"Red Ball Jet" Cafe

GRDadof3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to see pay-phones making a comeback (see side of building) :D

I'm not saying this is a bad project but I think the design has shifted. These support letters are pretty old (Sept-Oct. 05) and from what I heard, they were pre-rooftop design. We'll see.

Steve

I'm not saying this is a bad project but I think the design has shifted. These support letters are pretty old (Sept-Oct. 05) and from what I heard, they were pre-rooftop design. We'll see.

Steve

The 2nd letter mentions they like the idea of "Outdoor Seating".. which I thought was the roof... :huh:

And Bono's isn't there any more (RIP Bono's.) and has been replaced with a pretty cool new bar with good, affordable food. The guys that bought the place have done a TON of remodel work and it looks amazing. Unfortunately it's a name i can't ever remember. Starts with an S.

That neighborhood has made an amazing change over the past year or so!

And Bono's isn't there any more (RIP Bono's.) and has been replaced with a pretty cool new bar with good, affordable food. The guys that bought the place have done a TON of remodel work and it looks amazing. Unfortunately it's a name i can't ever remember. Starts with an S.

That neighborhood has made an amazing change over the past year or so!

The bar is called Sazaracs (sp) I think

Here's what is on the Planning Commission Agenda on the 26th

d) 2:00 p.m. 1431 Plainfield Ave., NE

I would think there are some things that Greg and Design+ can do to help with sound absorption, like the added shrubbery that they show in the watercolor drawing. And maybe paying attention to what kind of material they put down on the roof might help with "echoing" too :dontknow: It's a very cool addition if they can come up with a compromise.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So the last time we talked about this was January. Since then, there's been a Visser Brothers sign put up on the window, but that's it. I was hoping it would be open by now. Anyone know why there's such a delay?

Here, I'll answer my own question courtesy of the Press. =) Maybe they saw my question and did some reporting? (Do you think we're that important? - I do feel Chris Knape's blog sometimes talks about things we first discussed here (Heartside Park, for example))

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

I imagine he does...I'm sure that every media organization has someone at least occasionally checking U.P.

I used to pull things out of here on a regular basis. Not so much anymore, I only check the site once every few weeks now. That whole discussion about how awesome MiBiz is kind of ruined U.P. for me.

I have volunteered some time with the Creston Neighborhood Assoc. where this project is a constant source of frustration. As a resident, my personal opinion is that Gilmore has been incredibly disingenious (spellcheck?) with this whole thing. I don't buy the bad economy excuse, it's not any worse than it was four years ago. The only one that makes sense is, "Oops, I've been ignoring that holding for so long that Sazeracs, Graydon's Crossings and this other little pizza place opened up. Now I don't know if my plan will work."

I think this is worse than the whole Icon On Bond thing. It's a slap in the face to keep watching dates come and go ("Open in late June? Ha").

There is a whole neighborhood that wants to see something there, and I'm certain that someone would step up and do it if Gilmore wasn't sitting on it.

I imagine he does...I'm sure that every media organization has someone at least occasionally checking U.P.

I used to pull things out of here on a regular basis. Not so much anymore, I only check the site once every few weeks now. That whole discussion about how awesome MiBiz is kind of ruined U.P. for me......

As a huge GRBJ fan, my feelings are hurt to hear you say how opinions from a few, ruined UP for you.....

Come back DSchoon, come back....

When the city sells a building like this, they should take the "deposit" (or whatever they call it) the developer made if they don't do what they say. Gilmore does good things for the city, but I think this development should be judged on its own and it seems like the city is a little too forgiving in this situation.

I used to pull things out of here on a regular basis. Not so much anymore, I only check the site once every few weeks now. That whole discussion about how awesome MiBiz is kind of ruined U.P. for me.

I have volunteered some time with the Creston Neighborhood Assoc. where this project is a constant source of frustration. As a resident, my personal opinion is that Gilmore has been incredibly disingenious (spellcheck?) with this whole thing. I don't buy the bad economy excuse, it's not any worse than it was four years ago. The only one that makes sense is, "Oops, I've been ignoring that holding for so long that Sazeracs, Graydon's Crossings and this other little pizza place opened up. Now I don't know if my plan will work."

I think this is worse than the whole Icon On Bond thing. It's a slap in the face to keep watching dates come and go ("Open in late June? Ha").

There is a whole neighborhood that wants to see something there, and I'm certain that someone would step up and do it if Gilmore wasn't sitting on it.

When the city sells a building like this, they should take the "deposit" (or whatever they call it) the developer made if they don't do what they say. Gilmore does good things for the city, but I think this development should be judged on its own and it seems like the city is a little too forgiving in this situation.

Performance bond, mentioned herein:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

He does do good things and I love all his restaurants, but this does seem a bit rediculous. The problem is, even if he puts it on the market and sells it for $95k, you're looking at a wait. It will take a while to sell it, then plan it, then renovate it, then open. And even then you have around a 60% chance that the place will fail (according to an Ohio State study).

I think Greg has just gotten to the point where he's not going to open something that fails, which is why there has been so many delays. He has to be positive its going to work.

Would the neighborhood really rather have him sell it to anyone looking to open up another coffee shop only to run it into the ground?

I don't think most in the neighborhood are looking to have him sell it to just anyone looking to open up a coffee shop. I'm not even sure that the "coffee shop" is an essential ingredient to neighbors. I think the neighbors are tired of putting their faith in a project that has failed to meet numerous deadlines and lacks focus. With the other positive developments going on in the area, I think the neighborhood is eager to get this centerpiece property back into useful circulation. The comments I hear from neighbors have little to do with another coffee house and more to do with a good "public use," respecting the integrity of the existing structure and its unique siting in the neighborhood, and acting in good faith.

I think the neighborhood is looking to open up options, not stay with the status quo which hasn't produced anything to date. Just because the current owner has a portfolio of nice restaurants is no guarantee that something is going to happen here any day soon. We need to get more ideas and options on the table. Unfortunately, this is hard to do with the building tied up in private ownership.

The City has been more than gracious in not executing the performance bond. The problem is that the performance bond in itself is not a good enough tool to get this project off the dime.

It seems to me that the real crux of the problem is that this building is a bad fit for the type of projects Mr. Gilmore features. He acknowledges that the numbers are upside down. But just because they are upside down for his approach doesn't mean that this building is not financially viable... especially at a purchase price of less than $100k.

It's time to open this process up to see what other kinds of ideas might be out there. Unfortunately, with the property now in the private ownership, it's very difficult for the City or anyone else to leverage some action. The best the neighborhood can do is hope that Mr. Gilmore can be as gracious with the neighborhood and the City as they have been with him. The right thing to do would be to either quickly develop the property as originally proposed and live within the margin it allows, or work with the City and the neighborhood to find an appropriate buyer who has an immediate vision for this important property.

Archived