Interstate Traveler presentation

Mojo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mojo besides the city council rejecting this, that would be incredibly dumb, do you see any other potential road blocks?

Besides the council, they've got to deal with SEMCOG, and MDOT. I don't know where they are in their talks at this point though.

I don't know what SEMCOG is, but MDOT probably wouldn't cause any roadbocks at all. At a state level there seems to be a lot of people favoring things that help urban areas, especially with those who are close to Granholm. At the next meeting someone should put in a good word for Lansing to these guys, we recently got a progressive mayor who is looking to find a way to put in some sort of light rail or trolley system. :)

The only thing that was needed to get the "right of ways" was a third party analysis from a University. The ITC president was first trying to get the third party analysis done with LTU in Southfield, but later got it through Michigan State University.

Hi, I just now logged on to this forum to have a look around. I was recommended to me by Robert Binder. As I scanned the threads, I noticed your post about LTU and MSU. I have to point out that MSU has not produced any third party analysis, and I have not actually had any formal meetings with MSU. I have met a multitude of Faculty from MSU at various conventions, public hearings, economic development meetings and forums held by MDOT. They all like it, and certainly support the idea, but we have not requested anything in writing from them, nor have they supplied anything in writing. We have, however, held meetings with a multitude of Universities from around the world including U of M, EMU, Wayne State, Kettering Flint, LTU, CMU, WMU, Texas A&M, the Polytecical University of Athens Greece, several Universities in India, etc. There is much conversation going on... :thumbsup:

If you go to the ITC Website, click on 'About Us' and then click on 'Board of Presidents' you can read about out our Executive Vice President of Asian/American Acedemic Relations Professor Zixiang (Edward) Xiong

http://www.interstatetraveler.us/VP_Asia.htm

The establishment of the 'right of ways' is facilitate by a Public Private Partnership. If you would like to review a copy, feel free to send me an email requesting it. :)

J Sutton

Hey, yeah we were in the row behind you guys. Nice to meet you man.

I'm a little disappointed in the planned loop for downtown. I suspect that at least initially the Interstate Traveller would be used mainly by pedestrians to get downtown, so it would be a real bummer if it didn't link into the People Mover system somehow. By not linking with the PM it seems like the IT won't be used as much as it could be.

Hi, I appreciate your comments about linking to the PM, and I would like to share with you our illustration that depicts the Detroit Metro Loop (DML) connecting with the PM via Cobo, the Jo, and the RenCen. The DML is about 8 miles in lenght circumscribing the core downtown area providing links to future main-line Travelers following the various throughfares leading in and out of the City proper.

http://www.interstatetraveler.us/regions/u...oit/detroit.htm

J Sutton

I think a mass transit system would be great. And the more money the area wants to put into it, and the better the system can be, the better. The website doesn't make me very confident in them though. Some of the pictures look good, and practical, while others look too rediculous and martian. Plus the site has spelling mistakes and typos and stuff like that. The site looks like something someone made up over the weekend. If they spent so much money on the illustrations, why not any on web design?

For those who can make it, try to take notes with some details on it, who knows how in-depth the presentation will be. And who knows, maybe you'll be sitting in on a piece of history.

Dear Jason,

I appreciate your candid comments on the website. Please understand that I am a very frugal person, and I have created the entire website from scratch using MS FrontPage. On first glance, I understand that it can appear a bit simple, yet I am using FrontPage standard features. I know there are some typos, but as I have had a lifelong affliction of dislexia, I am not suprised that there would be a few typos... so please look past those gramatical areas and focus on the message. You may enjoy reading through the ITC Libary.

:)

http://www.interstatetraveler.us/Reference...ITC-Library.htm

J Sutton

J Sutton welcome to the forum. I think what your trying to accomplish in southeast Michigan is fantastic and I hope it comes to fruition. As far as your involvement on urbanplanet, is it ok to ask questions and request information regarding IT? Id hate to bombard you with questions if your just on the site to engage in casual discussion.

