"Presidio on Grandville"

GRDadof3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my point in my previous post. What if the numbers don't work if they have to do retail on the first floor (that will sit empty for the foreseeable future)? Unused retail space costs money. Does the city make it a "requirement", therefore scaring away ANY development and appearing anti-business? The city needs to work with developers and come up with some solutions, IMO. Offer additional tax credits if ground floor retail is used, such as the extra credits that are given if residential is included in a project, with an eye on the future possible use of that space?

We got to talking about this at the meet up last night. I lived in downtown Portland, OR a few years ago. They had and ordinance that required all ground level space facing the outside of new buildings (parking ramps, office, residential, you name it) to be retail. Wow! That was a huge contributing factor in making that city a walkable city with a sense of old skool small CBD community in all neighborhoods.

Would it work in GR? It might, but I think it would only work if it was applied in the same manner to all new development. You can't give someone the "out option" of skipping a tax credit because they are scared of trying to rent ground floor retail space.

Do we have developers in town that actually have the best interest of GR in mind when they do a project? If so, who are they. As mentioned above, so many developers have nothing but quick profit/bottom line in mind, not what is best for the City or long term thinking. Maybe we should have a wall of shame/wall of fame for local developers. If they get on the WOS, they have to do something good to get off it...

Do we have developers in town that actually have the best interest of GR in mind when they do a project? If so, who are they. As mentioned above, so many developers have nothing but quick profit/bottom line in mind, not what is best for the City or long term thinking. Maybe we should have a wall of shame/wall of fame for local developers. If they get on the WOS, they have to do something good to get off it...

:rofl:

I think we at UP kind of serve that purpose

Do we have developers in town that actually have the best interest of GR in mind when they do a project? If so, who are they. As mentioned above, so many developers have nothing but quick profit/bottom line in mind, not what is best for the City or long term thinking.

Yes we do have developers in town that have the interest of GR in mind. We do, but I'm not going to blow my own horn. I'll let someone else bust me out.

The smaller developers here in town can't afford to look for quick profit. Most development happens so slowly that usually the best thing you can hope for is that the project cash flows by the time you're finished with it.

I don't think we need a wall of shame. This forum tends to bust the chops of most anyone. Long live Moch's Crocs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, instead of doing two separate buildings at 248 Williams and this one on Grandville, it looks like Moch is going for broke with one big-ass apartment building (the parking one is underneath and behind the building).

97318845_20de7b6df4_o.jpg

97319284_f14b9c9a30_o.jpg

97319285_6f4fd7b8ed_o.jpg

(please don't complain about the cropping :P )

Yeah, those look like grated openings. At least they have pink/red awnings! :) I don't know if I would want a room on the back where all you would be able to see is the parking lot and the neighbors in the other wing.

The roof can certainly be improved. It looks like the sections of roof on the corners will be set back far enough that you would have to bee a block away to even begin to see them. What's the point? It might as well be flat.

The design is better than I'd expect from Moch. It's not a bad design, but it's a little to suburban. I agree that the green roof is a problem. Thinking positively though, this will be better than what's there now. Anybody wanna guess how many years this will be dragged out before we see construction like Icon on Bond?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived