Responses when you say you are from Charlotte

voyager12

There is a rivalry between the two. It can get annoying after awhile. I think there are great reasons for living in either area. The relative distance between the two regions does not help. Charlotte really does feel completely ignored by Raleigh in regards to state funding for roads, crime, etc. Raleigh has an inferiority complex regarding Charlotte's large growth rate. Charlotte has an inferiority complex towards the Triangle because we lack the large scale and top ranked cultural educational progressive component. Its never going to change.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of American Idol, I was at a bar in Toronto and the bar tenders wife asked me where I was from. I told here I was from Charlotte, and she replied "Ohh, That's where Clay Akien is from right?" I laughed. Another repsones from a girl I met in Sydney was"Oh yeah the Charlotte Hornets" which really suprised me that she would know that.

I moved to Charlotte. Almost.

In SEptember 2005 I spent two weeks in Charlotte with my wife (looking for homes - we picked Charlotte after 6 months of researches and out of 16 cities). With our real estate guy we finally found the home we liked, a new construction in Hamilton Lakes.

Too bad that we got screwed by the builder (the home, the day after we gave our deposit and went picking the options) came up 45,000 dollars more expensice than the price thy gave us the day before (!!). Of course we backed off, and the builder headquarters in California (this was KB Homes) really did nothing to solve the problem.

It was a huge disappointment as we liked the home and the area; my wife was upset for a month when we came back to West Palm Beach, Florida, where we live.

Now we are still thinking about moving and in doubt between Charlotte and Baltimore (I never went to Baltimore but I like the location close to DC, New York and the North-East, which is the area I wanted to go when we came here from Italy back in 1998).

I liked Charlotte. My wife loved it even more. It's not the mess South Florida is, there's not much crime (again, I am comparing now) and the city is growing, offering a city feel (which I love) together with a more laid back "country" style attitude (which my wife loves).

The first thing that hit me is that 10 minutes from downtown only and you are like in the country; okay, not 10 minutes, but twenty. It's not like here where from Miami to Port St. Lucie you have 120 miles of continuous cities (and in fact, it's impossible to tell, if not for the signs, where a city ends and the next one begins).

I also like the idea of having the 4 seasons, like I have been used to for almost all my life in Northern Italy; most of Americans come to Florida for the weather, which is the thing I hate most of Florida, as it is always hot and humid, except for maybe 6 good weeks in winter.

It was funny too, as we went around many days with a local real estate agent, Fred, great guy. He was showing us the area south of Charlotte, like Union County, which to me was like a vast green area of fields, as rural as I ever saw. We wnet through Waxhaw, Indian Trails and he kept saying " here ten years ago there was nothing" and I was looking out from the car and I was actually seeing ...nothing. It's funny how people, based on personal experience and background can look at the same thing and come up with two complete opposite conclusions.

Nice city, still considering a move there; above all, you can get a new home around 2500 sq ft for the price of my 1500 sq ft apartment here in West Palm Beach, even with a little yard (that I never had in my life).

It' a small city, but there's plenty of things, shopping and restaurants are everywheer, so you don't feel in the country; I have to say restaurants of decent qualities tend to be a bit pricey, but I believe that's due to lack of strong competition, which will come soon as the city is still growing. However, the pulled pork BBQ all-you-can-eat for 6 bucks was an amazing experience...

Now that I typed all this stuff I am noticing that the forum title is "responses when you say you are from Charlotte" so I am probably off topic...better stop here then.

I'm in college...and when I tell people I'm from Charlotte, the responses are:

"...in North Carolina? OHHH!!! Ok!" as if there is another major US city named Charlotte

"oh...South Carolina." no comment on that one.

"Is it real country there?" This is why I never say North Carolina...b/c most perceive the entire state as one big hog farm.

"Oh ok...I have family there." A very common response.

"I've transferred flights in Charlotte...very nice airport" or "I've driven through Charlotte"

I'm a bit different - I grew up in Rock Hill & moved out near the time it started developing as more of a suburb. But when I describe where I'm from, since living in Atlanta, most are not familiar with Rock Hill, unless they know someone who attends Winthrop (which is surprisingly common), so I don't merely state "I am from Rock Hill SC". I will first acknowledge that I'm from a town in SC & if that isn't sufficient I will say it is near Charlotte.

That's where the confusion takes place - because I said I'm from SC & near Charlotte - they assume Charlotte is in SC. I can't believe how often that occurs. Otherwise most people's image of Charlotte is based on PTL - but little else.

