Riverwalk & Singer Sculpture Repair

GRDadof3

Someone (rnr-plnr I believe) brought up this item on the City's agenda this week, but the DDA has reached a deal with Plaza Towers to make repairs to the riverwalk and sculpture on the riverbank in front of Plaza Towers. The sculpture is supposed to have running water:

post-2672-1138077966_thumb.jpg

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...e3d7b030f3c.pdf

Sometimes I do feel like we have a direct line to the DDA :ph34r:

post-2672-1138077966_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy, in a letter from Eenhorn - Spring Lake in the minutes, it says that a new riverwalk section is going to be built that extends all the way to Fulton. Right now the trail changes to a sidewalk that goes through that small park by Kinko's parking lot. It also lays the ground work for maintenance of the Singer Sculpture and riverwalk for the next 15 years. :thumbsup:

Or you can read more:

post-2672-1138112545_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112608_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112652_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112680_thumb.jpg

I should have just posted all 217 pages of the minutes :rofl:

post-2672-1138112545_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112608_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112652_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1138112680_thumb.jpg

That whole area, with the blue bridge, is really striking. I'm glad they're firmly committed to cleaning up the sculpture and that part of the river, which is overgrown with weeds, brambles and ivy. Oh, and junk from the river.

Now if we can just have a better riverwalk North of there, it could be a real gem for downtown.

Finally someone read the suggestion thread! This looks too good to be true!

:lol: That's totally what I was thinking Rizzo, were the threads we did last summer. Everyone was talking about this area and fixing up the riverwalk. I also did that thread on adding fountains around downtown, and lo and behold, a fountain goes up in exactly one of the spots I mentioned (at the Western gateway by the Ford Museum) :blink: Of course, they added the Furniture Strikers Monument to it, but still. Weird, just weird.

They talked about the Singer sculpture at the City Commission meeting last night. Milt Rohrer (sp?) spoke in favor of it, as did a few other people and several submitted comments in favor. The place was packed and it was too hard to hear anything much on this (particularly to my untrained ears) but I think it will happen. Personally, I used to walk the river route everyday and I love that sculpture.

• 3 months later...

Did you notice that they've added a security camera to try to nap the graffiti artists?

No, I didn't, but I'm glad. I noticed there was a fresh new "mural" all over that area today. :sick: They should make motion sensing tommy guns too, to scare the s**t out of em. :lol:

Does anyone know if it's completely fixed now, or are there more running water sections?

Sidenote, I was suprised how loud it was and that you could hear the cascading water over the sound of the river. Very nice.

Even the powers that be have a computer screen with UP - GR on it! I think this ties into what I just sent you... You never know who's going to UP- GR.

One of TPTB was the person who turned me onto Urban Planet (early 2005). Others read it too. As I understand it, for a variety of reasons they do not post.

• 2 months later...

According to Chris Knape's blog, they were adding lighting on Tuesday so that the Singer Sculpture would be lit up at night. Anyone see it with the new lighting yet?

saw it last night, it was a little tooo bright. the WHOLE thing was lit up, it wouldve been cool if only parts were lit. but oh well better than b4.

Yeah, I saw it Sunday night. (had my camera too, but for some reason failed to take a picture - DOH! It really does stand out against the river - the lighting isn't at all subtle. they lit it up like it's a baseball stadium. I'm surprised that there wasn't a tower and a bank of lights visible...

No, I didn't, but I'm glad. I noticed there was a fresh new "mural" all over that area today. :sick: They should make motion sensing tommy guns too, to scare the s**t out of em. :lol:

Does anyone know if it's completely fixed now, or are there more running water sections?

Sidenote, I was suprised how loud it was and that you could hear the cascading water over the sound of the river. Very nice.

They should put cameras everywhere like they did in the Easthills area and Blodgett Building, can anyone call Bazzani?

I really believe that having a lighted riverwalk is something that is not only a great draw for people to start walking around downtown but also opens up the area for downtown businesses (restaurants, bars, galleries, shops) to have the opportunity to start utilizing the river. Entrances that face the riverwalk make for easy accesability and a beautiful atmosphere. When are we going to realize that the river is an asset not a detriment?

I hate to be the cold bucket of water, but I don't think we will ever see shops facing the riverfont. Small locally owned shops in most downtowns have a hard time staying open with parking right in front of them. Unless it's part of a massive riverfront project (Project X), but even then, I bet they'll have a hard time retaining any riverfront tenants. Even in Chicago, retail spaces in the Wrigley building along the Chicago River are perpetually vacant (according to a family member who works in that market). And you'll notice very few other retail buildings along that river. Cities that have vibrant shops along riverfronts, like San Antonio, are basically built on canals, not rivers.

