What food represents your state/area

Snowguy716

where is the best frozen lemonade?

And I love coffee milk, though I first tasted mine in Maine, made by Oakhurst dairy. In fact, I drank more coffee milk living outside of RiI than I do now that I live here.

i prefer mr lemon. it's on hawkins street near admiral. it's the only location.

i only had coffee milk once. i was at uconn and a kid on my floor was from RI, so he brought some coffee syrup and made us all try it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

In the Glades of Florida (near Lake Okeechobee) you can get Alligator, frog legs, and other swamp meats. I never got used to Florida lobster, but I really like conch which is basically some sort of sea snail. You can find great Cuban food just about anywhere of course. BBQ is varied. I've had good and bad. Tomato and mustard based sauces seem to be the most popular. I like both!

Here in South Carolina we have:

• boiled peanuts (The Governor just signed a bill making it the official state snack food)

• barbeque (also the noun). SC's major contribution is the mustard based sauce- though all varieties are enjoyed

• peaches (more peach exports than Georgia: the Peach State!)

• shrimp-n-grits

• Lowcountry boil

• sweet tea

I am sure there are more, but thats enough for now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here in South Carolina we have:

[*]boiled peanuts (The Governor just signed a bill making it the official state snack food)

[*]barbeque (also the noun). SC's major contribution is the mustard based sauce- though all varieties are enjoyed

[*]peaches (more peach exports than Georgia: the Peach State!)

[*]shrimp-n-grits

[*]Lowcountry boil

[*]sweet tea

All very familar.... mmmmmmmm

Michigan - Cherries

Detroit - Coney Dogs!

Oops! I forgot PACZKI! (They're a real heavy and very fattening jelly doughnut, a Metro Detroit Polish traditional treat eaten on Fat Tuesday.)

And we'd wash it down with Faygo or Vernors pop!

Well, being in Wisconsin, the most obvious two food groups are beer and brats. Some people here actually consider them to be a single food group. :lol:

However, there are a few other foods that are popular. Subs (hoagies, in some parts of the country) are very popular here. The biggest local chain is Cousin's, which was begun by two Italian cousins who moved here from New Jersey. I think the subs from Cousin's are much better than that big national chain. There is also a recent local upstart, called Suburpia. I have never had one of their subs, but I've heard very mixed reviews about it. :sick: Popular types of fish include Walleye, Lake Perch, Whitefish, and Trout. The Friday night fish fry is a Wisconsin cultural institution; it is not just observed by Catholics, nor is it just done during Lent. Up in Door County, the fish boil is very popular. Lake Michigan Whitefish is used for that. The fish boil is an institution in itself.

There are many German restaurants here, some are way better than others. One of the most well known by tourists is far from being the most popular with the locals, and isn't that great. All German restaurants serve wienerschnitzel, in many varieties. There are also restaurants of other ethnic varieties, many of which are owned and operated by natives of those countries. The most numerous in Milwaukee are Polish, Italian, and Serbian. :P

As was stated by those from Michigan, cherry pie is also popular north of Milwaukee, up through Door County. Pasties are also popular in the northwoods of Wisconsin, just like in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

I have to go; I'm hungry for a brat now! :P

In Hawaii

Non-Native Stuff that are very main stream (stuff you could even find at Mcdonalds or 711 too!).

Rice, Spam & Spam Musubi, Linguica (Portuguese Sausage), Saimin, Pasteles (Puerto Rican style), Hum/Char Siu Bow (known as Manapua in Hawaii), Shu/Shio Mai (Chinese pork dumpling known as Pork Hash in Hawaii), lumpia (Filipino style egg role), Pao Doce (Portuguese Sweet Bread), Malasadas (Portuguese deep fried doughnut), Okinawan donuts, Sashimi, Kim-Chee, Shoyu, Bacalao/Bacalhau Salad (introduced by the Puerto Rican and Portuguese communities), Portuguese Bean Soup, Beef Curry, Teriyaki Chicken, Kalbi (Korean Short Ribs), etc

Had to show a few pics because these aren't as main stream anywhere else in the U.S.

Linguica (Portuguese sausage) Yum!

regohotlarge.gif

Pork Hash

porkhash.jpg

Saimin

saiminlarge.gif

Manapua (Hum Bow) and in Hawaii they come in many unique flavors (Curry Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, etc not just the tradition Char Siu)

manapualrg.gif

Spam Musubi - one of those uniquely Hawaii mixed ethnic cross over foods

spam-musubi1.jpg

Mmm Malasadas! I think the Madeiran immigrants were the ones to introduce it to Hawaii and as with a lot of things in Hawaii this was cross-polinated and now you can find them stuff with (Passion Fruit, etc)

champion.jpg

Okinawan Doughnuts also known as Andagi - good stuff but i can only eat so many before i get tired of them

art1c.jpg

Mmm... Pasteles - Muchas Gracias Puerto Rico! - I remember when i was a kid the Puerto Ricans (family and children) used to go door to door to sell these things, wrapped in aluminum foil :D memories.

stuffs.jpg

Hawaiian Favorites

Lau Lau, Kalua Pig, Poi, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Poke, Haupia (Coconut pudding), Kulolo (Taro pudding) Pipi Kaula (Hawaiian Jerky), Uhi (Yam), etc

Archived