On the other hand, for those that are familiar with Charlotte - which does make up a large percentage - they typically have positive things to say. THat it is clean, attractive & of course has a good economy.

That's where the confusion takes place - because I said I'm from SC & near Charlotte - they assume Charlotte is in SC. I can't believe how often that occurs.

Actually, I get the opposite at times. My friend in LA will often ask me how are things going in NC; he knows that Charlotte is in NC but associates Rock Hill with NC as well because it's so close. But it really shouldn't be so surprising that people often confuse Charlotte for being in SC, as they do with most Carolina cities--heck, it's right on the border. But most people don't know squat about geography anyway.

• 3 years later...
I'm in college...and when I tell people I'm from Charlotte, the responses are:

"...in North Carolina? OHHH!!! Ok!" as if there is another major US city named Charlotte

"oh...South Carolina." no comment on that one.

"Is it real country there?" This is why I never say North Carolina...b/c most perceive the entire state as one big hog farm.

"Oh ok...I have family there." A very common response.

"I've transferred flights in Charlotte...very nice airport" or "I've driven through Charlotte"

If people don't know what state a city is located in, I find it as a non-issue. I never heard of Illinois until a few years ago. I always thought Chicago was in New England. Everytime I mention Charlotte to another American, I always hear the "I hear a lot of nice things about Charlotte. I know quite a few people going to Charlotte to find jobs there."

I always feel bad that people of Charlotte feel so strongly what other Americans think. But I would imagine people from other cities feel the same way. Here's what I think of a few other American cities ( I am way better at European geography and knowledge. :whistling: )

Minneapolis - Northwest airlines. Airport with flights to Amsterdam. It's in Minnesota I think.

Detroit - Cars. crime. bailouts. Bad economy. Northwest airlines flies to tokyo from there. I think it's in Wisconson or Michigan.

Seattle - It's on the ocean. It has Boeing. I always refer to Seattle as "Seattle Washington." Never just Seattle.

Portland - I assume it has a port. I never call it Portland, I call it "Portland, Oregon."

San Antonio - a nice, very walkable city that is home to the Alamo and has many neat little attractions and stores in it's center city district and has the riverwalk. It's in Texas.

New Orleans - French quater, very walkable, the riverwalk mall is very nice. It has a famous song saying the cities name. I know it's in Lousiana but it took me forever to learn. There is a lot to find easily with lots of haunted stuff and mind readers.

And as far as foriegners go. I would never expect any European to know Charlotte ever. Just as I would never expect any American to know M

A few weeks ago a co-worker asked me what it was like to be from the country... I told her we I was married to my sister, tipped cattle on the weekends, regularly used spittoons, had an outhouse out back, rode john deere tractors to school, learned creationism in science class, and wore camouflage whenever it was not neccessary. As far as normal educated people go, most people get the Carolinas Confused, but at least know of Charlotte.

Yeah many people in Seattle associate Charlotte as being"country"........and of course they also think it's located in S.C.

I think it's more an issue of Americans' ignorance of geography, than Charlotte's prestige and fame. Those same people probably couldn't find N.C. on a map.

I think a lot of people assume North Carolina = rural. So, if they haven't seen it first hand, they would then make the assumption that NC Cities = rural towns.

It's ignorant to think that everything is just one way though. If this was true, than Chicago would have cornfields all in it. And Upstate New York would be dense city all the way to the Canadian border.

Good morning. I almost always have good feedback when I inform people that I am from Charlotte. I speak by phone with people (business) all over the country, and some international. I never follow Charlotte with "NC" unless prompted and most people are very aware of where it is. The most popular responses I get are: 1. It's so nice there. 2. I have a friend/relatives that lives in so-n-so there. 3. You're so close to the beach and mountains. 4. That place has grown so much since I was there last. 5. How's the housing/job market been in that area. Now, I have lived in Charlotte since '85 and have watched it grow and feel proud of my hometown, and really don't mind what anyone thinks to begin with. I figure if they don't know or think we are this or that, then just visit and make up your own mind. Just my 2cents.

I think a lot of people assume North Carolina = rural. So, if they haven't seen it first hand, they would then make the assumption that NC Cities = rural towns.

Rural is all relative. When I would fly home to Charlotte to see my family while living in Chicago a few years back, it would appear that I was traveling through a very small city in comparison to what I was used to. Having been back in Charlotte for a few years now, it certainly 'seems' more urban than it really is. Likewise there was a big difference when traveling between Chicago and NYC for business.

This is an obvious point, but one we forget after living in a city for a while. We're a little farm town to those that live in Tokyo. :silly:

Archived