Transportation

tombarnes

The progress of the development of the Coast as a tourist destination will be greatly tied to its air service. I think they are on the right track with the airport. it was a mess the last time I flew in there. I'm loooking forward to seeing the completed terminal soon.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interstate 14

Here's a link with information about the project. I have really heard very little about this. I assume that it will go forward, as much as this administration is eanamored with the automobile. Frankly, I'd be happier to see more passenger trains and airlines going through. I'm sure, however, that this will be a boon to Natchez, Brookhaven, Waynesboro and Laurel.

Interstate Guide

I think the proposed route would be a waste of state resources. The feds would pay for most of it, but it would still be a huge expense for the state. Highway 84 is already four laned and has little traffic on it. Highway 49 really needs to be upgraded to an Interstate before another east-west interstate is constructed across the state. I think even the proposed interstate where Highway 72 would be a better use of funds as well.

I think the proposed route would be a waste of state resources. The feds would pay for most of it, but it would still be a huge expense for the state. Highway 84 is already four laned and has little traffic on it. Highway 49 really needs to be upgraded to an Interstate before another east-west interstate is constructed across the state. I think even the proposed interstate where Highway 72 would be a better use of funds as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First Phase of Biloxi-Ocean Springs Bridge to Open in November

The long awaited first phase of the new bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs is slated to open on the 1st of November if all goes according to plan. All six lanes and a pedestrian walkway should be completed by April of 2008. This will be a major step forward in the recovery of the area.

The Sun Herald

First Phase of Biloxi-Ocean Springs Bridge to Open in November

The long awaited first phase of the new bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs is slated to open on the 1st of November if all goes according to plan. All six lanes and a pedestrian walkway should be completed by April of 2008. This will be a major step forward in the recovery of the area.

The Sun Herald

• 4 weeks later...

The GPT-ORD service is interesting, but not too surprising because the Gulf Coast has traditionally drawn considerably from the Chicago market. I expect that the flight might do very well. As for USAirways, I'd think they might be entering the market fairly soon.

Good work! You beat me to it! Skybus will start flying into GPT on December 20th. Another intereresting note in the article is that Direct Air will also begin flights as well, though I am not yet sure about where their service will be going. THey are based in Myrtle Beach.

The Sun Herald

• 3 weeks later...

GPT Expansion on Schedule

The expansion of the main terminal at the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport schould be finished this month. A new control tower will be built next year, as will a three story parking deck. The hope is that new carriers will follow, but it's essential that the potential of the existing carriers should be met before too many new carriers are introduced to a fledgling market. There is much room for growth, and the new expansion provides an adequate framework. I'd like to see new airlines introduced with deliberate care.

The Sun-Herald

More on the expansion from the Gulf Coast News.

• 3 weeks later...

Bay Bridge Opens Today

The Biloxi=Ocean Springs Bay Bridge (or vice-versa) opens today. This is more than just another bridge. This represents the reconnection of Biloxi with its neighbors to the east. Even more important, the ease with which visitors can now reach the area is expected to help businesses all along the Coast. As noted elsewghere, it's possible that the reconnection could bring a major development into the former Broadwater property.

The Sun Herald

Tunica-Gulfport? Tunica-Shrevepot? Those routes do not make any sense. Traffic between these places can't be much at all. I can see Allegiant Air entering Tunica, but I would hope they'd have the sense to initiate service which will be useful. Something like Tunica to Cleveland or Detroit would make more sense. Would you have a link to the article?

^ Those destinations are weird. Commercial flights from Jackson, TN for example used to fly to St. Louis with its previous carrier, now with Delta's subsidary it flies to Cincinatti to make connections. Both of those locations offer connecting flights to most of the nation. Conversely, Shreveport and Gulfport don't seem big enough offer many connections, but perhaps they offer more than I would assume.

From Gulfport/Biloxi, they'd be able to connect to Orlando or Las Vegas. I'd think it would be easier to fly directly from Memphis for those destinations. The most sensible route for Tunica to take with destinations would be rust belt cities and/or the midwest. There are vast markets unplumbed as far as Tunica is concerned. Direct flights make more sense than feeder flights into a hub- at least at this point. I don't see Tunica working welll in a hub-and-spoke system.

Allegiant Air Ends Gulfport-Las Vegas Service

The service between Gulfport and Las Vegas will come to an end on December 10th when Allegiant Air will end the flights. Their service to Orlando will continue. I had wondered about the wisdom of a Gulfport-Las Vegas flight, as I can't see how much business there would be between the two cities. I should think that service to the midwest would make more sense.

The Sun Herald

• 2 months later...

From what I have been able to gather so far, the USAirways service from Charlotte will begin in May. 50 seat CRJs will be used and there will be three flights per day except for one day (not sure which one) which will have just two flights.

Archived