King Edward Hotel

tombarnes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be an awful shortsighted crime to implode that building. Even if something doesn't happen with it immediately, in the next couple years some sort of development is a sure thing I would bet.

Btw--do you have anything about Farrish (sp?) St? Pics or news?

• 1 month later...

Is Mr. Melton Changing His Tune?

A recent article in the Jackson Free Press indicates that the mayor may be changing his tune on the King Edward. Let's hope this goes forward without any more funding glitches.

"However, a March 17 letter from Frank Melton to House Ways and Means Chairman Percy Watson, D-Hattiesburg, suggests a turnaround. The letter expressed the mayor’s full support for the passage of the amendment to House Bill 1495, even adding that his office had been hard at work at renovating the building, despite his numerous past calls for its “implosion.”

“My office and the city council have been working tirelessly to make the redevelopment of the King Edward a reality, and we believe that this measure will be the jump-start needed to make this happen,” Melton wrote in the letter."

A turnaround? I hope so.

The local tv stations are reporting tonight that the house voted to loan $2 million to JRA for the King Edward project. The guv says he is in favor of it also, so without his veto, the deal will go through and work to remove asbestos and lead paint should begin in the next couple of weeks. This is as close as it's ever been! It's happening - the King Edward lives!

The local tv stations are reporting tonight that the house voted to loan $2 million to JRA for the King Edward project. The guv says he is in favor of it also, so without his veto, the deal will go through and work to remove asbestos and lead paint should begin in the next couple of weeks. This is as close as it's ever been! It's happening - the King Edward lives!

Jackson Free Press

This is the best news I have heard in years for the King Edward!!!

Note: The salient point is not in the article itself, which is almost a week old, but in the comments following the article. I'll be posting more as soon as I find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuckle of the Day

Mr. Melton appears to have changed his tune about the King Edward, but his reference to the "message sent by Hurricane Katrina" is oddly timed. Katrina struck on 29 August. He wanted to tear down the King Edward as recently as January, 2006. Whatever his moment on the road to Damascus may have been, it's good to see that it has happened.

WLBT Channel 3- Jackson

Wow! Those photos from inside of the King Edward were amazing! I definately would not have wanted to be roaming around a structure in that bad of shape.

The escalator pic was pretty interesting IMO. Something surreal about it.

I also found the views from the King Edward of downtown to be pretty darn good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WORK TO BEING AUGUST 1st!!!

The City Council approved the deal today!! Work will begin on the 1st of August. This is a great day for the City of Jackson and the Sate of Mississippi. This major piece of news is buried in an article more concerned with the council's reaction to Mr. Melton's latest antics than with the true meaning of this for the city.

The Clarion Ledger

Another news report from WLBT Channel 3....I have talked with Mr. Watkins and he seems confident that the building is in decent structural shape. There is just a LOT of interior demolition and clean-up work to be done before the new project will take shape....

WLBT 3 NEWS

A news clip from WAPT Channel 16 about the parking concerns with the King Edward project. It's possible that part of the Standard Life Building site could be used to build a 450 car parking garage. In any event, these concerns are not likely to delay the project. The environmental clean-up work will begin in August and construction should begin in January, 2007.

WAPT Channel 16

Archived