I think our riverfront should be reserved for recreation, and perhaps with added services like kayaking, boat slips above the dam, etc.. Vacant storefronts along the river we do not need, IMO.

I hate to be the cold bucket of water, but I don't think we will ever see shops facing the riverfont. Small locally owned shops in most downtowns have a hard time staying open with parking right in front of them. Unless it's part of a massive riverfront project (Project X), but even then, I bet they'll have a hard time retaining any riverfront tenants. Even in Chicago, retail spaces in the Wrigley building along the Chicago River are perpetually vacant (according to a family member who works in that market). And you'll notice very few other retail buildings along that river. Cities that have vibrant shops along riverfronts, like San Antonio, are basically built on canals, not rivers.

I think our riverfront should be reserved for recreation, and perhaps with added services like kayaking, boat slips above the dam, etc.. Vacant storefronts along the river we do not need, IMO.

What is wrong with forcing people to think and live a differernt way? It is up to the develpors to take a chance. I feel as though people here are so scared to take a chance, to live outside of their box. I agree that it would take a vibrant riverwalk to sustain some riverfront businesses, however, we need to utilize our riverfront in some way shape or form other than just a sidewalk and some fountains. we need decks facing the river, we need a coffee shop with a door facing the river for tourists taking an early morning stroll and wanting some coffee, not wandering around on fulton or ionia. NO ONE has opened anything facing the river, NO ONE, except the succesfull business Charleys Crab, a chain, has even ground level windows facing the river in to their business...1913 Room how is that 5 star. How many places can you see the river from, let alone if you weren't from here know there is a river?

Why are riverfront cities being revitalized all over the country? Beautification? If we want our convention goers and tourists to come back again we need to have them talk about us when they leave, want to come back, and tell their friends. The RIVER HAS TO BE UTILIZED!

What is wrong with forcing people to think and live a differernt way? It is up to the develpors to take a chance. I feel as though people here are so scared to take a chance, to live outside of their box. I agree that it would take a vibrant riverwalk to sustain some riverfront businesses, however, we need to utilize our riverfront in some way shape or form other than just a sidewalk and some fountains. we need decks facing the river, we need a coffee shop with a door facing the river for tourists taking an early morning stroll and wanting some coffee, not wandering around on fulton or ionia. NO ONE has opened anything facing the river, NO ONE, except the succesfull business Charleys Crab, a chain, has even ground level windows facing the river in to their business...1913 Room how is that 5 star. How many places can you see the river from, let alone if you weren't from here know there is a river?

Why are riverfront cities being revitalized all over the country? Beautification? If we want our convention goers and tourists to come back again we need to have them talk about us when they leave, want to come back, and tell their friends. The RIVER HAS TO BE UTILIZED!

First of all, everything is wrong with forcing people to think and live in a different way.

If you're all about taking chances, take one yourself and open a riverfront cafe if you think it's such a no-brainer.

Five Star Restaurant ratings are not based on "views of a river" the last time I checked.

It's pretty hard to miss the river when coming in off of Pearl, which I would bet 80 - 90% of visitors use to get to downtown.

How many cities revitalizing their riverfronts are adding riverfront retail? Do you have any stats, photos or links? I'd be curious to know how many and how they are doing.

Typing in all caps in frowned upon here.

First of all, everything is wrong with forcing people to think and live in a different way.

If you're all about taking chances, take one yourself and open a riverfront cafe if you think it's such a no-brainer.

Five Star Restaurant ratings are not based on "views of a river" the last time I checked.

It's pretty hard to miss the river when coming in off of Pearl, which I would bet 80 - 90% of visitors use to get to downtown.

How many cities revitalizing their riverfronts are adding riverfront retail? Do you have any stats, photos or links? I'd be curious to know how many and how they are doing.

Typing in all caps in frowned upon here.

As I said the most important thing is to take chances, Lets not Keep it a Secret!. Think Big...

Small thinking is what is holding this city back, as I said, don't look at demographics, lets look at per capita spending. Our motto "Think Bigger"

5 star resaurants aren't judged on view. 1913 Room shouldn't be judged on it view, but wouldn't it be nicer? and it's menu is out dated.

Pearl off of 131 is a great view of the river, on the road. Do we really want the river to be seen from the road for 30 seconds. There are cities all over the country revitalizing their cities on the river.

And finally I am starting a business, and shopping for property.

THINK BIG! (unless the caps are too much for you!) :thumbsup:

Archived