up the address of "Rondella" or whatever her name is!

Haha. Yeah I was really happy to see that she's from Charlotte. :wacko:

On the radio this morning they were listing out all the things on her police record. It's quite a bit, including assault with a knife and several driving while impaired.

Well I am an ex-pat Charlottean living in Raleigh, and whenever I mention being from Charlotte all I get from people in Raleigh is negative vibes--that it's a conservative banker town or alternatively that there's a bunch of NASCAR rednecks there or even more often some one-up comment about how Raleigh/Wake County is ranked higher on this or that chart and also how in 20 years Raleigh will be the biggest urban area etc. The funny thing is when I mention to people in Charlotte that I live in Raleigh they are always excited and say how neat it must be to live here with all the museums, universities, etc and they say positive things like I hear that area's really growing or really progressive. I don't know--I think it must be a rivalry thing.

Archived