King Edward Hotel

tombarnes

Completion Date for King Edward Now Projected for 2009

Despite rising costs and the slow pace of restoring a historic building, the King Edward is on track to be completed in 2009. The number of hotel rooms has risen to 192 and the building will include 50 high-end apartments instead of condominium units. The details of the parking garage, swimming pool and so forth are being worked out now.

The Clarion Ledger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, I'll take pics and post often when the really get going.

Let me add that in the picture above where you see the parking garage and a little of the lawn area, is where the new Pinnacle building is going in. I've seen the plans...it's an exciting project. I look forward to seeing it go up and it will start soon, I'm told. That sterile looking parking garage is getting a face lift to add character to go with the new project and I know they were looking at demolishing that exit ramp on Captiol Street. I hope they do. whoever approved the design in the first place and allowed it to be constructed should be flogged with a sh...ty mop!

It's exciting to see how the scope of the project has changed over time. It's also reassuring to see that this is being done with the blessing of the Department of Archives and History. I''m sure that Mr. Watkins and his group are taking care to see that this is going to be the crown jewel of downtown Jackson. The easy thing to do would have been to throw in some cheap apartments or offices and have done with it. It's not every day that one finds developers with patience.

I wonder if they are looking at one of those new automated parking systems for the garage?

Article from the Clayco Website

A small article on the Clayco website sheds light on the architectural/design team which will be working on the King Edward. As noted in the article above, actual construction will not begin until this fall. The environmental clean-up work should be finished by the end of March or early April. The design will be worked out in the coming months. The Forum Studio will be working in conjunction with HRI on the project. I'll try to find some of their work to post here.

Claycorp.com- CLAYCO website

The Forum Studio Inc. is the architectural arm of Clayco. They will be designing the new King Edward. Their projects include the Vue in Charlotte and the Cupples Station lofts in St. Louis among many others. I don't think anyone should have any worries about their ability to produce a handsome design. Furthermore, their track record for cost-efficiency is a solid one.

• 2 months later...

King Edward- Deed Transfer in June

The deed to the King Edward will officially be transferred to the Watkins Partners/HRI in June. Asbestos abatement and remediation work has been completed and the actual construction should begin by November. The total number of hotel rooms stands at 186. One interesting item mentioned in the story below is the possibility of a second swimming pool on the roof above the 12th floor. A new pool and health club will be built where the existing pool now stands on the third floor.

WAPT Channel 16 News- video

• 3 weeks later...

Construction to Begin in November

The project is in the design phase right now, with heavy construction scheduled to begin in November. The design work must be completed before anything else can proceed. I don't anticipate any major delays, so the work should be completed in the first quarter of 2009.

WLBY Channel 3 News

A tour was given today by developer David Watkins. He gave a press confrence on the progress of The King Edward. Check out the pics!

Clarion Ledger

Pics of King Edward

I definitely want to come down to Jackson and check out the King Edward when its re-opened. I remember standing and taking pics of the King Edward back in Jan of 05 and thinking what a great structure it was and how horrible it was that it was in such terrible condition in the heart of downtown. It was not long after when I read on the forum boards the posts from tombarnes that the structure was potentially going to get new life, and now here we are and its all going forward.

This is one of the best re-fab projects I have ever seen or heard about. Its says great things about the direction that Jackson is heading. I think Jackson and Mississippi are doing the right things to move the state forward in really noticable and signifcant ways, the state has been for years, but now its really starting to show in terms of economic and urban developments.

An Interesting Twist?

In a brief article in the Jackson Free Press, the possibility of the Standard Life Building project being combined with the King Edward to provide additional hotel rooms is raised. This is something I hadn't really considered previously. Of course, Mayor Melton will probably try his best to see that the Standard Life Building is turned over to his friend in Dallas- Mr. Phillips. The possibility of additional rooms in the Standard Life Building opens up a world of possibilities for the scope of the project. Stay tuned for more developments.

The Jackson Free Press

Currently, the Jackson Police Department has a few offices in the Standard Life Building, though most of these may have been moved over to the newly renovated police headquarters building. There are city oficed (like the JRA) and other commercial tenants in the building. It's definitely not vacant, but needs a serious overhaul. Hotel or apartment use would be a good idea, as renovating it into Class A office space would be expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More Idiocy From Mayor Melton

I can't begin to understand what thought processes go on in the mind of Frank Melton. He publicly changed his tune on the King Edward project, but is now badmouthing it again. I suppose his Texas friends want to get their hands on it? The project is moving forward nicely, thank you very much. What possible good can come from Mr. Melton's negativity?

WLBT TV Channel 3 News

• 1 month later...

King Edward Project Funding Moves Forward

Another piece of the funding for the renovation of the King Edward and the Standard Life Building has fallen into place. The remaining $30m should be in place by the end of September. Work is expected to begin in November. This project is indeed the heart of the renaissance of downtown Jackson and should help to propel the city forward.

The Clarion-Ledger

Archived