"Red Ball Jet" Cafe

GRDadof3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome siler! In the article yesterday, he had this to say:

In those two weeks, Gilmore said Tuesday, he hopes to begin renovating the former Creston Library Branch he has owned for three years even though he has not firmed up his plans for the neighborhood landmark.

"At that time, I hope to have some more information," he said. If he decides not to convert it to a restaurant, Gilmore indicated he may sell the property for $95,000.

"We are committed to bringing a quality project to the neighborhood one way or another," he said. "Whether it's us or somebody else, we want to be good stewards of a great historic building."

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

Let's hope he sticks to his word.

I just heard through the grapevine that the City of GR just received a building permit to "white box" this building for "office use." Thoughts anyone?

Those kooky lovable developers! :rolleyes:

If he cannot fill the original vision for this place, then have the decency to sell the building to someone who will make a go at it the way everyone wanted to from the start. Dont just turn it into some deadpan office behind everyones back.

I just heard through the grapevine that the City of GR just received a building permit to "white box" this building for "office use." Thoughts anyone?

I think it would be very disappointing Siler just to be another office building. What is the old saying? "S**t or get off the pot!" A vibrant night spot with rooftop patio would encourage more development IMO. Reuse as an office would just provide status quo.

CORRECTION - I was misinformed earlier when I was told the permit was for "office use." The current plan is for a more generic rehab of the building (upgrade electric, HVAC, flooring, install barrier free restrooms, maintain exterior) , prepping it for "cafe, bakery or coffee shop" type use. Workers were onsite yesterday.

The community meeting with neighbors went exceptionally well, and it sounds like the original (pre-rooftop) plans are back on track with options. There are some details yet to be worked out ...hence the "white box" activity being prioritized.

It is likely the commission will extend the performance bond deadline to March 2007. Rehab must be completed and the business must be open by that date.

Related, the neighborhood association has received some good bids for charrette activity to be completed this fall for streetscape along this section of Plainfield. Now if we can get Judge Passenger to deal firmly with the owner of the burned out building four doors to the north...

It is likely the commission will extend the performance bond deadline to March 2007. Rehab must be completed and the business must be open by that date.

Isn't that what they said before (I'm seriously asking that, I have no idea)? Is there a clause written into the extension that the performance bond deadline will not be extended?

Isn't that what they said before (I'm seriously asking that, I have no idea)? Is there a clause written into the extension that the performance bond deadline will not be extended?

I think it has been made quite clear that the bond will not be extended again. The bond will also likely be increased 50% to $30k.

Already one commissioner was ready to call in the chips and voted "nay" to tabling this issue.

But if the City calls in the bond, all that really does is pinch Mr. Gilmore's premium for such services. It still doesn't get this project done, and it removes any leverage the public has. I think the City has learned a lot from this experience about the relative utility of their past approach in disposing of properties.

What means this "white box"?

[grad of the We Love Theory planning school; unfamiliar with the term]

Usually it means drywall to prime (pre paint), rough in services (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.), and then left for the end user to do interior finishes (fixtures, cabinets, counters, paint, trim, flooring, etc.).

In addition to commercial projects, some condo project are sold that way. I think Front Row Condos above the new Grand Central Market on Monroe Center had many of them sold at white box.

haha ^ what Siler said.

• 2 months later...

There's an article in today's GR Press "Gilmore nixes eatery in library." The article basically says Greg Gilmore is looking for a tenant or partner to open a coffee shop or bakery operation in the building. They haven't posted a link yet on mlive, otherwise I'd provide y'all with a linky.

Archived