Photos of Asheville

RestedTraveler

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful! Is that an urban Staples in the last pic??^
Yes. Well, no. Well, sorta. That's the Great Wall of Staples:

asheville05.jpg

It's in an urban location and it abuts the sidewalk, but it's out of scale with everything around it, and it's really just a huge blank wall. Its appearance has really damaged Staples' relationship with the community, and the bad press is hurting their business. Supposedly, the company is going to change it to somehow make this bottom-shelf design more friendly. They're talking about toning down the towering sign, putting in more plantings, and adding ornamentation to the wall, but before any of that I'd rather they put in a second floor at street level.

• 7 months later...

Downtown Wilmington seems much bigger. Very nice though..love the mtns in the background.

Interesting response. What do you mean? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not turning this into a pissing contest. Wilmington is an older town so that could explain it. I'm curious exactly what it is from these photos that makes Wilmington seem much bigger, though.

Hm. I can definitely agree with you about that for parts of Wilmington and parts of Asheville. In Wilmington, N. Water Street was disappointing (Lots of stuff planned, but mostly parking decks and lots right now) but Front Street and Market Street were very impressive. In Asheville, Biltmore Ave, Patton Ave, Haywood Ave, and the Grove Arcade district are all pretty impressive; Woodfin, S. Charlotte, Hilliard, and S. Lexington are all disappointing. I'm not sure if I'd say Wilmington stretches out more than Asheville; the urban valley of Front Street is pretty much the same length as that of Biltmore / Broadway in Asheville. And if you're going to include the PPD building (which is close but kind of disconnected from town right now) you might include the hospital in Asheville as well (which is similarly close but kind of disconnected.)

If you're basing your judgement on just this thread of Asheville (which doesn't have any streetscape photos, really) you might want to check out some of the other photo threads: here, here, here, and here.

I'd welcome any counterpoints, but I really feel like Asheville and Wilmington are pretty comparable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for posting these grand photos. I know the intial photos were posted awhile back, but this is my first time on the Asheville forums. I normally loom about the Tennessee forums. Sorry. :)

I never realized that Asheville had such a neat little skyline. Despite only being about 2 hours from Asheville, we do not get there often. Last time we went through was in 1994, when we went to visit my aunt in Anderson, SC and we went down I-26. I do not remember seeing the skyline, but that was years ago and I have not seen any good photos of this that shows the entire skyline like these, so they are a treat for me to see.

It kinda reminds me of the skyline here in my hometown of Bristol, TN- and and even Johnson City for that matter- which ironically connects to Asheville by I-26.

What, with the skyline, with the mountains in the backgrounds. The mountain in the background of Bristol is a bit further away and Bristol is about 1000 ft. lower in elevation than Asheville, but the terrain is about the same.

Here are a few photos I have taken of Bristol awhile back..... some of them really does not show the mountain that well. Just over that mountain is the North Carolina-Tennessee state line. Boone is about 55 miles southeast of here.

100_0290.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_2007.jpg

Again, thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:camera:

I just asked Zen if I could share one of his skyline photos w/ Urban Planet - I am glad to see that he took the bait and shared some of his wonderful city shots himself! Zen takes some great photos of Asheville, and I highly reccomend keeping an eye on his photostream if you are at all interested in what is going on downtown.

Here's a link to the photo that prompted my original inquiry...

On the left hand side of the photo you can see two of the new condo developments that are mentioned frequently around here, and how they fit in with the skyline. I have to say I am very fond of the overall look from this perspective.

Ha! I don't mind that i've been baited, actually. I love Asheville and have been looking for sites besides the usual newsfeeds that give insight into what's being built, what being proposed and everything...

Shame on you AND thank you, AsheVid! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love those Anti-Growth signs they are very harilious. I wonder do these beotchs who put signs up like that ever think about the people from the past that didn't want their ass to move to Asheville. Have you guys seen what they are doing to the stop signs in downtown. Now the FBI is studying this now I can't wait when these guys are busted.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love those Anti-Growth signs they are very harilious. I wonder do these beotchs who put signs up like that ever think about the people from the past that didn't want their ass to move to Asheville. Have you guys seen what they are doing to the stop signs in downtown. Now the FBI is studying this now I can't wait when these guys are busted.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

• 4 weeks later...

Archived