What food represents your state/area

Snowguy716

West Tennessee: Pork BBQ, fried catfish, hush puppies, white beans (with hamhock), and country ham.

stop it rural! you're making me miss jackson! man i miss the cat fish fries at my grandparents. one thing though, you forgot the watermelon! and don't forget the strawberry shortcakes from humbolt! haha. nashville also has a special delicacy (sp?), the worlds hottest chicken. if ya'll don't believe me, make a stop down to prince's. your mouth will not like you for a few days. haha.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the vinegar-based cole slaw in North Carolina (it looks red and nasty).

In Georgia, the cole slaw is mayonnaise-based, and it looks like cole slaw is supposed to look: white.

That too is more of a western N.C. thing. In the east the slaw is more likely to be mayonnaise-based also. Although you do see all kinds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

stop it rural! you're making me miss jackson! man i miss the cat fish fries at my grandparents. one thing though, you forgot the watermelon! and don't forget the strawberry shortcakes from humbolt! haha. nashville also has a special delicacy (sp?), the worlds hottest chicken. if ya'll don't believe me, make a stop down to prince's. your mouth will not like you for a few days. haha.

Yeah, fried chicken also applies to Memphis. Specifically, Gus's. Best. Food. Ever.

I live in Southeastern CT, which isn't really known for its culinary prowess, but it is the home to the origin of the terms "sub" and "grinder" for sandwiches. In New London or Groton (not sure, stories conflict), the term "sub" was coined by a sandwich maker who noted the shape of the bread and the submarines that his customers, employees at electric boat and sailors from the nearby Groton sub base, built or "sailed" in. The grinder (eastern CT and Rhode Island term for sub) was also coined in New London. This was coined at a local deli that named the sandwiches after the electric boat employees who frequented the shop, many of whose jobs were rivit grinding on the submarines being built.

Other than that useless nugget of history, there really isn't anything that stands out around here that doesn't in the rest of New England. When you order clam chowder you must specify New England or you may be surprised with a clear variety that tastes like extra salty chicken soup (RI clam chowder). Winter Squash (butternut, acorn) is available most of the year in supermarkets, and in Mystic there is one of the oldest (possibly the oldest) wooden cider presses in the USA. Several years back there was a bacteria scare at a cider mill in Western CT so now it's illegal to sell the stuff unpasteurized, which I think takes away a bit from the flavor. Still, you can't beat a jug of sweet apple cider from a local mill with anything you'd find in the supermarket.

What's with the vinegar-based cole slaw in North Carolina (it looks red and nasty).

In Georgia, the cole slaw is mayonnaise-based, and it looks like cole slaw is supposed to look: white.

In Germany Cole Slaw is vinegar based... and tastes much better than any mayonaise based I've had. But that's just because I don't like mayonaise.

I also like German potato salad much more (also vinegar based)... I don't understand why we have to "Make it better" by slathering it all in mayonaise and mustard and crap.. it just makes it taste like disgusting goop.

Here in Austria there are many many things that are distinctive of the culture:

Wienerschnitzel (Veenershnitzel)- A veal steak breaded and fried. Served with Preiselbeeren (a small mountain berry that is a little bitter like a cranberry.)

GO0053.JPG

Speck- pronounced Shpeck-Different varieties of salted pork. Each region has its own specialty. Common in supermarkets are Bauernspeck (Farmers speck) and Carierspeck (a fattier speck)

51020.jpg

Wurst- There are lots of types of *vurst* that come from this region of hte world: Particuarly tasty are currywurst, weisswurst, bratwurst, knackerwurst, and leberk

all you RI'ers are forgetting a couple things...

hot weiners and coffee milk... and let's not forget frozen lemonade and clam cakes.

and for those of you who like clam chowder... for some reason i can't find a place taht has RI clam chowder (clear broth) here... it's all NE clam chowder (cream broth)

and for those of you who like clam chowder... for some reason i can't find a place taht has RI clam chowder (clear broth) here... it's all NE clam chowder (cream broth)

Heh .... I run into too much RI Clam Chowder here in New London county, CT; mostly in local establishments ... the chains are all NE.

For Pittsburgh it would have to be Primanti's famous coleslaw, french fry and ham sammich!

http://www.primantibros.com/default.asp

The write up in National Geographic (we're exotic after all):

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/03...ure6/index.html

2 slices Italian bread

5-6 slices ham, thin

2 slices provolone cheese

1/4 cup coleslaw

2 slices tomatoes

1 cup French fries, still warm

For Pittsburgh it would have to be Primanti's famous coleslaw, french fry and ham sammich!

http://www.primantibros.com/default.asp

The write up in National Geographic (we're exotic after all):

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/03...ure6/index.html

2 slices Italian bread

5-6 slices ham, thin

2 slices provolone cheese

1/4 cup coleslaw

2 slices tomatoes

1 cup French fries, still warm

is that all together on a sandwich? sounds interesting...

^^yeah I think it was the Nat Geo article that said that a Primanti makes a Dagwood look weak lol.

Primanti's has restaurants all over Western Pennsylvania as well as a handful in the beach communities of Florida (with the large expatriot community down there from the 'burgh plus the growth on noobs).

Oh and yes thats all on the sandwich, the original Market Square and Smallman Street locations (in downtown Pittsburgh) created it in the 1930's two theories on where it came from:

1) Being the depths of the great depression and serving the working class and poor, they made their sandwiches affordable by not buying plates, silverwear, and the like, thus putting everything on the sandwich.

2) Serving the mill workers and teamster truck drivers from the 30's to the 50's and beyond, many just wanted to put the whole meal on the sandwich and eat on the run or while working equipment, thus a real steel city creation, food you can chow down on like a king while still doing that heavy industrial work on walking towards it.

all you RI'ers are forgetting a couple things...

hot weiners and coffee milk... and let's not forget frozen lemonade and clam cakes.

I hate coffee milk... Del's is the state drink in my mind. Or Recchia's Downcity Chiller - Vodka w/Del's on a hot summer night.

I had RI clam chowda' at Dave's Bar & Grill last week. It was one of their daily specials (they usually just have NE). The best NE chowda' (I should say the best fish, period.) is at Legal Sea Foods.

I hate coffee milk... Del's is the state drink in my mind. Or Recchia's Downcity Chiller - Vodka w/Del's on a hot summer night.

I had RI clam chowda' at Dave's Bar & Grill last week. It was one of their daily specials (they usually just have NE). The best NE chowda' (I should say the best fish, period.) is at Legal Sea Foods.

del's isnt even the best frozen lemonade in my opinion.

and don't get me going on how overpriced legal sea food is, nevermind the fact that the food isn't that great...

Archived