State of the City Address Tonight

vicupstate

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That original character is why some of my family located back to Boston, only recently have they been wanting to relocate to Charleston. Having family and friend's living on Sullivan's Island I have to completely disagree with the dramatic change statement. This is one of the few places that hasn't changed much in Charleston in the past 10-20 years, just some residential infill and if that's their problem then they prolly need to move to Smallville, Kansas. Now the comment about having to sell because of land values upping property taxes is very true. We've had offers in the millions for land on Sullivan's which is insane. If they have no need or desire to live on Sullivan's they would be crazy not to sell.

It's impossible to grow while having a character of stagnation or negative change. Charleston has a lot of new growth I don't see how you can expect these people to be ingrained in the culture of Charleston without first living here for awhile.

That original character is why some of my family located back to Boston, only recently have they been wanting to relocate to Charleston. Having family and friend's living on Sullivan's Island I have to completely disagree with the dramatic change statement. This is one of the few places that hasn't changed much in Charleston in the past 10-20 years, just some residential infill and if that's their problem then they prolly need to move to Smallville, Kansas. Now the comment about having to sell because of land values upping property taxes is very true. We've had offers in the millions for land on Sullivan's which is insane. If they have no need or desire to live on Sullivan's they would be crazy not to sell.

It's impossible to grow while having a character of stagnation or negative change. Charleston has a lot of new growth I don't see how you can expect these people to be ingrained in the culture of Charleston without first living here for awhile.

Just quoting the natives they interviewed. Not the first time I've heard natives voice that sentiment, though.

Growth will bring change, and its expected that the character of an area will change somewhat as it grows, especially since many areas in the South are seeing an influx of Hispanics and non-Southerners. This is the new face of the "New South." We need to learn to deal with it.

Well-said, Mike. Vic, thanks for posting the State of the City Address. Since I've started going to school full-time again, I've been slacking. ;) My only complaint with the Address from the mayor: I wish he had elaborated more on the Magnolia development. The lack of any detail says to me that it is years from even being started.

Back to what MikesLogic said...I agree 100%. I think it's ridiculous for people to expect that a city's character will remain the same or stagnant, yet be a thriving and growing economic center. I have to diasgree with those people on the NPR report. Yes, there are some Charlestonians who feel the way those people do, but I would be willing to wager that they are the NIMBY blue-bloods who have held the city in their tight economic grip for many years.

The historical integrity of the city is full formed and not wavering, despite what some detractors have said. The city still retains its "Old-World charm" along with its neighboring beachside communities such as Sullivans Island. The real estate prices are tremendously ridiculous, yes, but is that destroying or degrading the city's character? I think not.

:whistling: Since the "north city" mayor gave his State of the City Address, I thought I would post it here in addition to Charleston's address. After all, this is the "Northtowne" section of Charleston right? ;) Hopefully, God willing, in 5-10 years, there will only be one address given for the entire city of Charleston, including "Northtowne". Anyway, here's the link:

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=67668

:rofl: This coming from a mayor who encourages sprawl to try to outgain its sister city by annexing this tract West Ashley!! The hypocrisy is staggering.

I don't think thats a hypocritial statement. NC annexed (attempt to annex) Watson Hill to prevent the propoerty from being downzoned. By encouraging denser development that will keep development closer in. If I understand correctly, your objection is that this move encourages NC growth and potentially limits Charleston expansion. That view is understandable, but Summeys statements are not hypocritiical in the least. Dorchester County was ready to reduce zoning in that are to 1 unit per 8 acres, making it virtually usesless for any planned development other than "estate sized" properties. That certainly encourages spawl.

I don't think thats a hypocritial statement. NC annexed (attempt to annex) Watson Hill to prevent the propoerty from being downzoned. By encouraging denser development that will keep development closer in. If I understand correctly, your objection is that this move encourages NC growth and potentially limits Charleston expansion. That view is understandable, but Summeys statements are not hypocritiical in the least. Dorchester County was ready to reduce zoning in that are to 1 unit per 8 acres, making it virtually usesless for any planned development other than "estate sized" properties. That certainly encourages spawl.

Yes, but I think you misunderstood why I thought it was hypocritical. As the NC mayor continues to annex further out, he has now prohibited Chas from expanding into that region which geographically makes more sense. It is West Ashley, after all. The county was going to down zone the development, and I don't think this would have encouraged sprawl. It significantly reduced the amount of houses to be built, which would reduce sprawl. If Watson Hill develops under NC jurisdiction, it will be massive "urban sprawl" because the whole area does not have the infrastructure to support such density.

Densifying makes sense in NC's and Chas's infill developments, not way out in the middle of rural Dorchester County. NC's annexation to allow dense development in an area that cannot handle it is, IMO, hypocritical if the city wants to reduce sprawl. The only road residents could use is SC 61, a 2-lane scenic highway. This highway is already backed up from Bees Ferry Road to Sam Rittenberg because it is mostly 2 lanes. The effects of this development will be felt severely because of that.

Yes, but I think you misunderstood why I thought it was hypocritical. As the NC mayor continues to annex further out, he has now prohibited Chas from expanding into that region which geographically makes more sense. It is West Ashley, after all. The county was going to down zone the development, and I don't think this would have encouraged sprawl. It significantly reduced the amount of houses to be built, which would reduce sprawl. If Watson Hill develops under NC jurisdiction, it will be massive "urban sprawl" because the whole area does not have the infrastructure to support such density.

Densifying makes sense in NC's and Chas's infill developments, not way out in the middle of rural Dorchester County. NC's annexation to allow dense development in an area that cannot handle it is, IMO, hypocritical if the city wants to reduce sprawl. The only road residents could use is SC 61, a 2-lane scenic highway. This highway is already backed up from Bees Ferry Road to Sam Rittenberg because it is mostly 2 lanes. The effects of this development will be felt severely because of that.

I understand your position better now. However I would disagree that downzoning that property would not encourage sprawl. That parcel (Watson Hill) will very shorty be surrounded by development and will be site of a new High school. Legend Oaks is building hundreds of home right across hwy 165 from the site. The new HS will bring more development. This area is going to develop. Limiting density on that property will merely force the development further our into Ravenel and up 61 along Hwy 17A (where there are already developments planned or starting)

Archived