Walmart with underground parking

wolverine

Walmart Frankenmuth Presentation October 2005

The link above leads to a pdf file of a presentation Walmart made in Frankenmuth back in October 2005. It shows the proposed site plan and elevations. I believe this is before the underground parking concept came about.

I'm not sure that Frankenmuth needs a Walmart, but I do think that the proposed elevation design fits well with the Bavarian Village feel of Frankenmuth. And I have to admit, I'm curious about how the underground parking would work.

Also, the Frankenmuth web site had a pdf of their Growth Management Plan....I searched for the words "Walmart" and "Wal-mart". I didn't get a single hit.

I looked at this link and shaw the renderings, as ameture as they were. Unless I'm blind, I didn't see any sign of underground parking unless newer plans were drawn up since this link was posted. Etherway, I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart. If they do plop a Wally-World in this festive Christmas themed city will dry up like so many other towns unlucky enough to have a Wal-Mart. That would be a crying shame.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the proposal prior to underground parking. The city gave them an option saying there would be no approval if the parking wasnt underground. But it does not matter anymore. As of two weeks ago, Wal-Mart pulled out due to Frankenmuths strong opposition. Lets hope other cities can be succesful like Frankenmuth.

BTW, does anyone know how to make it so I can type apostrophies? Firefox keeps activating the find tool when I press it.

That's good. Wal-Mart and Frankenmuth just weren't meant for each other.

As far as Firefox, do you have the latest version (1.5.0.4)? I know Firefox used to do that to me when I would use the apostrophe, but it's been a while since that has happened. Also, if I would close Firefox and open it again the problem would go away for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

My sister lives in downtown Chicago near an urban Target. The cart mechanism/escalator thinggy is cool, but it seems like it needs a bit of technological advancement. Of course, my mom had to go and break it, loosing half the contents of the cart and jamming the conveyor belt. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the new Wal-Mart in Grand Blanc? It is certainly not an eyesore. I hate Wal-Mart, like the rest of you, and loathe sprawl; however, what they have there is, without a doubt, preferable to what we have in Flint township or Burton.

Wal-Mart just wasn't right for Frankenmuth. I think we can all agree on that.

Archived