King Edward Hotel

tombarnes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melton's Trip to Dallas

Mr. Melton flew to Dallas on Wednesday to discuss redevelopment plans for the King Edweard with billionaire investor Gene Phillips. Unfortunately, Phillips has a somewhat questionable past. Melto also does not have the authority to switch investors at this point. He should leave the project alone. The Watkins Partners and HRI are moving forward with the renovation. As usual, Melton's mouth is going to get him into trouble.

WLBT Channel 3 News- story and video clip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's weird. How can a increasingly decrepit structure be cleaned and reconstructed? Wasn't this scheduled for demolition years ago?

There has been much idle talk over the years about either renovation or demolition for the King Edward. The structural analysis thus far has indicated that the King Edward can indeed be restored. As you see in the posts above, the HRI Group and David Watkins are committed to the project. It is happening already. Once the debris has been cleared away, the King Edward will shine again.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the King Edward. I just spoke with David Watkins about the project. Due to certain technicalities, it will be necessary to re-bid the project. This should only cause a delay of a month. It is expected that the cranes will be up in December. Look for a major flag on the hotel, though it will almost certainly retain its name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Edison Walthall Hotel

The Edison Walthall is still doing a decent business, but I have often wished that the hotel could be truly restored. In spite of many expensive renovations over the years, the damage done to the building in the early 1960's (it was converted into a Downtowner Motor Inn) renders the structure as essentially a high-rise motel. The facade was damaged when multi-colored metal panels were placed all around the building. I am curious if much of the original neo-Gothic detail exists under the panels. It would be a real ornament to Capitol Street if the facade could be restored. In business sense, I think the hotel is doing well, but it ought to be restored properly. I realize that Mr. Gaylor has done much to improve the hotel, but there is still a long way to go.

Edison Walthall Hotel

The Edison Walthall is still doing a decent business, but I have often wished that the hotel could be truly restored. In spite of many expensive renovations over the years, the damage done to the building in the early 1960's (it was converted into a Downtowner Motor Inn) renders the structure as essentially a high-rise motel. The facade was damaged when multi-colored metal panels were placed all around the building. I am curious if much of the original neo-Gothic detail exists under the panels. It would be a real ornament to Capitol Street if the facade could be restored. In business sense, I think the hotel is doing well, but it ought to be restored properly. I realize that Mr. Gaylor has done much to improve the hotel, but there is still a long way to go.

In July 2005 I stayed in the Edison while taking the Bar exam, and I was very impressed with the layout - I chose to stay there rather than bother with the other 300 taking the exam in the Marriot, and found the rooms to be quite accommodating - The bar was nice, too - Very cool area that I wish I would've frequented more while in college

The dining room and bar are possibly the best attributes of the Edison Walthall. I also liked the barber shop/salon they have just off the lobby. The staff were exceptionally friendly. I just don't like what they have done to the building as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Workers Are Removing Asbestos From the King Edward

A team of workers is removing asbestos from the King Edward Hotel. Once this is completed in mid-March, the next phase will be underway- final structural inspection. The design phase will follow immediately. Previous structural inspections have revealed nothing which would hinder the project, but the design phase cannot begin until the next round of inspections has been completed. Once I have more information about the architectural firm and designs selected for the project, I will post the information.

The Clarion Ledger

Archived