J Sutton welcome to the forum. I think what your trying to accomplish in southeast Michigan is fantastic and I hope it comes to fruition. As far as your involvement on urbanplanet, is it ok to ask questions and request information regarding IT? Id hate to bombard you with questions if your just on the site to engage in casual discussion.

Thank you for the kind greeting :)

Feel free to ask any question you like. I would however suggest that you read the 22 points of Interest in the "How does it work?" section on the ITC site... it helps answer most questions, plus there is a long winded FAQ on the site as well if you really feel like digging in... you may want to brew up a pot of coffee before you sit down to read this stuff. :P

http://www.interstatetraveler.us/how_does_it_work.htm

http://www.interstatetraveler.us/faq.htm

The technology is not my concern at all. Its the leaders of southeast Michigan and the actual implementing of the system. Ok Ill start firing away with the questions.

How have the leaders of the region responded to your proposal? Recently L. Brooks has mentioned that he only wants a bus oriented transit system. Have you met with him or plan on meeting with him?

What will this cost to the cities and taxpayers if the accept your system?

And on your downtown loop proposal, I understand that its preliminary, but how are you going to address the riverfront? The diagram seems to show it along the river and my only concern is that it would take away from what the city is trying to accomplish there.

This is all I have for now, but its only the tip of the iceberg.

I agree but it would be interesting to see how that all would work out especially by the Ren Cen. Youve got the PM there and those pedestrian tubes. If it goes around Cobo it would have to be done in a way that would allow for expansion and change of the convention center. Which means I think that this system has a better shot at being completed sooner than Cobo.

I was wondering if you had any contact with people from Lansing, our new mayor is looking into mass transit options and I'm sure this would be the best and one of the cheaper options. I would strongly suggest contacting them (by some way other than email, they dont respond), just let them know you exist and they will probably be interested ;)

I really don't know why some people have such a hard time beleiving this project. The only thing that I'm sceptical about is the hydrogeb, and I thought they said that early models of this wouldn't have the hydrogen part? Anyways, I'm not the most technoligally aware person, but this is one of the very few things that looked silly and sci-fi at first glance and when I read into it and how it works I started to beleive in it, most things are just the opposite. The only thing I dont like is the design of the cars, the bubble with the long legs, not real nice looking, I would go with something that hangs a little closer to the track.

I think it's okay to be skeptical. It keeps projects realistic at times, and makes sure every single aspect is scrutinized enough to be free of error. The problem occurs when the general public has a lack of knowledge in the project, and they start making criticisms that are barely supported.

I'm confident in that a system like this can happen. I mean, we went to the moon almost 40 years ago, at least we have enough resources to put together some enviromentally friendly elevated track. It would almost be idiotic to deny that we have the technological resources to make this project happen. I think through some more engineering, a system like this is possible, and ready to be built, if not possible already.

I've noticed though, that people find a lack of credibility right at the surface..... but don't blame them. Justin, I know you probably don't have the web design expertise or even that much time to update a website, but please realize that this is where 99.9% of the public gets their info. Not all of us have been to the meetings or get to hear your word directly. Presentation is perhaps the most powerful tool you'll need to sway general public approval and credibility. Your renderings and animations are incredible and informative, and they should be placed within a web enviroment which is suitable for them. As I learned in architecture school, I can have a wonderful idea, and maybe a beautiful model of my work with some sketches, but they mean nothing compared to a presentation that has a well organized array of drawings pinned up on a wall that correspond to their modeled idea proudly displayed beneath them. This is all your hard work.

I'm willing to help make that happen for you. I do web design on the side, and I'd be willing to redo your entire website at no cost if you'd like. It's somewhat of a hobby, and I've worked on making designs for other people. My goals are for the sites to make powerful statements and be aesthetically pleasing, but easy to update from a maintenance standpoint. Along with basic scripting languages, I also know FLASH.

Email me if you are interested. My address is [email protected] I'd be really excited to help on this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived