Downtown Connectivity Plan

Florida

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple responses/ideas...

-Could the proposed development on the Leroy Collins parking lot be a parking garage? I don't think it is a secret that downtown parking is still at a premium. Since the city already owns the lot, it would seem like a logical place for one.

-Smurph- I hope for our sake that you meant to say "sweetness"

-TJ- it does not count if you do your speech on Tallahassee. I always found that the bigger challenge came from speaking about something you can't do while asleep. Interestingly, when I took that class my speech was on abolishing interstate speed limits in Florida!

-My paper came at 3:30a one day last week...maybe I can beat you to the special report!

I accept your challenge, and announce myself the winner. I have my paper in hand now...

Oh Man! Seriously, you already got your paper? How did you get your paper before 3 AM? Did you go out to a stand or was it actually delivered to you this early? If they're already out delivering then I'm waiting up for mine now. :D

Please share with us any cool stuff you read toolman, while we sit & wait on our own newspapers to arrive.

It is quite comprehensive, and out of 28 pages, only 1 story is provided by Gannett. They seem to have interviewed many of the heavy hitters in local development. I may have actually learned a few things that we have not already discussed here.

It covers the region well, including downtown, apartments, rentals, residential, beachfront, offices, etc.

They also tout some interviews, video tours (of the Tennyson) and other online extras. They are not posted yet, though.

Overall, I say well done.

I really did not think it would be out there this early, but it was. I get daily delivery (or nightly as it might be).

Cool! Can't wait to get mine...I'm watching out for my paper delivery person now. :D

Thanks so much for your synopsis of what's in the special report toolman. Sounds like we will have plenty to discuss once we all get our hands on it this morning.

It is quite comprehensive, and out of 28 pages, only 1 story is provided by Gannett. They seem to have interviewed many of the heavy hitters in local development. I may have actually learned a few things that we have not already discussed here.

It covers the region well, including downtown, apartments, rentals, residential, beachfront, offices, etc.

They also tout some interviews, video tours (of the Tennyson) and other online extras. They are not posted yet, though.

Overall, I say well done.

I really did not think it would be out there this early, but it was. I get daily delivery (or nightly as it might be).

toolman, you've been mighty quiet since the release of this Outlook 2006. I hope it didn't scare you off!? :lol: It was just another example of why Tallahassee needs a Media overhaul.

it was the pictures.. i am a sucker for picutures. Also the office building section told me a ton of stuff i didnt realize as far as the cost and demand of these beasts of burden. And the coastal stuff gave me something to talk about with the parents. But we totally were ahead of the DT reports..lol

TJ - I guess that I was looking at the Outlook 2006 from the Democrat with a slightly different perspective. Ever since I found this forum I feel like I know ten times as much about local development as anyone else (except you of course) and I did not really expect the Democrat to be able to break any news in this type of pub.

What I did see as the big benefit of the publication is that it got a lot of what we discuss here out to the 80,000 people who read the Sunday Democrat.

I agree that it was a little devoid of new information, but it was pretty comprehensive. I also liked the fact the Ensley wrote a lot of it, which, to me, indicates that it carried some importance with the editorial board. They are committed (as any large TLH-based business should be) to the growth of Tallahassee.

To that point, I think they are helping keep everyone in the area up to date, and especially more so than the other news media (except maybe NPR).

UrbanPlanet Tallahassee remains the best source of news and commentary on TLH development, but it would take several days to read all of the information we have collected here. Everyone else just had the time it took them to eat breakfast.

BTW - sorry for being a bit offline lately, we have a new baby in the house! Still reading, just not posting as much...

...we have a new baby in the house! Still reading, just not posting as much...

WOW!!! Congrats on the new skins!!! Is it a boy or a girl? :yahoo:

And now that you put it the way you do, I suppose getting the communitiy more caught up on whats going on is more important that touching on all subjects. I can respect it from that angle. But just so they know, this year's edition was no where near as good as last year's.

• 3 months later...

Seminole,

Here's the downtown Connectivity Plan. You may be able to tell in the Downtown map what they plan to do with some of the landscaping along Tennessee and Monroe Streets in thru the downtown area.

Hope this helps.

Thanks TJ! It does help because I assumed the the Connectivity Plan was confined to the area in and around Kleman Plaza and Pensacola Street.

You're welcome seminole. I also thought the same as you after seeing an article in the Tallahassee Democrat on one particular part of the plan that calls for the closing of Pensacola Street between the Florida Capitol and City Hall for the purpose of a pedestrian Mall/Plaza. The plan is still on the table as far as I know, but part of a much bigger puzzle so to speak.

I'll be excited when I actually begin to see some of this work underway. I really think the downtown and areas between it and the Campuses could benifit from the installation of some really neat light posts. Not only would it make the area safer for those traveling at night, but it will be more inviting and give area visitors a sense of place.

• 1 year later...

Downtown District Banners

downtowndistrictvw4.jpg

When I'm downtown I'm guilty of not paying attention to see if any banners exist designating the area as a district. The DIA has had a design for a few years that they've planned to release but thus far have not.

Do you like the banner design above, and if so, would you like to see them go up on the streets of downtown??

^They look fine to me. I'm not sure what a "capitol downtown cultural district" is, but I do like having banners to define the downtown area. I'm not sure what banners they have up now either...possibly the ones that say "Welcome Legislatures." I use to Zing! them every year b/c they'd leave up the Holiday banners into late January and early February. Maybe those are the ones still up now? :)

^They look fine to me. I'm not sure what a "capitol downtown cultural district" is, but I do like having banners to define the downtown area. I'm not sure what banners they have up now either...possibly the ones that say "Welcome Legislatures." I use to Zing! them every year b/c they'd leave up the Holiday banners into late January and early February. Maybe those are the ones still up now? :)

Archived