Which Triad City Do you Think a New mall will do well in?

Tre 4

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a small mall be built in North Winston or like a lifestyle center. A huge sprawling mall would not look right up there. It would be kind of cool if they didn't build another mall and just kept adding on to Hanes like they did to SouthPark.

I hope that one day the cities of the Triad will get beyond the need to build new malls. There really isn't anything good about them.

But, it is kind of neat to have them. I do understand what you mean and I agree with you. If north Winston wants more shopping then I propose they do something unique, but I don't know what.

If a new mall had to be built, i would suggest somewhere in the middle of the 3 cities so it would entice a lot of new development from close driving distances of 3 cities. If this mall was built though, Hanes and Four Seasons would likely see revenue drops but then again, if gas prices stay high/go higher, maybe people wont drive very far to the Greenston Point Mall. ;)

I hope that one day the cities of the Triad will get beyond the need to build new malls. There really isn't anything good about them.

The world does not need one more mall. The world needs public spaces that honor citizenship, not corporate retail palaces that honor consumerism.

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of the book Mall Maker by M. Jeffery Hardwick. It's the story of Victor Gruen, the architect behind America's first malls. It's an eye opener about the thinking behind regional shopping centers and it explains how malls can be a good thing when done correctly.

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of the book Mall Maker by M. Jeffery Hardwick. It's the story of Victor Gruen, the architect behind America's first malls. It's an eye opener about the thinking behind regional shopping centers and it explains how malls can be a good thing when done correctly.

I've read that book.....it's very interesting and pleasant to read! :)

If a new mall had to be built, i would suggest somewhere in the middle of the 3 cities so it would entice a lot of new development from close driving distances of 3 cities. If this mall was built though, Hanes and Four Seasons would likely see revenue drops but then again, if gas prices stay high/go higher, maybe people wont drive very far to the Greenston Point Mall. ;)

Greenston Point Mall should be it. Where I-40, Business 40 converge. Just south of Colfax.

None. Malls are a thing of the past. Lets concentrate on revitilizing our center cities. Malls, shopping centers and suburban sprawl should be discouraged.

NO MORE MALLS... Pedestrian oriented Main Street type developments would be preferred.. Also, let's keep working on our city centers and our abundance of vacant commercial space...

You know what you guys sound like? In the immortal words of Salt-N-Pepa...

(Yo, Pep, I don't think they're gonna play this on the radio

And why not? Everybody has sex

I mean, everybody should be makin' love

Come on, how many guys you know make love?)

My point: People talk junk about malls, but the lot's always full :)

The world does not need one more mall. The world needs public spaces that honor citizenship, not corporate retail palaces that honor consumerism.

NO MORE MALLS... Pedestrian oriented Main Street type developments would be preferred.. Also, let's keep working on our city centers and our abundance of vacant commercial space...

To my reading, all three of these posts point towards one solution. Instead of developing a new mall that would require defacing another forest, leveling topography, building additional roads, etc. the obvious place for retail development is downtown. Downtown with its gridded streets and sidewalks is a pedestrian oriented, public space where citizens could actually interact with each other face-to-face instead of SUV-to-SUV. Taking a plan along the lines of what Hotlanta proposed in the "Show Your True Colors" post about lining 4th Street with retail could be a starting point. I would, however, more evenly distribute it throughout downtown from the Burke St/Brookstown area east along 4th and 5th to PTRP and north and south along Spruce, Cherry, Marshall, Trade, Liberty, Main, etc from 1st to 8th or 9th St. And, there should be provisions for some local retailers (Windsor Jewelers, Norman Stockton, Piedmont Music Center, etc) in addition to the chains Hotlanta proposed. There are plenty of precedents for this kind of development in cities/markets of comparable size to Winston-Salem and there are plenty of buildings (that were formerly retail) that could be revitalized. Ideally, you create enough density of uses that you have a pedestrian friendly environment from Old Salem/Gateway area to 8th St/MLK/Liberty and from US52 to Grace Court. And, just think what it would do to rates of obesity...

The reality is when the Triad get another mall it will be a typical indoor mall or something similar to the Streets of South Point in Durham. Developers dont have any imagination and are only interested in making an investment for a huge return. My prediction is a "regional" mall will likely be built on the Guilford/Foryth County line between I-40 and Business 40. Or if Greensboro builds another mall, it will be near the I-840 and Bryan Blvd interchange in Northwest Greensboro near the airport. Those are the most realistic locations for inclosed regional malls at least in or near Greensboro.

im not really against enclosed malls...i like them just as much as the town center designs. I too would like retail to return downtown, but not on the scale of a shopping mall. maybe a few stores here and there like in downtown Charleston or Broughton Street in Savannah. that seems about right for our downtowns.

There's a site on Silas Creek Pkwy at the intersection of Fairlwan Dr. that would make a perfect site for a mall...preferably more upscale. the street is wide enough to handle the traffic, and its already surrounded by retail/offices/high-density housing. That area has a healthy enough demographic to support one.

NW Greensboro also seems logical for a new mall since so much housing and retail is being constructed in that area.

im not really against enclosed malls...i like them just as much as the town center designs. I too would like retail to return downtown, but not on the scale of a shopping mall. maybe a few stores here and there like in downtown Charleston or Broughton Street in Savannah. that seems about right for our downtowns.

There's a site on Silas Creek Pkwy at the intersection of Fairlwan Dr. that would make a perfect site for a mall...preferably more upscale. the street is wide enough to handle the traffic, and its already surrounded by retail/offices/high-density housing. That area has a healthy enough demographic to support one.

NW Greensboro also seems logical for a new mall since so much housing and retail is being constructed in that area.

I always through that we could use some big box shops there a mall would fit will.

:yahoo:

Does anyony one know how to do a poll when you starte a new topic every time i fill the poll part out it never shows up.

that's a good idea of a mall on fairlawn but I don't think it is big enough. If you drive by there you can see that at one time it was supposed to extend and go through Silas Creek.

QUOTE(triadguy37 @ Jan 25 2006, 05:49 PM) *

None. Malls are a thing of the past. Lets concentrate on revitilizing our center cities. Malls, shopping centers and suburban sprawl should be discouraged.

QUOTE(suburban george3 @ Jan 25 2006, 08:39 PM) *

You know what you guys sound like? In the immortal words of Salt-N-Pepa...

(Yo, Pep, I don't think they're gonna play this on the radio

And why not? Everybody has sex

I mean, everybody should be makin' love

Come on, how many guys you know make love?)

My point: People talk junk about malls, but the lot's always full smile.gif

:rofl:

The real preference would be for a major "mall" with brand names in downtown W-S, but the critical mass is probably not yet there. Northside is developing, but the likely location will be southeast Forsyth County with the Dell development, and which would draw from High Point and southeast Guilford County, unless of course it would be competing with Four Seasons?

The real preference would be for a major "mall" with brand names in downtown W-S, but the critical mass is probably not yet there. Northside is developing, but the likely location will be southeast Forsyth County with the Dell development, and which would draw from High Point and southeast Guilford County, unless of course it would be competing with Four Seasons?

Or Oak Hollow? That area is really booming with residential properites and I think we may see an outdoor type of mall in that area.

Archived