Big City Troy

wolverine

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...3/BIZ/601230356

So basically Troy wants to increase the automobile capacity and make the stretch more pedestrian friendly. They want to model themselves after the strip in Vegas, or dare I say... Michigan Ave in Chicago! Troy!! Oh my, what are those urban planners smoking?

I can see some of the developments coming, but their plans for an urban atmosphere are going to die in a hurry. None of what they want is even feasible, not in a hundred years.

Oh, and there is some pretty hurtfull quotes in there. As I said, this article is ludicrous.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article is a joke. Troy is a joke. Brooks Patterson is a joke. Man do I hate the suburbs and the ignorant people who run and live in them. The second, and I do mean the second, im done with college im packing for bags for Detroit. You know, a city with a real downtown and a real urban feel.

Eh........

"It's a total package"!?!?!?!?! :huh::blink::wacko:

Uhm.....

"Downtown Southeast Michigan"?!?!?!?!!?

:rofl:

[edit] I must say though... It's sort of cool that people in Troy would want "big city feeling" though. If true, there's hope for reverse migration into Detroit by those people as Detroit improves.

I was in lecture when I first read this. It was hard to contain myself. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a very long time.

I'd like to see someone actually try walking the 3 miles from the Troy "town center" to the Kmart Headquarters redevelopment.

The only thing that Troy has that is walkable is Somerset Mall.. Which is a structure that I do somewhat appreciate, no hate for that.

Right now I'm reading Le Corbusier's: Toward a New Architecture. That guy would have a feild day in Troy if he were alive today. Wide Avenues with tall towes set far back from the road. Retail spaces linked by bridges going over the road. Holy crap, Troy's met all those characteristics.

Yes, malls are always walkable. In fact, they are the most walkable institutions in existence since they don't require you to cross automobile traffic to get from one store to another. The sad thing is, all the energy is on the inside, leaving a cold, a bland exterior for the world ( or 'downtown Troy') to look at from the outside.

Many things in the article rubbed me wrong.

A little background on me....I grew up in Troy....lived there the majority of my life, then moved to FL after college.

1....the old man that is against the plan: He moved to Troy to escape "urban" Royla Oak 30 years ago....now seems jaded that 70,000 people followed him....what a bunch of crap.....people are so self-absorbed.

2...Anything to diversify the SE Michigan economy is good. If Troy can become a banking center, or bring in other industry that is not connected to the auto industry, this is a good thing.

3...SE Michigan does not have the amenities of many other metropolitan areas, and will not attract non-auto business without these amenities.

Finally....the rest of the country is out of recession...this can not be said for Metro Detroit, where unemployment is still high, and the economy is still depressed......it is FAR past time to try something new......something that has not been done before.......

Agreed. But, that something is not trying to make Troy "Downtown Southeast Michigan." And, I don't think that everywhere but Detroit is out of an economic recession. Most of the country may, but Detroit's not the only major area still within it. That may be a bit of an exaggeration. It may be the worst, but not the only.

Downtown Troy will not solve the problems this area has. A revitalized downtown Detroit might.

A revitalized Detroit is just a dream with the current leadership in the area, and the inability to see ways to make Detroit a real business hub once again.

Tourism is alwasy one way to attract good money to the area, but Detroit will never be a tourist destination until it can become a destination for locals.

Downtown does not need to be Manhatten, or Chicago, or Toronto.....it needs to find its own identity....other than what it is right now.....and this will take unique ideas, and a lot of money.....both of which are lacking from the builders and leaders in SE Michigan.

A revitalized Detroit is just a dream with the current leadership in the area, and the inability to see ways to make Detroit a real business hub once again.

Tourism is alwasy one way to attract good money to the area, but Detroit will never be a tourist destination until it can become a destination for locals.

Downtown does not need to be Manhatten, or Chicago, or Toronto.....it needs to find its own identity....other than what it is right now.....and this will take unique ideas, and a lot of money.....both of which are lacking from the builders and leaders in SE Michigan.

I agree. Detroit needs to work on marketing its tourist-friendly areas to the suburbs. I think there is more lack of awareness than there is lack of actual tourist destinations within the city right now. The Cultural Center, Downtown, Mexicantown, Belle Isle, and pretty soon the Riverfront are good places for tourists from the suburbs to go if they knew about them, where to go, or even began considering going to the city for things outside of major sports events. Hopefully the Superbowl will shift many suburban tourists' impressions towards returning downtown on weekends. Their money can further support more restaurant rows that will attract tourists from a few hours drive away.

I agree. Detroit needs to work on marketing its tourist-friendly areas to the suburbs. I think there is more lack of awareness than there is lack of actual tourist destinations within the city right now. The Cultural Center, Downtown, Mexicantown, Belle Isle, and pretty soon the Riverfront are good places for tourists from the suburbs to go if they knew about them, where to go, or even began considering going to the city for things outside of major sports events. Hopefully the Superbowl will shift many suburban tourists' impressions towards returning downtown on weekends. Their money can further support more restaurant rows that will attract tourists from a few hours drive away.

An while these areas are great for the suburban tourists, they will not attract tourists from out of the area......but if these areas could become popular will the suburbans....they could attract attractions or investment that could draw people from out of the area.

Archived