Downtown Connectivity Plan

Florida

TALLAHASSEE

KlemanPlaza.jpg

PROJECT OVERVIEW:

This report summarizes the planning recommendations to increase the quality of the pedestrian environment in the core downtown area of Tallahassee. The plan was initiated by the Tallahassee Downtown improvement Authority (TDIA) in January of 2004. The TDIA is responsible for the coordination of activities and projects that promote business vitality in downtown Tallahassee. Over the years, the TDIA business members have voiced concerns over the lack of pedestrian activity in the downtown and the resulting negative affects on the business environment. Some of the issues that have surfaced pertain to: poor handicap accessibility, pedestrian un-friendly sidewalks, high-speed traffic at pedestrian crossings, lack of

pedestrian activity around government buildings, visitor disorientation, lack of entertainment and retail venues, and terrain impediments.

Most importantly, private reinvestment in the core area has been very slow over the past several

decades. As a result of all these variables, the TDIA has been in the process of initiating strategies to reignite

private investment.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLK BLVD.

MLKBlvd.jpg

MLK BLVD. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} CIVIC CENTER

MLKCivicCenter.jpg

It may be a good thing to take advantage of the opportunity to redevelop Doug Burnett Park. Long ago it was an open air market. The park could be turned into a beautiful garden area, perfect for eating outdoors, meeting before events at the Civic Center, Community Events such as Shakespeare in the Park among many other options.

PARK AVENUE {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Near MLK

ParkAvenuenexttoCemetery.jpg

There may even be some opportunities to redevelop the Apartments Currently at the end of the road. This would be good for those seeking to live near the Chain of Parks. Also in the area, College Park Commons, and The Village sites.

EXTRAS

DOWNTOWN REDEVELOPMENT PLAN

RedevelopmentPlan.jpg

PROPOSED AUTOMOTIVE DIRECTIONAL SIGNAGE

ProposedDriversDirectionalSignage.jpg

PEDESTRIAN INFORMATION KIOSK

PedestrianInformationKisok.jpg

PROPOSED HERITAGE SQUARE ELEVATION

HeritageSquareElevation.jpg

PEDESTRIAN DIRECTIONAL SIGNAGE

ProposedPedestrianDirectionalSignag.jpg

These are some very exciting Changes underway! I love the proposed street lights, I love the way the information kiosk, and new signage will look.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND DISCUSS.

ENJOY!!!

-tj

Wow TaureanJ!

What a brilliant and informative thread. Pedestrian issues must be at the core of any serious reimagination of our downtown. I lived downtown for five years and walked up and down all of the streets, mostly in the evenings, and seldom ever met another walker. I thought, "what a shame." Our city is quite lovely on foot, and these plans appear to begin the process of addressing why it is so lonely walking around downtown.

There is too much for me to digest right away, but I must say again - well done. This should be a major thread.

I like the dome shape style of the signage. Those are the things I feel we really need in our downtown. I am glad they are trying to do something about those sidewalks, because it is sometimes frightening walking on the sidewalks downtown. But overall this is indeed very exciting!!

Big Tally HO jump wit it!

Wow TaureanJ!

What a brilliant and informative thread. Pedestrian issues must be at the core of any serious reimagination of our downtown. I lived downtown for five years and walked up and down all of the streets, mostly in the evenings, and seldom ever met another walker. I thought, "what a shame." Our city is quite lovely on foot, and these plans appear to begin the process of addressing why it is so lonely walking around downtown.

There is too much for me to digest right away, but I must say again - well done. This should be a major thread.

Thanks P!

I'll be adding more this weekend. There is a whole landscaping thing that goes with this plan that I'd like to share. :)

RedevelopmentPlan.jpg

Am I correct in seeing a large complex of new "light blue" buildings at the corner of Tennessee and Monroe where the Spur station is presently? It also appears that the corner of Gadsden and Tennessee is in for some new development (where workers on The Tennyson are now parking.) How should we interpret the legend designation "Proposed Buildings?" Are these active proposals by developers that have not yet come to light?

RedevelopmentPlan.jpg

Am I correct in seeing a large complex of new "light blue" buildings at the corner of Tennessee and Monroe where the Spur station is presently? It also appears that the corner of Gadsden and Tennessee is in for some new development (where workers on The Tennyson are now parking.) How should we interpret the legend designation "Proposed Buildings?" Are these active proposals by developers that have not yet come to light?

I've come to the conclusion that not all of the light blue buildings are active proposals. Those who drafted this redevelopment plan likey contacted the downtown landholders and asked if they had plans to develop their property in the future. Going off of that, they put up the blue in the places where those developments are likely to occur.

I looked at this and thought, there are no plans for the lot directly south of the civic center yet they show an entire complex of some sort there. Years ago there were plans for some student housing there, "The Exchange at Gaines" but fortunately those were scrapped to make room for the possibility to add two or three more large buildings to our downtown. That undeveloped lot just south of the civic center could become another Kleman Plaza.

Going off of that, they put up the blue in the places where those developments are likely to occur.

I've been looking closely at the Downtown Redevelopment Plan map and see quite a few strange/interesting sites for "proposed" development. What is going on in the LeRoy Collins Library parking lot? Surely that is city property and would not be subject to any development, as if the library could afford to do with fewer parking spaces! Maybe the person responsible for this plan is confusing the main parking lot with the supplemental lot across Bronough, where people reporting for jury duty are instructed to park.

It is also interesting to see that the great dirt lot that serves as auxiliary parking for the City Center building (property of Bethel church) is up for some development. It is about time.

The Bethel property (my church) is prime real estate. I still remember the days when Reverend Holmes was requesting $3000 from each member to purchase the property... I could only give $100. I seems the church should be able to turn a profit on the property in the future given the right developer comes along.

Looks like all of the proposals on the downtown redevelopment plan have weird shapes. I truly doubt anything being propsed will take some of those shapes.

Archived