King Edward Hotel

tombarnes

Work Expected to Begin in November!

David Watkins has stated that work is expected to begin in November on the King Edward. Two important things have occurred recently with the project. The title was stransferred from the Jackson Redevelopment Authority to the HRI/Watkins Partners group earlier this week. Two dilapidated buildings across Capitol Street from the King Edward have been purchased and will be renovated as well. Work on the Standard Life building will begin in a few months. The necessary approval from the Department of Archives and History is expected "any day now." All told, the project now stands at $105m for both the King Edward and the Standard Life building. It is truly heartening to see that Mr. Watkins, HRI and all involved are so obviously deeply committed to the project and to downtown Jackson. The opening is expected in mid-2009.

The Jackson Free Press

Note: Scroll to the bottom of the blog entries for Mr. Watkins' entry. He is listed as "Pops."

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Hamilton Associates to Design Interiors of the King Edward

I just found this on the web. Thomas Hamilton Associates of Richmond will be designing the interiors of the King Edward. Apparently, the hotel portion of the project will bear the Hilton Garden Inn flag. While I would have preferred to see a full-fledged Hilton flag, it is not surprising that this particular flag was chosen for the existing market. It will stilll be a beautiful restoration. Work should be started before the end of the year.

Thomas Hamilton Associates

Thomas Hamilton Associates to Design Interiors of the King Edward

I just found this on the web. Thomas Hamilton Associates of Richmond will be designing the interiors of the King Edward. Apparently, the hotel portion of the project will bear the Hilton Garden Inn flag. While I would have preferred to see a full-fledged Hilton flag, it is not surprising that this particular flag was chosen for the existing market. It will stilll be a beautiful restoration. Work should be started before the end of the year.

Thomas Hamilton Associates

I would have preferred more of a full-service hotel myself. It is, however, far better to see this development go through than for the status quo to have been maintained. I suspect that the market realities of downtown Jackson's hotel market may have dictated the choice of the flag. Still, I wonder why Baton Rouge and Shreveport can receive full service Hiltons and Jackson cannot? It might have everything to do with the presence of the existing Hilton in north Jackson. Hilton Garden or no, I still think this will be an impressive project. The limited number of hotel rooms (186) may also have caused disinterest with some hotel operators. Most full-service Hiltons will generally have more than 200 rooms. I'm still hoping for the best and don't wish to discredit the very hard work that David Watkins and HRI have put into this project in any way. If it is a Hilton Garden property, so be it. Far better than a vacant and decaying hulk of a building. Far, far better than a hole in the ground.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like this project is moving along nicely. What level of service is a Hilton Garden Inn comparative too? I know nothing of that brand.

Hopefully Mayor Melton won't interfere with this project or renovation of the Standard Life. Both buildings deserve to get redeveloped as planned without political interference late in the game.

Hilton Garden Inns/Hotels is one of Hilton's more mid-range offerings, though that does not always translate into lower rates. Most of them offer amenities like full service restaurants, swimming pools and a few have health clubs and other offerings. I'll find a link for you of another Hilton Garden property developed by HRI in New Orleans. I had thought that the King Edward would carry the full Hilton name, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, the existing Hilton in north Jackson may be one reason the King Edward won't be flying the full flag. The number of rooms (probably about 180) is also a bit on the small side for a full Hilton. To the best of my knowledge, however, this renovation will bring very nice rooms and restored public spaces. At least one swimming pool is planned as well- possibly on the roof. The health club will be Deuce McAllister's bailiwick.

HRI/ Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans

Thanks for the great link!

The brand seems pretty nice and to me at least sounds like it would be a good fit for the structure if a full Hilton is out of the question.

Does the Hilton Garden Inn brand tend to be located in redeveloped properties? I ask because I noticed the one in New Orleans was in the top portion an redeveloped office tower.

Does the Hilton Garden Inn brand tend to be located in redeveloped properties? I ask because I noticed the one in New Orleans was in the top portion an redeveloped office tower.

Most Hilton Garden Inns have been built from the ground up in suburban locations. This has changed in recent years with many urban properties being built. The HGI on Franklin Square here in Washington is very popular, if not especially memorable. I think that Hilton is willing to build these in more creative ways now that the brand has ben proven to be a success.

• 3 weeks later...

Tombarnes, I'll answer your question posted at JFP here. they have closed off the portion of Mill Street adjacent to the KH and are installing the base for a construction elevator to be located on the outside of the structure during construction. David Watkins was on a local talk radio station recently and I believe he said they intended to use two such temporary elevators. they are hauling all kind of construction equipment in to the site. I'd expect interior demolition to start as soon as those elevators are installed. It's happening.

Archived