UPN, WB Networks to cease in the Fall

upstate29650

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 is actually owned by Sinclair, who also owns WLOS.

Thats the one. I was thinking about 32 which covers the northest Georgia (out of Toccoa) part of our market area, which is owned by CBS.

There is an article about it on GoUpstate today if you wish to know some of the other details. Use BugMeNot to get around the sign in.

I am unsure what the final result will be at the end. Between WBSC-TV 40 and WASV-TV 62, one will be a CW affiliate and the other will go independent.

WBSC-TV 40 does not have that strong of a signal. There are times it has blacked out along with WLOS-TV 13 as they both share the same tower in North Carolina somewhere.

WASV-TV 62 already has a newscast from WSPA-TV 7, so that may be enticing to land CW.

Well, if they use 62 for the network, I hope they'll fix the picture quality....The color is always dull and ther picture looks blurry. :blink: What would this mean for 40 - maybe a spanish station or something?

I do not know if the Greenville=Spartaburg-Anderson, SC/Asheville, NC television market has enough Hispanic viewers yet to support a local Telemundo and/or Univision affiliate. Both networks are available as cable channels on full cable lineups like Charter.

The Hispanic population is growing in this region, and flipping 40 to Telemundo or Univision may make some sense. They already have a slot on cable (40, that is), and to dump the satellite feed would, if anything, save Charter money...money that could be used to bring in a new channel or move one down off the digital side.

Programming from the 1950s through the 1980s are in a dying format. Most programs are shown on TV Land and are available on boxed DVD sets.

Which station(s) could upstate SC use? In my opinion:

-a local Spanish language affiliate (Azteca America (AZT); Telefutura (TFT); Telemundo (TDO); Univision (UVN))

-a local regional news affiliate

-a local regional sports affiliate

Programming from the 1950s through the 1980s are in a dying format. Most programs are shown on TV Land and are available on boxed DVD sets.

Which station(s) could upstate SC use? In my opinion:

-a local Spanish language affiliate (Azteca America (AZT); Telefutura (TFT); Telemundo (TDO); Univision (UVN))

-a local regional news affiliate

-a local regional sports affiliate

I think sports would be the way to go, personally.

Pre-season games for the the pro Atlanta & Charlotte teams, as well as regular season games that aren't being carried by cable. College sports also. Maybe even some High School football. When sports isn't on, I'd say movies.

But from a money standpoint, I think we'll see Hispanic programming.

Does anyone know much of WBSC-TV 40's earlier days? I vaguely remember it as WAXA-TV 40, the Upstate's simucast of WLOS-TV 13 (ABC), from the 1980s.

WAXA was also the market's original Fox affiliate from 1986-88/89 (WHNS 21 picked up Fox after that) before that. They were off the air until 91/92 and THEN they became the WLOS simulcast until 95...the station became independent and the calls were changed to...WFBC (WYFF's former calls). WFBC was C-40, the independent, with both WB and UPN on 62 WASV (97-99) until 1999 when WFBC picked up the WB and became the current WBSC-WB 40. Of my understanding before WAXA, Channel 40 was also an ABC/CBS affiliate, WAIM-TV since 1953.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived