Interstate Traveler presentation

Mojo

I just got word from the founder / lead engineer that there will be a hearing with the CoD on January 31st 2006 at 1pm in the Committee Room on the 13th Floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. I'm not sure what will be covered, but I think this is definately a positive step towards mass transit. This is a new mass form of mass transit that would make this city and state see a ridiculous boom if it comes to fruition. I made the founder of the company do a presentation at my old school, and all the engineering professors were truly amazed. What sets this form of transit apart from others is the fact that it's self sustaining (not hooked into the city grid). It's fueled with alternative energy sources, and wont cost the city too much in terms of infrastructure.

Several of the suburban city councils (along Woodward) have already approved plans to build a starter line going as far as Birmingham. I look forward to seeing others from the forum at the hearing :thumbsup:

www.interstatetraveler.us

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I don't like about this type of system is the way the stations are designed.

When talking to the founder of the president, he stated that he is going to make the stations to match the surroundings of the neighborhoods. It's important to him that the stations don't stand out badly.

It looks very cool. It would be awesome if our regional leaders decided to do something like this. Detroit would potentially have the most modern mass transit system in the country. I was planning on going down to Detroit tuesday to take pictures and wander around, now I think ill sit in on this presentation if it is open to the public.

I went to the last one that was held in Ferndale. It was a neat discussion and a neat proposal from the company. It sounds as though they have all the necessary funding and support, except for the right of ways and MDOT approval.

I'm skeptical, but would favor a test track. I would also support them agreeing to dismantle it if the system did not live up to its expectations.

I went to the last one that was held in Ferndale. It was a neat discussion and a neat proposal from the company. It sounds as though they have all the necessary funding and support, except for the right of ways and MDOT approval.

I'm skeptical, but would favor a test track. I would also support them agreeing to dismantle it if the system did not live up to its expectations.

The only thing that was needed to get the "right of ways" was a third party analysis from a University. The ITC president was first trying to get the third party analysis done with LTU in Southfield, but later got it through Michigan State University.

I think a mass transit system would be great. And the more money the area wants to put into it, and the better the system can be, the better. The website doesn't make me very confident in them though. Some of the pictures look good, and practical, while others look too rediculous and martian. Plus the site has spelling mistakes and typos and stuff like that. The site looks like something someone made up over the weekend. If they spent so much money on the illustrations, why not any on web design?

For those who can make it, try to take notes with some details on it, who knows how in-depth the presentation will be. And who knows, maybe you'll be sitting in on a piece of history.

This is more commuter rail than anything else, right? Or would this also be local like a trolley, or light rail line? I remember seeing this a few months ago. I think it's a good idea, but I'd really be interested in seeing the plan hashed out more for this particular area. By that I mean things like a redesign of the cars and stations and exactly where the planned stops are.

From what I can tell it's a monorail, lol.

It has some fancy technology on it that makes it more self dependant and cheap. solar panels on the "track bed", some kind of water recyling system, and altogether it's actually supposed to make more electricity than it consumes, which is supposed to get sold back to someone to help pay for the costs.

There is also some kind of car ferry system, where you drive your car into one of the little pod things, and it zooms you along in your car. The website has a bunch of info on it.

This is more commuter rail than anything else, right? Or would this also be local like a trolley, or light rail line? I remember seeing this a few months ago. I think it's a good idea, but I'd really be interested in seeing the plan hashed out more for this particular area. By that I mean things like a redesign of the cars and stations and exactly where the planned stops are.

On the website there is a rendering of a proposed station in Ferndale. I think the plan is to fit the stations into their surroundings.

Did you get to see it Mojo? I got to the thirteenth floor and went to what was supposed to be the Committee Room and it was dark with nothing going on. Luckily Jerome Bettis was getting his key to the city at the same time so I went to the auditorium and sat in on that.

Did you get to see it Mojo? I got to the thirteenth floor and went to what was supposed to be the Committee Room and it was dark with nothing going on. Luckily Jerome Bettis was getting his key to the city at the same time so I went to the auditorium and sat in on that.

They postponed the hearing until 2pm so that Bettis could get the key. I attended both of the presentations. Barbara Collins, and JoAnn Watson were very receptive to IT idea, and are going to get more information from the founder at a later date. The founder informed the council that there would be no cost to the city towards building the infrastructure, and that this will create jobs ultimately throughout Michigan. I'm going to e-mail him now and see what's the next step for this to come to fruition.

Damn now im pissed. Did you learn anything new that wasnt on the website? And were there Detroit specific renderings or things of that nature? I think the fact that the city and region wont have to pay for it but will see the benefits of job creation is a huge factor.

Damn now im pissed. Did you learn anything new that wasnt on the website? And were there Detroit specific renderings or things of that nature? I think the fact that the city and region wont have to pay for it but will see the benefits of job creation is a huge factor.

I didn't learn anything new that wasn't already on the website (I guess it doesn't help that I've been in constant contact with the founder of the company with my questions though). One of the council members (Don't know her name) was being a complete ass through the presentation. I think it's because she couldn't get it out her mind that the comany was there to ask the city for money (which they were not). There is going to be another meeting regarding this, but I think this one is going to be private.

Council woman Barbara Collins, and JoAnn Watson came out and said that they know mass transit is important for our city and state to remain competetive. Barbara Collins was actually disgusted with the state of transit in the D. Overall I'd say the hearing was positive, I just have to wait and hear what's going on with the next meeting that was scheduled after the hearing.

Archived